Feature Request - generate password during new secure note entry

Options

It should be possible to generate a password any place I can save a password. For example, say, in the main app I create a new secure note. One of the label:field combinations is going to be a username:password. There is nowhere on the page to generate a password. There is no way from the gear menu to generate a password. There should be a button on the page, or an icon in the "new field" entry box, like there are on new login, or new password, or an entry for Generate Password in the drop-down gear menu. Some way to generate a password while you're creating a new secure note.

Now, you might think, just use the browser plugin in another window to generate the password. Great idea, except for the way the UI works. If you pull up the password generator from the browser extension, when you hit the blue "Copy" button, it autocreates a password entry in your default vault and the main app window jumps to that entry, obliterating that secure note you just spent 5 min filling out, that only needed one last thing - the password. Also cluttering up the "P" section of your default vault, which now has an entry for every single time you used the password generator... And it closes the password generator window, so you have to open it from the browser again to generate another.

Crazy frustrating to do what is otherwise a simple task. I can highlight and ctrl-c copy the newly generated password, but then I find myself asking why I'm using 1password for this and I end up with a LastPass Password generator window open cause then it's 2 clicks and ctrl-v which is half the work of doing it with the 1password browser extension.

It would be great to have the password generator as a stand alone window with a copy-to-clipboard button. It would be great to have the generator icon in every "new field" in the new Secure Note form. It would also be great to be able to toggle the behavior of the "Copy" button of the current password generator to not save every generated and copied password to the vault. So I guess maybe this is multiple feature requests... :)

Thanks a ton,
Joe

1Password Version: 6.3.359d
Extension Version: 4.6.390
OS Version: Windows 8.1 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @jboren,

Thanks for writing in.

For example, say, in the main app I create a new secure note. One of the label:field combinations is going to be a username:password. There is nowhere on the page to generate a password. There is no way from the gear menu to generate a password.

. It would be great to have the generator icon in every "new field" in the new Secure Note form.

There is, create a custom password field below the first section:

It would be great to have the password generator as a stand alone window with a copy-to-clipboard button.

In the next update, 1Password 6.4, coming tomorrow, it'll be more accessible on the sidebar of 1Password mini now, which brings up the standalone Password Generator. You can bring up 1Password mini anytime via Control + Alt + \ shortcut.

Copy to clipboard and Fill options are coming to the Password Generator in a future update, it'll also record where you've generated the password.

It would also be great to be able to toggle the behavior of the "Copy" button of the current password generator to not save every generated and copied password to the vault

It's not something we'll add, we intentionally do this, so you don't lose track of every password you've generated and used. This could be used for security auditing and to prevent you from getting locked out if 1Password didn't prompt to auto-save the new Login item for you.

1Password's Password Generator is definitely going to be improved over time.

• jboren
    jboren
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Ha! that is awesome, thanks for the pointer. That pretty much solves the problem for me. For some reason I couldn't get mini to come up yesterday, but at reboot seems to have fixed that. All those upcoming improvements sound great. Understood, about the copy button toggle, as long as there's another way to get to the generator that's no problem at all.

Thanks a ton for the help with this!

Best regards,
    Joe

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

jboren: On behalf of Mike you are very welcome! :chuffed: We are excited about upcoming updates as well, so we work even harder.
    Please contact us anytime, we are here to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.