Feature Request: Add log into 1Password option for 1Password's Save Login window.

When prompting users to create or update a new password your dialog window should have the option to log into 1Password.

I frequently run into the workflow where I go to a website and when I go to log in I try to guess my password. I get the password was incorrect message from the website (Etsy as in the case of this screenshot) and then 1Password's Chrome or Safari plugin jumps up with your 1Password dialog box asking me to Create New or Update Existing. If I follow 1Password's workflow I'll destroy or create a bad duplicate.

What is really needed in this workflow is a 3rd option of Create New, Update Existing or LOG INTO 1PASSWORD so I can check to see if I already have this password stored.

PLEASE consider adding a simple Log Into 1Password option to this dialog window!!

thank you,

Stephen

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: Mac OS 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Riptide360,

I'm not sure I really follow I'm afraid. Part of the purpose behind a password manager is that every site uses an amazingly strong and unique password. The password manager helps record this and helps fill because these passwords aren't expected to be manually typed. As a result I don't attempt to manually log in anywhere, that's the role of 1Password via the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ when on the login page for the site.

Even if you overwrite the existing password of a good Login item you won't have destroyed it. Login items maintain a password history so you will always be able to recover the previous password.

Lastly, if you can see the save login window as visible in your screenshot your vault is already unlocked so I don't think a log into 1Password is quite what you want. Instead I think it would be useful if you can help us understand why you're not using 1Password's filling to begin with as this is part of what 1Password is meant to help you with.

• Riptide360
    Riptide360
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply Bobby! I appreciate the Command \ shortcut - never knew that one!

Basically the request is to have a quick way of getting from the 1Password dialog window as shown into 1Password. They keyboard shortcut helps, but having an icon in that dialog would help since you are already offering to update or create new! I find that I end up with several "new" logins where I have to use the last modified to try and determine which one was accessed last.

If there is a good video on the "proper" workflow for using 1Password I'd be interested. For now I use it as a Password manager and not like LastPasses workflow where I trust it to manage the passwords and the web browser experience (call me paranoid - but getting locked out is real!).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Riptide360,

I would recommend starting with our page Saving, filling, and changing your passwords. It's basically a navigation page to a number of useful pages, some with videos and it focusses on the extension. Once most of your sites are stored in 1Password the assumption is you'll be using the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ almost exclusively for reasons of speed and convenience. If you have any questions are perusing those pages please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.