To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't find Account Key

Options
tomguarriello
tomguarriello
Community Member

This is crazy. I've been a 1Password user for years. My wife also uses the software. I bought a standalone version of the software and added my wife as a family member. None of our accounts show up in the Accounts section of iOS app or Mac version. I'm very frustrated and HATE that there's no one to speak with or even chat with. You guys are better than this! Or at least I thought you were.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    Options

Hi @tomguarriello - Sorry for the troubles and I'll do my best to assist you today. I was able to locate the new account you signed up for but it's an Individual account not a Families account but first, I noticed you mentioned you can't locate your Secret (Account) Key.

It looks like you already added the Individual account to your iPhone so let's try to recover it there -

Open and unlock 1Password on your iPhone > Tap on the settings tab at the bottom > Tap 1Password Accounts > Tap on your account and then "reveal secret (account) key". Let me know if you were able to recover the key from 1Password on your iPhone.

Once you recovered your Secret Key, you can then log into your account and convert over to a 1Password Families account by following the steps below -

Log into your Individual account, https://my.1Password.com > Click on your name in the upper right hand side > Select "Invite People" from the drop down menu then choose a Families plan.

After you have converted the account over to Families, you can invite your wife over to join the account -

https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/#invite-your-family

I will also include a helpful link below that will be useful in getting the account set up with your existing 1Password apps -

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-the-apps-and-import-your-data

Sorry again for the confusion and I hope this helped. Let us know if you have any questions, we'll be happy to help out.

• tomguarriello
    tomguarriello
    Community Member
    Options

No, when I tap Settings>1Passwords Accounts no accounts appear there. If I try to add one, I get the same account key nonsense.

• tomguarriello
    tomguarriello
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I also bought an account for my wife.

• tomguarriello
    tomguarriello
    Community Member
    Options

Also can't used the damned Emergency Kit!

• Frank
    Options

Hi @tomguarriello - I just sent you over an email so we can work on this together. I don't want to run the risk of sharing any private information here since this is a public forum. I also had to remove your wife's email address. When you get a chance, reply back to me over there so we can continue our conversation. Sorry for the frustration and we'll get this squared away for you. Talk to you soon.

ref: FEY-84968-169

• tomguarriello
    tomguarriello
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. No email received as of yet...

• tomguarriello
    tomguarriello
    Community Member
    Options

Still no email (did get one from one of your bots, however, and notice of your first and second replies

• Frank
    Options

Hi Tom, I sent the email about 7 minutes ago. Please check your spam box just in case.

• tomguarriello
    tomguarriello
    Community Member
    Options

Still no email...

• tomguarriello
    tomguarriello
    Community Member
    Options

Checked spam box, no email. Like I said, I have several others from you and from your bots. Could you try again, please?

• Frank
    Options

Hi Tom, I just sent over another email so let me know if you receive it or not. Are you using any spam filtering software that could be blocking the emails being sent from support at agilebits dot com.

• Frank
    edited March 2017
    Options

Fantastic, I received your reply, we'll continue the discussion over there :-)

ref: FEY-84968-169

• giselent
    giselent
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Frank. I'm also a user for years. When I bought it I had a PC (now I'm Mac user) and an email that no longer exists. I upgraded the app and did what you said, but when at iPhone app's settings, accounts, my account doesn't show up. I recently installed it in my Mac and all my data showed up (sync through iCloud), but can't edit/add nothing. I can't find my account data neither its secret key as I no longer have access to old computer and email. How can we solve it please?? Thank you!

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there, @giselent !

Thanks for reaching out! :)

I'm very sorry for the confusion here, but let's work on getting this solved. It sounds like you are using the standalone version of 1Password, but do not have a 1Password account. 1Password accounts are a different, yet better way to use 1Password over standalone licenses. For more information on the differences between licenses and accounts, please visit this knowledgebase article: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

Your account/secret key is a credential that is exclusive to 1Password accounts, which is why you are unable to find one on the 1Password app.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions! I'm always happy to help! :)

• giselent
    giselent
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brian. Well, I followed the instructions on video and created an account here in Mac. I also have my standalone license account open. When I clicked on top to add this new account I just created - like video instructs - says it's a read-only version and I have to purchase for $64!!!! The only thing different from video was master password. The one I previously had was 4 numbers, and new one demands 10 digits ..... Please help!!

