1Password works sometimes, other times I get "Read Only, click here to purchase" in my browser.

boomerhead
boomerhead
Community Member

I have had 1Password from the Mac App Store for quite some time. It's working fine on my laptop and I have had no problems up until this last week on my desktop (MacMini). This week or so, at random (mostly after my computer has been idle for several minutes or longer and the screensaver has activated and/or the screen gone to sleep), I will try to use 1Password in Safari and I get the "Read Only" message in the extension menu on the toolbar. So I go to the Finder and open the 1Password app. It opens--but without any password or asking to unlock it. It just opens up with all my passwords, credit cards, etc. available to anyone that might get on my computer. 1Password will then work properly in my browser. Unfortunately, this seems like a real security risk and doesn't seem like I should be able to open the 1Password app without a password--when the browser extension never asked for the password prior to that either. So...
1) How do I keep the 1Password extension from going into read-only mode?
2) If it does go into read-only mode, why does the 1Password app open up without prompting me for my password?

Other posts with this similar problem seem to be about purchasing from AgileBits, but downloading from the App Store. Since I've only downloaded from the App Store, I'm not sure those apply to my problem...but maybe someone can enlighten me further? Thanks in advance for the help!

1Password Version: 6.6
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:read only

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @boomerhead,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with 1Password! That's very strange, but I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this one way or another.

As far as the main app being unlocked when you open it, it sounds like that's because you already unlocked 1Password from the browser extension. Both the main app and the browser extension read the same database, so if one is unlocked, the other is also unlocked. In case it helps, you can find information about the auto-lock settings in 1Password here: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

It's interesting that launching the main app will cause the "read only" message to go away. Do you by any chance have multiple 1Password apps on your Mac? For example if you have both the Mac App Store version and the website version installed at the same time, that might help to explain what's going on. Please open the Applications folder on your Mac and look for any 1Password apps in there. If you find more than one, what are their file names?

Also, if you open the main 1Password app like usual (i.e. when trying to get the extension to work) and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menu bar, the window that opens will confirm whether you're using the Mac App Store version or the AgileBits Store version. Are you definitely using the Mac App Store version? If so, please install the latest update, which is version 6.6.2. Just launch the Mac App Store and go to the Updates tab, and you should see a 1Password update listed there. Once you've installed 6.6.2, is there any difference as far as the "read only" problem?

• boomerhead
    boomerhead
    Community Member

It's all definitely Mac App Store and only one version of the software on my computer--no other purchased or older versions installed. I checked for an update in the App Store and got version 6.6.2 yesterday. So far, so good. If the read-only thing comes back, I'll post here. It is possible I unlocked the app from the browser without remembering it--maybe getting the problem made me forget that part? Thanks for posting back so quickly.

• boomerhead
    boomerhead
    Community Member

Unfortunately, this evening as I checked in on some things, the 1Password in Safari was set as read only. I attached a screen-shot of what I get. I went and opened the app and the read-only goes way. Is this something where I should remove then re-install something? Is the Safari extension not communicating with the app properly? Any advise is appreciated.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @boomerhead,

Thank you for the screenshot! That's very strange - the extension is definitely communicating with the app because it's showing your data, but I don't know why it's showing you the "Read-only" message.

You can try deleting & reinstalling the 1Password app to see if that helps. First, open the main 1Password app, hold down the control key, and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menu bar (or just use the ⌃⌘Q (Control+Command+Q) keyboard shortcut). Then go to the Applications folder and drag 1Password.app to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning tools, as they might accidentally delete your data). Empty the trash, reboot your Mac again, and then re-download 1Password from the Mac App Store (make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make the purchase).

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Cheers!

• boomerhead
    boomerhead
    Community Member

Hi there! I uninstalled the 1Password app and emptied the trash...then restarted. It seemed OK for a bit, but unfortunately today I got the read-only thing again. It's easy enough to solve by opening the app, but it seems like a rather unnecessary step. I store my data on iCloud. Is there something I should do to back that up and start anew?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@boomerhead: Do you maybe not have 1Password mini running (Preferences > General)? If not, the browser extension may have no way of knowing the status of the app. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Post your Support ID here, and we will get to the bottom of this! :)

• boomerhead
    boomerhead
    Community Member

So it's been a while since this happened, but it happened this evening. I've done as you requested and did a diagnostic report and sent it your way. I do have 1Password mini running. Look forward to any assistance. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@boomerhead: I don't see anything in our system under this address. Could you post the Support ID as I requested? That will allow us to find it and get back to you sooner. Thanks in advance!

• boomerhead
    boomerhead
    Community Member

Oops! Here you go! #DWS-61693-885

• Thanks for that @boomerhead. We'll try to get back to you soon with questions and/or recommendations.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.