IPv6 login fill vs IPv4

1Password 6
Version 6.6.3 (663004)
AgileBits Store

Mac OS X 10.12.3

Noodling around with IPv6, I notice that for the same target, if I access using 1Password via its IPv4 address, 1Password will diligently fill in the Username/Password and "enter." Expected & delightful behavior, fuelling my laziness fantastically. (I know for some sites this doesn't work as automagically, but I've selected a target which does.)

I have (obviously) created a Title/entry login for this target for access via an IPv4 address. Created the same for access via that same target's IPv6 address (different Title/entry login).

Access the same site via my IPv6 title entry, double-clicking the Title, per usual, and...no joy: username does not fill in, password does not fill in even though I am successfully reaching the device's web page, same web page as via IPv4, which does fill in.

Is this a thing? Or am I doing something amiss? Except for the addresses, the entries look the same to me.

1Password Version: 6.6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:items

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bill_t,

When you talk about the address field are you entering the actual IP address rather than using a hostname? The first draft I wrote assumed your entries were using FQDNs (Fully Qualified Domain Names) and there should be no difference whether you're using IPv4 or IPv6. Now I'm wondering if I've understood correctly. It's not something I can easily test unfortunately as the UK doesn't seem to be too worried about the lack of IPv4 address space and has basically shown no interest in offering IPv6.

• bill_t
    bill_t
    Community Member

I was using numeric addresses, not host names, and have the URLs saved as such.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bill_t,

I'll ask some of my colleagues tomorrow as I would have thought we would work but I don't have the right kind of environment to test and confirm either the correct behaviour or the presence of a possible bug. We'll see what I can learn :smile:

• jessereynolds
    jessereynolds
    Community Member

I am running into this issue as well. RFC 2732 says that web browsers should be able to use ipv6 addresses in URLs instead of hostnames, and that the address should be wrapped in square brackets, eg:

https://[2001:44a8:2a6:9c00:a225:6ff:fca6:12e5]/

This works fine in Chrome and Firefox on my mac.

If I have a password for this site stored in 1Password, the browser extension is able to locate the correct entry in 1Password, however the auto-fill fails.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jessereynolds,

Thanks for writing in - I've been able to reproduce this by setting up a local server and adding that IP address you quoted as an alias on my lo0 network interface so I can see my locally hosted website when I click the link in your post. In my case, I was able to create a Login item in 1Password with the website field set to the URL using the IPv6 address and set some test credentials. However those credentials fail to fill on my local test website.

While I haven't dug in too far into why this is happening within 1password, as far as I understand we have never tried to get 1Password to work with web site addresses in IPv6 format as the vast majority of people will be using hostnames instead. So I'm sure there are simply something not working in our handling of the website URL in that format.

My only suggestion for now would be to add that IPv6 address to your hosts file on your computer which would provide a hostname that your computer can use to access this IPv6 address. From the sounds of your post you're a highly technical user, so I'm sure you're aware of this workaround but in the interest of helping others I'll include my suggestion in full:

1. To add a hostname locally, open the hosts file which if you're using a Mac, it would be located here: /etc/hosts and on Windows it would be located under c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    2. Open that hosts file (you will need Administrator privileges) and append the following line to the file:

2001:44a8:2a6:9c00:a225:6ff:fca6:12e5 testipv6.local

3. Save the file and then go back to your browser.

4. Use the following link to access the website:

http://testipv6.local/

5. With the website URL now in a format that 1Password can understand you should be able to fill as normal.

Let me know how that goes and if you've any questions about anything above don't hesitate to send a reply.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.