Wrong button activated for automatic login

Options

For this website: https://solutions.sciquest.com/apps/Router/SupplierLogin?CustOrg=UNebraska&tmstmp=1457997138531 - which is an eportal for the University of Nebraska, there is a "login" button and a "create account" button. When I use the ctrl backslash feature to auto-fill my username/password, the "create account" is activated instead of "login".

1Password Version: 6.4.380
Extension Version: 4.6.4.1
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @lisaperlie,

So this is a puzzling one for a couple of reasons. Our submit feature doesn't interact with buttons aside for one or two deliberately added exceptions. The way it works is we mimic the enter key being pressed because the vast majority of sites allow for the user to press the enter key after entering their login details. So we leave focus on the password field and then let the browser do the rest when it sees the enter key being pressed. So even before testing the page I'm surprised by what you're observing.

I then tested the page in both Vivaldi and Firefox using a Login item created in 1Password for Mac and 1Password 6 for Windows. In the four combinations I always got an error message about my login details being incorrect which is correct given the dummy data I was testing with.

Can you confirm what browser you are using please and whether you see the same issue if you create a new Login item for the site. For the moment you will either have to manually create the Login item inside the main 1Password window, using copy and paste to copy the details from the existing one to the new one or delete the existing Login item and then let 1Password's autosave offer to save. It won't ask though if it sees you have a Login item with this saved password. A future version of 1Password 6 for Windows will allow for manually saving a new Login item from inside the browser but for the moment we need to work around this missing feature. I will be curious to learn if you see the same problem in a new Login item.

• lisaperlie
    lisaperlie
    Community Member
    Options

I re-tested this morning and the results I get are strange.
    I am using the Chrome browser.
    Sometimes it works correctly and sometimes it doesn't.
    I haven't yet figured out what the circumstances are that cause it not to work.
    The Login button always seems to have the focus.

Here is a test I did - I opened a new browser. Auto-filled the username/pw and it worked.
    Logged off the site, back to the login screen, auto-filled again and it failed (even though the login button still appeared to have the focus). After that it continued to fail.
    If I manually filled in my username/pw and hit Enter, it would work fine.

I will try some more tests to see if I can come up with some better idea of how to reproduce the problem.

• lisaperlie
    lisaperlie
    Community Member
    Options

i am having the same problem in Firefox

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @lisaperlie,

Have you tried creating a new Login item yet and seeing if that behaves any differently?

Another thing I would be curious to discover is if you find 1Password ever leaves focus other than on the password field. The only way to test though I'm afraid is to disable the submit after filling function which is in the Browsers tab of 1Password's options.

Just to clarify, we never leave focus on a button or try to interact with a button, we only interact with input elements. So if you do test disabling the submit after filling feature you should find focus is always left on the password field and if you then press enter it submits the form. If you find pressing enter while focus is on the password field causes the page to behave as if the other button has been clicked that behaviour would be on the site although this would seem unlikely.

I don't yet know why you're seeing this odd behaviour or why I have been unable to replicate it. It may be as I don't have a real account to test with that I can never get my browser into a state where the issue will appear of course. That will sadly make it harder to debug if it is the case.

• lisaperlie
    lisaperlie
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure i can create another "real" login since we are registered with the current one on that site. I can investigate.
    Is it possible for you to remote into my computer and debug here? I'd be willing to let you do that.
    Could it involve cookies?

I have never seen it put focus on any field other than the login field.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lisaperlie,

Apologies if I didn't make it clear. When I asked if you could try creating a new Login item I was referring to the item that exists inside of 1Password. There are two options.

1. Manually create a new Login item from inside the main 1Password window. In the Item List Pane there is a button titled + New Item. This will let you create a new Login item. You would need to copy and paste the details from the existing Login item for this site to the new one.
    2. Visit the login page and copy and paste the username and password into the actual login page. Next delete the Login item that is stored in 1Password for this site. Now click the Login button. As 1Password won't find the Login item that used to exist it should ask if you want to save a new Login item.

It's a bit clunky and in the next version of 1Password 6 for Windows you will likely have the ability to easily save a new Login item without first deleting the old one. You won't need a new account at the site, this is all about replacing the information in 1Password with a fresh copy to see if it behaves the same :smile:

Let's see how we go with both a new Login item and if you are willing to test, how things behave when you disable submit after filling for a while. It will be a little annoying but it will be important to learn what you see over time.

• lisaperlie
    lisaperlie
    Community Member
    Options

That is interesting. I created a new Login item as you recommended above, and now I cannot replicate the problem.
    But I did have a couple of strange things happen when i tried this.
    When I used ctrl backslash to auto-fill the the username/pw it works fine.
    When I go to the Chrome extension to search for the login item - to open the website, auto-fill and login, the username/pw is autofilled but the "submit" of the login button does always not occur. I have now tested a bunch of other login items, and many of them seem to also have that problem, although i have found at least one that works. I am wondering if it is a timing issue - is the login button being submitted before the page is fully loaded?

Also, in my testing, I now have found one login that will not open AT ALL from the chrome extension. Ugh.
    When I created a new Login for this item, it then worked.
    So what is happening? are these items getting corrupted in same way?

• lisaperlie
    lisaperlie
    Community Member
    Options

just encountered another instance for the wrong thing getting selected instead of the login button; this time it was the "forgot password" link - even though the login button appeared to have the focus.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @lisaperlie,

While it might sound silly to say, 1Password 6 only just recently added the ability to submit after filling, a feature people using 1Password for Mac or 1Password 4 for Windows have had for some time. It all comes back to how new 1Password 6 for Windows still is and how many features need to be reimplemented in this brand new version. So it may be possible there's a bug with submit in terms of timing but just to reiterate, we do not interact directly with buttons.

As to why you're seeing this it's hard to say. I don't believe we're looking at corruption of the Login items as any such bug that could allow for corruption would have the potential to affect everybody running 1Password 6 for Windows. To properly understand what was happening though would require access to the broken Login item and that is something we can't ever ask for because it holds sensitive data that should never be shared. Do you happen to remember how were the original items created by any chance and which of the two approaches did you use to create the new ones? That might tell us something.

For this new site, can I ask what the URL for the login page is please as I would like to investigate. I wonder though, and this may be hard to remember, have you ever had to make use of the forgotten password facility on this site and did you use 1Password to save anything?

Given the odd behaviour you may find it makes life easier to disable the submit after filling for now. 1Password should be leaving focus on a password field where possible and if you find a site where it isn't please do let us know.

• lisaperlie
    lisaperlie
    Community Member
    Options

The website that activates the "forgot password" link is https://www.walmart.com/account/login?ref=domain.
    I do understand that the 1Password 6 program is still in development, and I was hoping the problems I was reporting would help you find the bugs. Typically I create login items by going to a website, filling in the username/pw and clicking submit, and then saving the password when prompted to do so by 1Password. Rarely do I create a login item manually with the desktop app - but that is what I did yesterday to fix my issue.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @lisaperlie,

That's good information, thank you :smile: I would hope Login items created inside the browser would have been more reliable because they have an awareness of the page being filled. It's interesting to learn that it seemed to become more reliable if you saved one from inside the main 1Password window. I will report back on what I find out about the Walmart site.

This discussion has been closed.