When I login to the 1Password app it says All Vaults. Why do I see every Primary vault entry twice?

Headley
Headley
Community Member

I have a family account at headley.1password.com but I am the only user so far. I have 330 items in my personal vault and zero in my shared vault. I also use 1Password 6.6.3 (663004) on a MacBook Air running OS 10.12.3 and when I login the default "All Vaults" shows each entry from my Primary vault twice. When I switch to my Primary vault I then see each entry once. Why do I see them twice? How can I change this?

1Password Version: 1Password 6.6.3 (663004)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:When I login to the 1Password app it says All Vaults. Why do I see every Primary vault entry twice?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Headley,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! When you added your Families account to the 1Password app on your Mac, it sounds like you copied all your items from the Primary vault to the Personal vault, which is why you have copies of all your items in both, and why they all appear in the 'All Vaults' view.

The Primary vault is your old local vault and is not part of your account. As long as you have all your latest data in your Personal account vault now, you don't need the Primary vault any more and can delete it. To do that, switch to the Primary vault in the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu. After reading the warning that appears, enter the master password for your Primary vault and click Delete Items and Vault.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• Headley
    Headley
    Community Member

That makes sense. During recent weeks I've added new entries and editing existing ones entirely in Primary, so Personal is not up-to-date. How do I copy everything from Primary to Personal before deleting Primary?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Headley,

Do you mean that all your latest / up-to-date information is in your Primary vault? If so, the easiest solution is to delete all the items from your Personal account vault, and then copy/move all the items from Primary to Personal. You can follow these steps:

1. Open/unlock 1Password and switch to your Personal account vault (using the vault switcher in the top left corner).
    2. Select All Items at the top of the sidebar.
    3. Right-click on one of the items in the list and choose Select All.
    4. Right-click on one of the selected items and choose Move to Trash (the Personal vault should now be empty).
    5. Switch to your Primary vault and select All Items at the top of the sidebar.
    6. Right-click on one of the items in the list and choose Select All.
    7. In the menu bar, go to Item > Share > Personal > Copy (or Move).

After you do that, go ahead and delete the Primary vault to avoid confusion. Let us know if you run into any trouble with that! :)

• Headley
    Headley
    Community Member

Is there a way to merge the two? I have made updates to both vaults over time, and wouldn't want to lose anything.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Headley: There isn't any way for 1Password to determine for you which data is "good", so you'll need to move the items you want and then delete the ones you don't want to keep.

• Headley
    Headley
    Community Member

Is there any ability to detect identical duplicates?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Headley: Ah, good question! It isn't possible for them to be identical, as the exact same item would overwrite the other. That's why this isn't something 1Password does, as we don't want a situation where you sync data between devices and the changes you made on another device are overwritten by the older version. It's not ideal, but having extra copies is better than data loss. Sorry I don't have a better solution for your particular situation.

This discussion has been closed.