1Password mini launches twice since I upgraded OS X and 1Password

Options
StepSaturn
StepSaturn
Community Member

Hey everyone,

My Menu bar shows 1Password mini twice, With different icons. The key from 1Password4 and the keyhole from the current version (I think)
I recently upgraded from OS X Mavericks to El Capitan. I migrated most of my user data (parts of the library I considered still valid, files, etc) but I only copied selected applications, reinstalled others, left many behind.
On Mavericks I was using 1Password 4 (manually installed, iirc). After the upgrade I installed the current 1Password version from the app store.
Since then, 1Password mini launches in two different versions. I must have copied the old version along with my library, I guess. How can I remove it so only the current 1Password mini appears?
Thanks,

step..ø

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Step,

Did you notice if you have two versions of the 1Password in your apps folder? I think I read somewhere, and right now I cannot find that link, that in cases of upgrades like yours, you will still have the app still on your system and you just need to delete the one you no longer want, which in turn should prevent the mini from popping up.

Cheers,
    Conor

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @StepSaturn,

I think csmoran9 is correct, there's a good chance you'll find multiple 1Password apps in the Applications folder. From your description, it sounds like you were previously using an old version of 1Password from our website, and you recently downloaded the latest version from the Mac App Store. Each of those (the AgileBits Store version and the Mac App Store version) has its own copy of 1Password mini, which probably explains why you're seeing both of those icons in your Mac's menu bar.

The best way to solve this will depend on a few things. Can you please let us know the following:

• How many 1Password apps are in the Applications folder?
    • What is each 1Password app named, and what do their icons look like?
    • If you have multiple 1Password apps in Applications, which one has all your latest data?
    • Did you originally purchase a license for 1Password for Mac from our own web store, or from the Mac App Store?
    • Do you also see multiple 1Password icons in your browser's toolbar, or just your Mac's menu bar?

Thanks in advance! :)

• surphaze
    surphaze
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,

you were right, I had two versions of the app in the applications folder.
    I simply moved the old version "1Password 4" to the trash bin and after a restart, the problem was completely gone.

Thank you so much for your help and the easy fix :)

All the best,

step..ø

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome @surphaze, I'm glad that helped! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.