Perpetual vs Subscription for 1Password long term use.

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

To be clear, synchronisation is not a backup, although it may be used in a back strategy. In keeping it all in 1Password.com, there is a chance of losing every but there is less of a chance with a subscription/pertetual strategy? For one, I would have to keep paying the subscription to keep it active.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem

Is your concern specifically related to backups? When it comes to your 1Password.com account, it's backed up automatically, so you don't have to take care of anything yourself ;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Daniel. I do have Teams Pro, so I have unlimited restore ability.

I'm still getting accustomed to the software.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. Especially with the Pro plan for 1Password Teams, there's a lot of flexibility with accounts and permissions. Have you tried the beta Duo 2FA feature? But automatic offsite backup is by far my favourite feature of all 1Password.com plans, even if it doesn't get much attention or get everyone else excited. ;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

But automatic offsite backup is by far my favourite feature of all 1Password.com plans, even if it doesn't get much attention or get everyone else excited. ;)

I had no idea! How do I check? I am using Duo Beta except, for the conflict with NoScript. I use less Firefox now. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

@wkleem: Backup is done automatically on the server. There's nothing to check. But if you're referring to Duo, you can enable betas in your team settings. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Duo is already enabled. Waiting for them to solve their Clickjacking isssue wrt 1Password.com. @jpringle.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem, can you elaborate on the clickjacking issue?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

@jpgolberg,

I have NoScript installed in Firefox which, when I use the 1Password Teams subscription with Duo enabled, Clear Click/Clickjacking appears. Essentially Clickjacking contains hidden elements for the unsuspecting user to click on.

Take a look at this discussion which I screen captured the Clickjacking for discussion:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/352758#Comment_352758

At this point, Firefox with 1Password Extension plus NoScript becomes unusable for me with Duo enabled if I don't do anything else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, interesting. Indeed, it sounds like some incompatibility between the overlay for the Duo authentication and NoScript. Thanks for clarifying!

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

I'd also like to return to @wkleem's original question.

First I would like to talk about what a perpetual license does and doesn't mean in practice, and then I will try to address the concern about getting locked out of your own data, which I think was at the heart of the question.

Perpetual and paid upgrades

It may be useful to remind everyone that a “perpetual license” is a license for a particular version of 1Password.

If, for example, you purchased a license for for 1Password 3 for Mac back in 2010, you are free to use that as long as you wish. Of course that no longer runs on today's operating systems and is missing many important features and enhancements that have been introduced through paid upgrades over the intervening years. But your purchased license of 1Password 3 for Mac is "perpetual", even if it is of limited use to you today.

Now back in the old days when we produced 1Password for a single platform and all sales were through our own store, we could do things like offer steep discounts in upgrades for those who had purchased recently. But now 1Password is offered on four different platforms and through a variety different stores.

So someone using 1Password on, say, Mac, Windows, and Android would need to pay for three separate upgrades. Someone who purchased 1Password N the day before the paid upgrade for 1Password N +1 appeared would have to pay as much for N+1 as someone who was buying 1Password for the first time.

So leaving aside the advantages that the 1Password service offers (sharing, more reliable synching, easier setup, improved security), subscriptions are an advantage over occasional paid upgrades in that

1. Subscriptions treat you as a 1Password customer no matter how few or many platforms you use.
    2. Subscription pricing is far more predictable than the occasional paid upgrade.
    3. Subscription pricing reflects the time that you are a customer instead of which side of a paid upgrade you first started with.

But to see that you need to recognize that while a perpetual license is, indeed, perpetual; it is a license for a specific version that may become obsolete after a few years.

Data availability

I believe that at the heart of the question was the risk of losing access to your own data.

First of all, we never want to lock people out of their data. When someone stops paying for an account, it gets "frozen". You can still read (and export and save) your frozen data, but you can't modify it. We want happy customers not trapped ones.

But as we host data, there is a question of what happens if we suffer a major disruption of availability. This is not a fundamentally different question that what happens with the our non-subscription service if Dropbox or iCloud were to fail. All of our native apps (everything other than the web client) keep a local copy of your encrypted data in a form that they can use. 1Password does work off-line.

