Find Old Vault

teeray
teeray
Community Member

Hey everyone,

Long time user of 1password here, and unfortunate victim of the March 2017 issue.

I reinstalled 1password, and selected a vault to use to restore, however the info in this vault is an old backup. There was another one that the scan found for me and i'm wondering if that one may have been more recent.

Is there a way to restart the scan and see if there's a more recent one? I do not have dropbox or iCloud configured for backup AFAIK - though I might.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @teeray,

When you say you ran into the "March 2017" issue, do you mean the one described in this support article: 1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini

If so, the steps to resolve that problem shouldn't have caused you to see the 'Welcome' screen the next time you opened the 1Password app. Even if you needed to delete the app and download a fresh copy, it should still have found your data, as it's stored on your Mac in a separate location from the app.

Is it possible you were using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, but then downloaded the AgileBits Store version from our website to resolve the problem? (Or vice versa?) Each one keeps a separate database on your Mac, so that might explain why the new one you downloaded/installed wasn't able to find your data.

When you "selected a vault to use to restore", where did you find that backup? Was it a file with a ".1p4_zip" extension? Are you able to find it again? If you had been using 1Password for a while, it's strange that there would only be two backup files - there should normally be more than that.

Is there a way to restart the scan and see if there's a more recent one?

Yes, you can certainly try that if you'd like. Just open the 1Password app, make sure it's locked, and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data in the menu bar. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset it, and then you'll be able to set it up from the 'Welcome' screen again.

Please let us know how it all goes, and if the other backup doesn't contain your latest data, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• teeray
    teeray
    Community Member

Hey thanks! I think this might be what happened. I just updated from the app store, however reset all 1password data is greyed out. Any way to fix this and try to restore again?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @teeray,

1Password needs to be locked in order to use that 'reset' option. If you open the 1Password app and can see your data, it's unlocked - just click the padlock icon in the top right corner to lock it (so you see the lock screen that asks for your master password), and then try to use the reset option again. It should be available this time. :)

• teeray
    teeray
    Community Member

ok that worked! One last thing...my browser extension is in read-only mode. Is there a way to install a version that knows I have a license?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's good news, @teeray! I'm glad that worked! :)

...my browser extension is in read-only mode.

It sounds like you currently have the Mac App Store version of 1Password installed. That version will be in read-only mode unless you've purchased your license through the Mac App Store, or unless you're using a 1Password.com account.

My guess is that you were originally using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, but when you recently started getting the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error, you solved it by switching to the Mac App Store version instead. However, a license from our AgileBits Store won't work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. So if you purchased a license from our web store, you'll need to switch back to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password. Just follow these steps:

1. Go to the Applications folder on your Mac and drag 1Password.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    2. Download the AgileBits Store version from our download site.
    3. Open the downloaded .pkg file to start the installation and follow the steps.
    4. When you're done, find the new 1Password 6.app file in the Applications folder and double-click on it.

When you open 1Password 6.app (the AgileBits Store version), you should be prompted for your master password, and it should have all your data. Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• teeray
    teeray
    Community Member

Bingo! That worked. Boy, I was confused with all the versions but thank goodness I have all my passwords back. Time to start backing up to iCloud or something so this doesn't happen again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's good news @teeray, I'm glad that helped to get things straightened out! And I'm sorry for all the confusion. Fortunately, this isn't something you should need to worry about again - just be sure to keep installing updates through the existing 1Password app on your Mac (or if you have any trouble doing that, download the installer from our download site).

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.