Why I have to enter different passwords between computers to open 1Password?

Options
Fidelfs
Fidelfs
Community Member

I had a single password to open 1Password between computers. Let's say "aaaa".
I upgraded from the standalone version to the web version where you pay a fee monthly/yearly.
I upgraded three computers so far (2 Macs and one Windows). I understand the master password is required (So the master password is "bbbb") when you connect to 1Password server and the app has the digital signature (app password "aaaa") stored internally in the app.
There is another password to open the app, and it used to be "aaaa".
Two computers (1 mac and 1 window) allowed me to use the app password "aaaa", but the other Mac requires the master password "bbbb" to open the app.
Why?

I am afraid if I change the one that requires the master password to use the app password something might get corrupted.
What can I do to have the same app password?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5 (mac) and windows 10
Sync Type: used to be dropbox, now is automatic by the new ve

Comments

• Hi again @Fidelfs!

That's a great question. This issue can happen because 1Password can be configured in different ways on different computers, but since the name of our app is.. 1 Password, it needs to choose which password is the One to use to unlock.

Let me see if I can add some additional pieces to this puzzle. I'm going to guess that in this case "bbbb" is what you used to have as your Master Password with the standalone version, and that "aaaa" is what you're using for the Master Password for the 1Password.com account.

If that's the case, then I'm guessing that on the Mac where you're having to use "bbbb" to unlock you still have a Primary vault. You can tell by opening up the Vault Switcher in the upper left corner of the window. If there's a "Primary" vault then this is the case. "bbbb" would be the Master Password of the Primary vault, and that's what's being used to unlock the app. The app then has its own set of keys to know that "aaaa" is actually the Master Password of the account you've configured.

If I'm right so far, then you just need to determine if you still have a need for that old Primary vault. If not, then you should hop over to Preferences > Advanced on that Mac and see if you can uncheck the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" checkbox near the bottom. If it's not enabled it should tell you what you need to do to rectify this.

Once you have only the account on all of your devices, they should all be unlocking with the same Master Password.

If I'm wrong with my assumptions, please do let me know and we'll get this cleared up.

Rick

• Fidelfs
    Fidelfs
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. the problem is a little different from what you described here. Actually is the other way around.
    The mac computer (this is the one that I just upgraded to the new version of 1Password) has checked the option for "allow creation....", but it is gray out. This computer is using the old master password. This has a Primary vault (only that vault).

The other mac computer doesn't have checked that option and it is not gray out. (requiring new master password)
    It has 2 vaults "Personal" and "Transfer".

See is the other way around from what you explained. The "bbbb" password (new master) is for the "Personal" and "Transfer" vault and non-Primary vault has the "aaaa".

I can deduct the problem is with the Primary vault. How can I change the vault from Primary to Personal and Transfer?

• Fidelfs
    Fidelfs
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. I think I fixed.
    I add the account (new version) using the 1Password preferences and that allowed me to choose the personal and transfer.
    The option is not longer gray out and I was able to uncheck. Now all the computers uses the new master password.

Thanks,
    Fidel

• That's great to hear. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.