• giselent
    giselent
    Community Member
    Options

OK Brian News. I managed to move my existing 1Password data to my new 1Password account in my iPhone ONLY!. I'm trying at web and Mac app with no success. I'm gonna restart Mac now to see if world while you check this message. Be right back

• Frank
    Options

Hi @giselent - Thank you for the update. To add the new account to your existing 1Password app on your Mac, follow the steps below:

Open & unlock 1Password on your Mac > Click 1Password in the menu bar > Select preferences from the drop down menu > Click on the Account tab then click on the "+" to add your account. I will also include a helpful link below -

https://support.1password.com/add-device/#add-your-account-to-the-1password-app

Make sure to have your Emergency Kit handy since it contains your login credentials. Let us know if that helped or if you have any additional questions. :+1:

• giselent
    giselent
    Community Member
    Options

Brian forget me. I just went to add another devices and found how to add my data manually and with scan code to web & Mac. Thank you for reading my messages and following my learning experience. :)

• Frank
    Options

Oh fantastic news! I'm glad that worked for you @giselent, I will make sure to give @Brian a :high-five: Keep us posted if you run into any additional questions along the way.

• timostler
    timostler
    Community Member
    Options

OK I have also lost my Account Key for my Families account and for some reason never saved my emergency kit. Suffice it to say that it looks like I will have to start again. Can you tell me how I may do this and somehow transfer the contents of my existing vaults to a new account? I have tried emailing you as instructed but I just got a form email back in return, and I cannot get any further response from your support team.

• Marion_Pellegrino
    Marion_Pellegrino
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @timostler - you might have other options before having to start again with a new account.
    If you previously signed in to 1Password.com or if you added your account to a 1Password app, your Account Key can be found in the 1Password app on any one of your authorized devices. You can have a look here and choose the troubleshooting guide corresponding to your device.
    I hope this will help!
    Good luck.

• timostler
    timostler
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks -- no I have already tried all that! I think I also installed it when I was working at another computer that I no longer have access to. The only chance is if I could somehow retrieve the key from one of my family who has just started using 1Password? But I presume that's not possible.

• Marion_Pellegrino
    Marion_Pellegrino
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @timostler - Have you tried this way too? https://support.1password.com/recovery/.
    It is specific for family and team accounts and I think that it could be what you are looking for.

• Marion_Pellegrino
    Marion_Pellegrino
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bruleke -

Yes, you are right. I think that you purchased a standalone license which is totally different from the 1Password account.
    The Account Key is specific to the 1Password account. That could explain, why you did not receive it.
    In order to have access to the 1Password website to register new logins, you will need a 1Password account.

I have been using it for more than a month now and it's really great.

If you have been using the standalone licenses for a while, you can have a look at this video, which explains you how to create a 1Password account and how to move all your existing 1Password data over it.

But before doing anything, I would wait for a more complete answer from the Agilebits team, particularly regarding the purchase you already made.
    They will help you out much better than me ;)

• Frank
    Options

Hi @bruleke - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I hope @Marion_Pellegrino's reply helped and keep us posted if you have any additional questions. I'll be happy to assist you :-)

Thank you Marion for the assist :+1:

• Frank
    Options

Hi @bruleke - I just want to make sure we're on the same page, you want to delete your forums account? Keep me posted.

• stevehuber
    stevehuber
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, having the same issue as other users in this thread. I have a stand alone account and can't get the secret code per the current instructions. Please advise.

• Hi @stevehuber,

Do you still have the account on a device, for example a Mac or iOS device? If so, you should be able to get the Secret Key out of Preferences on the Mac (Preferences > Accounts) or Settings on iOS (Settings > Accounts). It may still be called "Account Key" in the apps you're using as that's what we used to call the Secret Key.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• stevehuber
    stevehuber
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

I've tried on both iOS and Desktop. "Account Key" isn't displayed on either screen. Happy to send screenshots if that would be helpful.

Steve

• Hi @stevehuber,

Here's a screenshot of mine and I've highlighted where the Account Key/Secret Key is. You can over over it should give you the option to copy it or reveal it entirely or display it in large type.

Do you have something like that?

Rick

This discussion has been closed.