Backups > Show Files with no backups

Options
mschmitt
mschmitt
Community Member

If 1Password on OS X has never created a backup (such as, after installing on a new machine), then Preferences > Backups > Show Files just brings a random Finder window to the foreground, without changing which folder the Finder window is displaying. It could have something do with with there being no Backups subfolder in the 1Password 4 folder.

The expected result is that it should display the location where the backups would be, if there were any.

Note: Maybe 1Password should take a backup upon first successful connection to the Agile keychain?

1Password Version: 6.6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mschmitt,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about that! I tried it myself, and when I click the 'Show Files' button (and if no backups exist yet), it opens the data folder for 1Password where the Backups folder is normally found. Is that what happens for you as well? If so, at least that's not a random location. I can see how that might be confusing, although it's not something the vast majority of customers will ever notice, as the app will soon start making backups.

We appreciate the feedback and suggestion! If you need anything else or have questions about 1Password, don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member
    Options

No, it just brought an existing open Finder window to the foreground, without changing what that window was displaying.

I noticed it because after installing 1Password on the new machine, I was comparing the Preferences. When I got to the Backups pane there were no backups. I clicked the button to backup now and nothing happened, so then I tried the Show Files to see if it really didn't make a backup. (When I tried it again later it did make a backup that time.)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying, @mschmitt! I tried again and was able to reproduce this. Previously, I reset 1Password and removed existing backups, but the Backups folder itself still existed. When I tried again this time, I removed the entire data folder (including the Backups folder) before going through the setup. That seems to be the difference, because when I clicked 'Show Files' in the Backup preferences, it simply showed me the folder that was already open in the Finder, as you described. Once it creates at least one backup file, the 'Show Files' button will open the Backups folder as expected.

Thanks again for pointing this out! :)

This discussion has been closed.