If you are performing backups of your local machines (as you should be and I would expect from people who are explicitly concerned about data availability), your data remains available to you in case of catestrophic failure of our systems and of your devices.

Our best data export features are on the Windows and Mac versions, but this has always been the case given how we and users can interact with the file systems on mobile devices. So again, this isn't really a chance in software licenses versus subscriptions.

Anyway, I hope that this helps address and clarify some of the main concerns.

Cheers,
    -j
    Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

@jpgolberg,

It's wkleem. You mispelt the name, but that's OK. I didn't check if there actually is a skleem or not.

As It happens, I am currently locked out of my 1Password Teams account in 1Password.com. I have Duo Beta activated and cannot get back in. and I am uncertain what the issue is. I've emailed Duo Support.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/365468#Comment_365468

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Fortunately, as Goldberg mentioned, you should still be able to access your 1Password data on your devices in the mean time. Duo authentication is just for the web interface for account management, etc.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

@brenty,

Indeed. Fortunately, as Goldberg mentioned, you should still be able to access your 1Password data on your devices in the mean time. Duo authentication is just for the web interface for account management, etc.

It is all well and good for existing install but not for new installs?

I can modify existing vaults but can I create or delete vaults? I haven't been able to do so from Windows and iOS had always been a subset of Mac and Windows, features wise. Unfortunately, there is still no universal parity of features between platforms/software and there may never be.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I can modify existing vaults but can I create or delete vaults? I haven't been able to do so from Windows and iOS had always been a subset of Mac and Windows, features wise.

I should have been clearer as standalone 1Password always had the ability to create and modify .AgileKeychain vault but both Mac and Windows versions as far as I can tell cannot create new 1Password.com vaults only modify them?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is all well and good for existing install but not for new installs?

@wkleem: I'm not sure what you mean. For a new install, you can use the QR code from one of your other authorized devices to setup the app. And if you mean a brand new account, most users won't be enabling beta features, setting up Duo right off the bat, and then probably won't get themselves locked out of it.

I can modify existing vaults but can I create or delete vaults? I haven't been able to do so from Windows and iOS had always been a subset of Mac and Windows, features wise.

Vaults for 1Password.com accounts cannot be created or deleted in any of the native apps (yet), only the web interface.

Unfortunately, there is still no universal parity of features between platforms/software and there may never be.

There will be, but it will take time. We've already made a lot of progress on this, even if there's still a long way to go. It's something we're working toward with each update, across all platforms, macOS, iOS, Android, Windows, and web.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I applaud Agilebits to actually give users a choice in the matter of Standalone vs Subscription. Adobe has already decided that Subscription is the way forward and there is no perpetual version of Photoshop any longer.

Even if the link isn't obvious, I still know where to locate the perpetual version, not that I actually need it, of course!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

Cheers! :)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

If you are performing backups of your local machines (as you should be and I would expect from people who are explicitly concerned > about data availability), your data remains available to you in case of catestrophic failure of our systems and of your devices.

This is true for normal items like usernames and passwords, but if I understood correctly this is not the case for Documents (the artist formerly known as attachment) because they are only cached locally if you explicitly say "Download" or open it. Correct?

If so, I would love to have a real offline-mode where everything is downloaded to my device. I will be on holiday where I most certainly will not have internet coverage at all. Having ALL my data with me would be nice :)

• Ben
    Options

@Manaburner,

True, but the items only need to be downloaded once and then are cached on the device.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

that's good, but I have to know beforehand which Documents I might need before going offline.

• Ben
    Options

Not if you simply download them all, which is what you were looking for anyway, right?

I'm not arguing against the idea of having a feature that makes this easier, just trying to explore options that are currently possible.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben yes I get that you're not arguing against that. :)

Can you point me to a location on iOS, where you could download all Documents? Can't find it sorry

• Ben
    Options

At present you'd have to download each of them individually, but you can find all of them in the Documents category.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

OK thank you

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.