How long will v4 be supported for?

Options

Hi folks,

I'm glad to see 1Password v4 is still receiving updates - have you set an "end of life" date for this version yet?

I don't want to move v6 until it has more of the v4 features (specifically I'd really like 'unlock on secure desktop' back!).

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RuncibleSpoon: We don't generally set "end of life" dates for products, as I think that sends the wrong message. After all, no matter which version of 1Password you're using, we're here to help you! So while 1Password 4 probably won't be getting any more major updates, we'll continue to give it security fixes and other things on a case-by-case basis, even as we work hard to close the feature gap in 1Password 6. Thanks for letting us know that Secure Desktop is important to you! I only wish that everyone could use it, as it doesn't work on some systems (which is why it's disabled by default). I'd really like us to come up with something even more people can use in 1Password 6, but we'll see what we can do. Cheers! :)

• RuncibleSpoon
    RuncibleSpoon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply @brenty!

Secure desktop just gives that extra confidence when unlocking that the thing you're entering your master password into is legitimate.

Hopefully it'll pop up in v6 one day :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise! :) :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

One thing I've seen is a program will work until a big update with the operating system comes along and breaks it.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@prime: Then it is great that 1Password 4 works on Windows 10. ;) Anyway, we are working really hard on 1Password 6, so hopefully we will be ready when the time comes.

Cheers,
    Greg

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @prime,

The main difference is that we've built 1Password 1-4 using the Windows' standard components, that is why it looks and function the way it is. Breaking 1Password 4 would involve Windows breaking its own default components and any other programs using it would also be broken. No Windows update has broken anything in 1Password 1-4 as far as I remember and we're talking about going back to the age of XP. 1Password 1-4 worked out of the box on 7, 8.1, and 10. There may have been some compatibility fixes and improvements but nothing seriously broken, it is not like macOS.

Microsoft has a very strong desire to maintain the backward compatibility support on Windows, as long as they keep that, 1Password 4 will continue to work.

1Password 6 is built in a separate new tooling suite and it is kind of funny because we do have to make tiny changes for different Windows versions. Sometime, the older they are, the more solid they tend to be across various versions.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! @MikeT learn something new everyday.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

I thought version 6 wasn't available for me, i.e. "not for 1Password 4 customers using local standalone vaults yet". Will version 6 eventually work with local vaults? Or am I, as is so often the case, confused or missing something? Sigh.

Thanks.

-g.

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @gorham,

That is still the case, I'm just mentioning 1Password 6 because how it will be different from 1Password 4 when it comes to long term/backward compatibility. How 1Password 4 was built worked great across several Windows versions but a brand new app using Microsoft's latest technologies seems to be more fragile about different Windows versions.

We still want to add local vaults to 1Password 6 down the line but don't expect it to be quick.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MikeT. Nice "talking" with you again.

Would it make any sense for a "team" of one (with one vault) to subscribe to v.6?

-g.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Gorham,

It is nice to see you too.

We have 1Password.com Individuals, you don't have to have a team to use 1Password.com or 1Password 6. We offer 1Password Individuals, 1Password Families and for business, Teams.

My suggestion is to give 1Password Individuals a try, we offer a month free for any 1Password.com plan. You can try it here: https://start.1password.com/signup/plan or learn more about the pricing here: https://1password.com/sign-up/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gorham: I'll also add that if you start off with an individual 1Password.com membership but expand your business in the future, it's easy to upgrade to a 1Password Teams account: just go to "Invite People" in your account menu. Cheers! :)

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

8-) Thanks @brenty. Good to know. Also thanks (as always) to @MikeT.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure thing! We're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.