Share single passwords

13»

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@sklompextern: You're very welcome! And we'd love to get your company's feedback on the feature as well. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] any time. :)

• Hello
    @brenty is it available only in web? I turned on beta in the administrative settings of the team, turned on beta in the settings of the desktop application. I do not see any control to sharing single password from a desktop application or browser extension.

• the irony of life. The 1Password application does not allow sharing 1 password

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:+1:

Ben

• clgoodclgood Junior Member

I hope this is the right thread. Situation: I'm a 1Password user, and a friend is also. We are not in each other's "families" or "teams". My friend would like to send me a password securely. Is there a way using the 1Password web site to do that? Or must I add my friend to my "family" and restrict them to a special vault just for the exchange?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @clgood

This thread is specifically about our Business and Teams offerings, but that's okay. The answer applies regardless and is the latter: one of you would need to invite the other to be a part of their membership. We do not currently offer any sort of secure sharing across memberships. While that would absolutely be a very neat feature, it also provides significant technical challenge to implement based on the way we've architected 1Password. A guest account within 1Password Families is likely the way to go:

Share with guests in 1Password Families

(this functionality also exists in Business and Teams memberships: Share with guests in your team)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• clgoodclgood Junior Member

Sorry for landing off topic. I got to this post while searching under families. Thanks for the link! A guest sounds like exactly what I need.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

No worries. Sometimes the search feature here is not quite as well tuned as one might like. :) Hope it all works out with using a guest account inside one of the memberships. :+1:

Ben

• I just want to throw a +1 for individual item sharing - this would especially be useful for individuals/families sharing to other 1Password users outside of their immediate group.

I noticed some improvement with the “share link” feature in iOS today, but as far as I can tell it doesn’t solve the problem of having to create and share vaults.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback @nparekh :)

Ben

• N_CN_C

I cannot believe this is still considered a beta feature 3 years on!
    When is this feature being released to the non-beta product?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @N_C

I don't have any news I can share; sorry. As a rule we don't pre-announce that sort of thing. I understand it is frustrating to want to use a feature and to have it appear to be 'stuck' in beta. I wish I had a more definitive answer I could provide, but I don't know and couldn't say when or even if this will be a non-beta feature.

Ben

• this would be great, to have a share option for a single item in the list, that allows you, at least, to send that credential to another users's private 1password account to be added, and once your's is updated, to resend the updates to that other user's account. Whilst you have a clear overview of single items shared, in the portal but also directly in the shared items view, saying something like shared with, and showing all users.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks @vasile. This feature is in beta and is available to 1Password Business customers for testing. If you're interested I'd encourage you to reach out to our business team at [email protected].

Ben

• Thanks @Ben , will look into it, maybe give it a shot while still in beta.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:+1::)

Ben

• Hi @Ben, I'm having a hard time finding documentation on sharing a link to a password. I just spent 10 min searching online and found articles on sharing, but they all are about sharing through vaults.

Is there any documentation on copying a link to an entry and sharing it? Specifically, I'd like to know if the link and access to the entry persists after it's visited or expires after use. Thanks!

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@precisionroy:

Can you please see this article and see if it helps?

Use item links to help others find shared items

• @ag_ana thanks! So item links only work when you're sending the link to someone who is a member of the vault the linked item is in?

In other words, an item link won't share a password with someone who is not a member of the vault the item is in?

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@precisionroy:

That's correct :+1:

• Earlier in this thread @brenty said:

b. Share an item on a one-time basis, by using the Share option in the item's details on 1Password.com, which places a copy of it in the target user's Personal/Private vault (can be done only with a 1Password Teams/Business account which has this beta feature enabled).

Which implies that person I'm sharing with doesn't have to be member of the vault the item is in. Instead the item is copied to private vault. Now @ag_ana says it's not possible.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@alterego:

The other user asked something different ;)

In other words, an item link won't share a password with someone who is not a member of the vault the item is in?

If you share an item link, you need to be able to access that vault and that item. The other procedure you are referring to makes 1Password copy an item to a user's Private vault instead (effectively making a copy of it).

• Thanks for quick reply. So how do I pass on secure note/login to my team member using 1Passsword? Keeping these credentials in sync would be great, but I would settle for simple copy at this moment. I tried sharing secure note using "Copy link" feature, but when my team member tried to open it he got a message that item was not found.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

The recommended solution would be to create a vault in which you'd grant access to both yourself and the other individual. Then you'd move said item into that vault. That way you would both have access to it and any changes made to items inside would be visible to both of you.

Create and share vaults

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file