Which license should I give away? 4.x from February 2014 or 6.x from March 2016?

Options
ChocolateCheesecake
ChocolateCheesecake
Community Member

Hey,

I purchased a license for 1Password 4 in February 2014 with a Parallels bundle. It's working until the current version 6.6.3.BETA-1 (663001) what I am running at the moment. No paid updates for such a long time has been really generous of you. :)

When I upgraded Parallels Desktop the last time in March 2016, I again got a full Mac license for 1Password 6, what I have no use for and it is not registered yet to any email address.

Theoretically...

Just for the rare case there might ever be a paid upgrade again for standalone licenses, do you think all licenses (4.x/5.x/6.x) purchased after the last paid upgrade would be handled equally in upgrade-pricing?

I know you can't answer this for now and I'll switch to the subscription anyway. But you should think about that. ;P

Thank you very much in advance for your answer.

♥ ♥ ♥ from,
Julie

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.6.3.BETA-1 (663001)
Extension Version: 4.6.4.b1
OS Version: macOS 10.12.4 Beta 5 (16E183b)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Frank
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @ChocolateCheesecake - Great question! Unfortunately this will be a tough one for me to answer. We can't really speculate what will happen in the future so I really can't answer your question 100%. Our standalone licenses are tied to the individual and not the device. If you never used the license before, I don't see why you couldn't give it away. If you've used it, it is tied to you, and cannot be transferred. Otherwise the decision is completely up to you. I'm happy to hear you're going to give our 1Password memberships a test drive. We feel it's the best way to experience using 1Password. If you have any questions getting started, let us know and we'll be happy to help out. Sorry for not having a better answer to your questions and enjoy the rest of your day ;-)

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @Frank and sorry for my late reply.

I feared the license activation link from Parallels could expire if I don't click on it. Now I have the file, but it is tied to a different E-Mail address.

Now I have two license files, one was originally 1Password 4 and the other one 6 (both from a Parallels bundle). Can you now say if those will be equal forever?

I tested the account until it was frozen. At the latest when I install Linux or Windows some time or don't get an update anymore I'll subscribe. I already saw some nice benefits, but I really don't need those at the moment.

When the Family account was new and in beta I had a longer testing period, but I forgot about it back then. :(

Warm regards,
    Julie

• Frank
    Options

Hi @ChocolateCheesecake - It's great to hear back from you :smile: I was able to locate your license for 1Password 6 but I couldn't locate the Windows license. You mentioned purchasing the licenses under two separate email addresses, if so, we can move the conversation over to email so I can better assist you - since this is a public forum, I don't want you to share the other email address here.

Now I have two license files, one was originally 1Password 4 and the other one 6 (both from a Parallels bundle). Can you now say if those will be equal forever?

Can you clarify the last sentence for me? I'm not too sure what you mean about "those will be equal forever". I just want to make sure I have a clear understanding so I can better assist you :smile: Keep me posted and I look forward to hearing back from you.

• ChocolateCheesecake
    ChocolateCheesecake
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

thanks for helping me.

Those are both Mac licenses. I got them with a Parallels Desktop upgrade bundle. The first one was 1Password 4 at the time of purchase and it got upgraded for free to 5 and 6. The second one was 6 from the beginning.

I just wonder assumed there would be a 7 with license again, if my newer license might have an advantage? For example get a free upgrade or at half price and the old one has to pay more.

You can't locate my first license, because I often use fake names in the internet. ;) Or it's just listed as "Parallels Bundle User 10xxx". But I think I know to which old email address it is connected.

I also have a Windows license what I got for free from one of your team members because I just wanted to help beta-testing it a little, in a virtual machine. :) I wasn't really in need for it, just had too much time.

I'll get back to you by email, when I found out what email address and name all the licenses have.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @ChocolateCheesecake - I'll be happy to email you a copy of your standalone licenses. You can also request a copy by using the email address used when you initially purchased them. If we can assist in anyway, let us know and we'll be glad to help out.

I just wonder assumed there would be a 7 with license again, if my newer license might have an advantage? For example get a free upgrade or at half price and the old one has to pay more.

I can't comment on future development. To be completely honest, I have no idea what will happen in the future so I can't really speculate or answer your question. As of right now, our priority is making sure our 1Password memberships offer the best customer experience.

Let us know if you have any further questions & we'll be happy to assist you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.