SSL error when trying to update

This discussion was created from comments split from: "An SSL error has occurred ...".

Comments

• Thierry6
    Thierry6
    Community Member

Hello
    I have the same issue here and the same error message. Using macOS 10.12.3 on an iMac 2011, 1password from Agilebits store.

I can only update manually 1password with downloading manually the package from your site or use another account from my computer (I went from 6.5.5 to 6.6.3 today using my wife account).
    I had this issue before those versions too.
    I use little snitch, 1 password updater is enabled but maybe the update uses some protocol which is disabled on my account and not on my wife's ?
    This is my guess but I never been able to know which one.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Thierry6,

I'm sorry to hear you're having some trouble! I hope you don't mind, but I've split your post into a separate thread so we can focus on this specific issue.

When exactly do you get the SSL error? Is it when checking for updates from the main 1Password app, or when trying to install an update, or something else?

I suspect Little Snitch is the culprit here, and it's likely configured differently on your Mac user account than on your wife's. You should be able to allow all connections from 1Password somewhere in the Little Snitch settings. If there are separate settings for 1Password and the 1Password Updater, make sure you allow all connections for both.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• Thierry6
    Thierry6
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Hi
    thanks for answering
    it happens when checking for updates from the main 1Password app
    in Little Snitch setting, I have enabled 1password6, 1password mini and 1password updater.
    there is not any item mentioning 1password disabled

• Thierry6
    Thierry6
    Community Member

but when I stop Little Snitch, I still have exactly the same issue so this is not Little Snitch.
    Maybe I have done something else that disabled SSL ?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Thierry6,

Would you be able to take a screenshot of the error message you see when checking for updates? (Just make sure the screenshot doesn't show any personal/private information.) To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks! :)

• Thierry6
    Thierry6
    Community Member

do you read french ? :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Thierry6: No, but fortunately Google does. Thank you! :lol:

I think I entered this correctly (it wasn't easy! lol):

Mise à jour logicielle
    Échec de la recherche de mise à jour.
    Une erreur SSL s'est produite et il est impossible d'établir une connexion sécurisée avec le serveur.

Software update
    Failed to find update.
    An SSL error has occurred and it is impossible to establish a secure connection with the server.

This is a fairly familiar error. It simply indicates that a secure connection cannot be establish, either due to 3rd party software interfering, or an untrusted certificate authority installed. In both cases, this is often due to software which is trying to sniff the connection inserting itself between your computer and the server. Or you may simply have some outdated data in the system's cached. Do you have "security" software that might be trying to decrypt your secure traffic? Are you seeing any other errors?

• Thierry6
    Thierry6
    Community Member

Hi
    thanks for helping.
    only security software is little snitch, and I have the same issue when I pause it.
    no other issue with other application and it works with other accounts on the same computer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Thierry6: I can't imagine what it might be then, but the fact that it works on other user accounts definitely indicates that something is screwed up there, and not with 1Password. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. And post the Support ID you receive here so e can get back to you more quickly. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

This discussion has been closed.