"An SSL error has occurred ..."

GBKol
GBKol
Community Member

I encounter the following when trying to reinstall 1Password on my Mac after wiping and reinstalling my Mac OS.

"An SSL error has occurred and secure connection to server cannot be made."

How do I fix this so I can start using 1Password and the browser extensions again?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• GBKol
    GBKol
    Community Member

Is there no AgileBits employee that can address this technical issue for me?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GBKol,

I'm sorry it took us a bit longer to get back to you!

Can you please give us some more details about what you're trying to do when you get that error message? For example, are you trying to download and/or install the 1Password 6 app from our website (or the Mac App Store)? Or when trying to install the browser extension? Or are you able to install and open the app, but you get the error at some point during the setup process? If so, what part of the setup isn't working correctly?

It will also help if you can let us know the following details:

Thanks in advance! :)

• dhornbrook
    dhornbrook
    Community Member

I have pretty much the same problem. For me, it all began when I tried to resolve a problem with my Mac mini not syncing 1Password with my iPhone and iPad. The SSL message appeared when I tried to update. Now 1Password has disappeared completely from my Mac and all attempts to re-install it from my Applications folder produce the same message - "An SSL error has occurred and secure connection to server cannot be made." 1Password on my iPhone and iPad seem to be working ok, but I have no access to my passwords on my Mac. I have tried all the obvious things - rebooting my Mac, redownloading 1Password, etc. to no avail. Very frustrating, so suggestions gratefully received.

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3
    1Password 6.6.1
    Purchased from AgileBits store
    Sync with 1Password

David

• Hi @dhornbrook,

Are you saying that when you open https://1password.com/downloads in a browser you get the SSL error? I've seen this a few times over the last few weeks and so far they've all been due to an expired certificate that the system decided not to kick out and renew. Can you open Keychain Access from /Applications/Utilities, and on the left choose System Roots at the top, and Certificates at the bottom. It should look something like this:

Go through that list and see if any of them are marked as expired. Select any expired certificates and delete them. Once that's done reboot your Mac and try accessing our site again.

Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• dhornbrook
    dhornbrook
    Community Member

Thanks Rick. I followed your instructions, but there are no expired certificates on my KeyChain. When I open the iPassword download site in your message, and select the Mac option, the screen goes blank with the message: "Safari can't open the page "https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM4" because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server "app-updates.agilebits.com"' I tried switching off my firewall but it made no difference. It does seem as if something is blocking the path.

David

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dhornbrook: Do you have "security" software that may be interfering? If a secure end-to-end encrypted (i.e. nothing performing a person-in-the-middle attack to eavesdrop) connection cannot be made, it will be refused. We really don't want anyone to be able to impersonate our site or 1Password itself. Try Firefox. It has its own certificate store, so it wouldn't be affected by an issue with the system store. But certainly if some software on your computer is interfering or you're on a network which is not under your control that won't help. Sometimes it's as simple as updating or restarting your router though.

• dhornbrook
    dhornbrook
    Community Member

Thanks both. This problem now resolved following update to Sierra 10.12.4

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! That's great news @dhornbrook, I'm really glad to hear the Sierra update seems to have solved the problem.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.