How to set default among multiple accounts?

There are a few websites where I have multiple accounts ... for example, one account for myself and another for a client. In these cases, instead of using the command-slash shortcut to auto-fill the login info, I click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar, then type the website name to search for it, then select from the two saved logins I have.

However, in some cases I want to log into one account 99% of the time, so these extra steps seem needless. Is there a way to set the default account that is auto-filled with command-slash, and then I can only use the extra click/search/select workflow when I want to access the less-used account?

Currently the command-slash shortcut consistently auto-fills the less-used account, so I'm hoping that's a setting that I can change somehow.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: Mac 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

Hey @arlotone,

Thanks for writing in and it's a great question! :chuffed:

We don't have a way to set a default Login item however we do have ways to achieve what you want to do. Firstly it seems that you're running quite an old version of 1Password for Mac. In your version details it appears you have version 5.4.1 of 1Password for Mac installed, is that correct? The latest version is 6.6.3. I can provide you with instructions for how to do this with version 6.6.3 but I'm wondering if it's possible for you to upgrade first (this is free of charge from version 5) or is there a reason you wish to stay on the old version?

If you'd like to upgrade now, you can simply download the latest installer and then run the downloaded installer. After this should you should be upgraded.

I'm not sure if it's available back in version 5, but in version 6.6.3 you can edit the Login item that you wish to only use 1% of the time so that it's "Display" option is set to "Never display in the browser". You will need to click "Edit" on the Login item to see this option. Once changing the "Display" option and clicking "Save" will allow you to fill the commonly used Login using the Command \ shortcut.

However this will mean if you wish to use the lesser used Login item you will need to open your the main 1Password for Mac app and search for it and then click on the website field to log you in with Go & Fill. This does require the website field to be set to the correct URL that will take you to the login web page for the website you wish to access. Perhaps this will work for you?

Hopefully we can get this worked as you would like.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• arlotone
    arlotone
    Community Member

This option was available in 1Password 5, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra steps. I practically never have the 1Password app open because I can access most of the functionality I need through the browser plug-in. I'll give it a try, though.

BTW, I was using 1Password 5 in order to sync with another computer with an older OS that didn't support 1Password 6. I no longer need that, so I went ahead and updated to the latest app version.

• arlotone
    arlotone
    Community Member

Hello again. I found a problem in my setup that, once corrected, gave me the functionality I expected. The website I was logging into changed the URL of its login page some time ago, and oldlogin.company.com redirected to newlogin.company.com. I had saved my personal login from oldlogin.company.com and my client's login from newlogin.company.com. So they both worked, but naturally when I was viewing newlogin.company.com, the command-backslash shortcut defaulted to my client's login.

I updated the login URL for my personal account. Now when I'm viewing newlogin.company.com and I press command-backslash, the browser plug-in shows a popup window with the two accounts to select from. This is exactly what I needed and didn't require any new app settings, just consistent data entry on my part.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @arlotone,

That's great to hear - glad you upgraded and got the behaviour you wanted :chuffed:

Do let us know if you've any other questions about 1Password or hit other issues - we'd be happy to help.

All the best,
    Matthew

• arlotone
    arlotone
    Community Member

For the record, I want to clarify that upgrading 1Password is not what gave me the behavior I wanted; updating the URLs I had entered for the logins was.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying @arlotone, that's very useful for others to know if they're still relying on older versions of 1Password.

Thanks again :+1:

This discussion has been closed.