Feature Request: `edit` option on the `save login` dialog box

Hi,

before using 1password I just requested a new password, when I wanted to log into a service again. So my common steps are:
Go to site, request password reset, go to password reset website, enter new password and save. It is nice that the 1pass chrome plugin detects that I enter a password and offers me to save an entry for me. But because I entered my email address before the 1pass entry that is saved does not contain the email address or user name. So every time I it takes me several clicks and some typing to find the new entry in 1pass and edit it to add the email address or user name. Would it be possible to have an edit button directly on the save login message box that asks if I want to save an account?

Thanks
Ludwig

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your post, @lsh. When 1Password saves a Login from the browser, it captures some additional information about the page as it is when 1Password notices that you're signing in. If this is a new Login and you're using 1Password to generate the passwords, you can fill previously generated passwords. If you have no other Logins for the site, the generated passwords will be listed when you click on the 1Password button. If you do have other Logins, go back to the password generator and there will be a history menu at the bottom. Here's an example:

Then, you can fill this generated password on the sign in page, add your email address or username, and then save a Login from there so that it has all the information about the sign in page.

Does that help smooth out the workflow for you?

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• lsh
    lsh
    Community Member

Thanks Jamie, but as I understood your post it is not helpful for me.
    You write " [1password] captures some additional information about the page as it is when 1Password notices that you're signing in." But my issue is that my because I am using the reset password function of the website, the site does not contain my e-mail address, so that I always have to edit the newly created entry again.

The rest of your message also does not apply, because it is not a new login as I already have an account on the particular website.

Let me rephrase:

• I go to an website, for which I have an account, but the account is not in 1pass and I don't remember the password.
    • I request a password reset email.
    • I go to the password reset website.
    • I enter a new password using 1pass generator.
    • 1pass shows the save login dialog allowing me to add that new login.
    • This newly created entry does not contain mail email address or user name, because these are not entered on the password reset website.
    • I have to open 1pass search for the new account and add my email address manually

This happens quite frequent for me and seems very unnecessary, if there would be an edit button on the save login dialog box.

Ludwig

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @lsh,

Thanks for writing in and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I think you have described a real world scenario where 1Password we can certainly do a lot better in how it guides the user to the best way of creating a Login item.

I believe I have a suggestion for how to approach this kind of scenario which will build on Jamie's ideas. Hopefully it will provide a workable solution for you and will result in the most useful kind of Login items.

1. You go to a website where you don't remember your password.
    2. You reset your password.
    3. Go to the reset password web page.
    4. Enter a new password using the 1Password Password Generator.
    5. Click save on the website but when 1Password offers to save your password, click Cancel.
    6. Now go to the log in page for the website.
    7. Enter your username manually into the login field.
    8. Click the 1Password extension button and click Password Generator > History for 'example.com' > x Seconds ago. See below screenshot for what I mean.
    9. This will retrieve the same generated password that was used when you reset your password and fill it into the password field on the log in page.
    10. Now hit Enter / Return on your keyboard to log into the website (or click the sign in button).
    11. 1Password will offer to save a Login item for you once more. This time you can choose "Save" and a Login item will be created with all the right information you need.

Using this approach will allow you to create a Login item that not only has your username included but also will contain the correct website field. You may know already, but just for anyone else who is reading, the website field of a Login item is used by 1Password when using the Go & Fill feature so your new Login item will work with that feature by virtue of following the above method. :chuffed:

I hope this helps you create Logins items in a more convenient way that you have found so far for these scenario - let me know how you get on. If you have any questions or comments I would love to hear them.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• lsh
    lsh
    Community Member

Dear Matthew,

thanks for your answer. But your approach would make it necessary that I log out after your step 5 and before step 6 (Now go to the log in page for the website). I will continue my own way of editing the entry later, while cumbersome, it seems less cumbersome. But thanks for taking to time to reply.

Kind regard
    Ludwig

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lsh,

You are correct, if in the process of resetting the password the site logs you in with the new password then it would require logging out and logging back in. In fact this is what I often do myself when creating new Login items as I often prefer to save a Login item on the actual login page rather than the registration page. If you feel your current approach is less convoluted than the one suggested that's fine, it's about whatever works easier for the individual. I don't see us adding an edit feature directly to the save login window though as it would only make that window more complex.

The hope of course is that as time goes on you should have need of such a feature less and less as you add your accounts to 1Password. In the future you will have your current password and so you will be updating existing Login items instead of creating new ones when changing a password and we do have code to try and detect these pages.

This discussion has been closed.