To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Am I able to change multiple passwords at once?

Options
Thraxmanius
Thraxmanius
Community Member

Is there a way to bulk change passwords within 1Password?

I would like to make regular changes to my passwords, but doing them one at a time is agonising. We are told often enough to change our passwords on regular periods so I would expect a password management application to provide this now-a-days.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

They don't and I get what you're saying. I don't see this happening because there are sites that don't play will with password managers. Nothing that any password managers can fix, it's the website that causes the issues. I ran into 2 of them (eBay being one of them) where I have to get creative on making it change.

I came across this article about Th Cobra Effect and it seems to me, why this can never be done.... correctly.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

I know of Dashlane having such a bulk-password-change-feature which they promote very aggressively. But what they don't say is that it only works on some sites, not on each and every site out there.
    Plus I would not feel comfortable if a tool just started to change some passwords on my behalf.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I would LOVE to see this work with eBay and some others. Ebay even admitted in twitter that you can't paste to confirm the new password when I was asking them about it.

I'm too not comfortable doing this in bulk like that. I might make mine where I change 5 a month for something so it's not 100-150 in one day.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Thraxmanius - It's a great question. We don't have a feature that will let you change passwords in bulk. You will have to change them one at a time and I apologize for not having a better answer for you. We want you to be in control of the changes and we don't plan on offering a tool to change multiple login items at the same time. Certain websites are set up differently which could cause an issue changing multiple passwords all together. Again my apologies and we appreciate the feedback. Enjoy the rest of your day!

• Thraxmanius
    Thraxmanius
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you all for your comments.

Though I agree there are some sites that would bulk at the use of 1Password and I guess others apps, but these could be filtered out surely.

Anyhow, I was sent a link to LastPass who apparently offer mass site password changes so I think I will take a look and see if it is just hype. Got to admit I am not in to the subscription type services such as LastPass offers.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Thraxmanius - We appreciate the feedback and I'm sorry for not having a better solution for you. We're always happy to listen and I hope to hear back from you soon.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Thraxmanius
    I don't want to scare you, but are you aware that LastPass has a history of security issues? :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Security_issues
    The latest was just this week or last week and is not fixed afaik.

Either way, I also have tried LastPass (on iOS) and found it to be a pain to use. Maybe I'm spoilt by 1Password.
    One of the things that annoyed me the most is that you have to use two apps, if you want to have One-Time-Passwords. They have a "main app", where all your passwords etc. live and a separate authenticator app to use for OTPs.
    And I found the usability of their "main app" mediocre.

I recommend you take a look at their offering and form an opinion. (And then come back here ;) )

• Frank
    Options

I'm going to refrain from commenting on this Manaburner, I understand where your coming from but I don't want to put down our competitors. I'll leave it up to the customer to make their own decision based on their experience. :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I don't work for Agilebits (maybe some day lol), so I'll comment about the mass password change. It's a gimmick to me. It's like "wireless charging" to me, a gimmick. Unless I can walk around my house from room to room and on all levels, holding my phone at the same time while charging with out a cord, it's not wireless.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Frank
    no need to, they're putting themselves down ;)
    @prime that charging idea sounds interesting, but I doubt that you will live longer in such a house than your typical battery life is, because of all the electricity in there ;)

• Frank
    Options

I appreciate the discussion. Thraxmanius if you have any questions, we're happy to help out. Keep us posted and I look forward to hearing back from you :-)

• Thraxmanius
    Thraxmanius
    Community Member
    Options

Gentlefolk

Again thanks for all the feedback. @ Manaburner as it goes I did a google search for LastPass vulnerabilities yesterday and found a few concerns, it is something I will consider further during my trial of the product and services of LastPass. Already I am thinking very negative because I have a very limited budget and so the monthly service fee they charge is putting me off.

I have found a few sites that offer password changing apps and services so I might take the time to see what they offer. The Dashlane product looks interesting and I will have a quick look at this later today if I have the time.

• Thraxmanius
    Thraxmanius
    Community Member
    Options

Oh boy, well I installed Dashlanes application, It asked for an email and password, so I used a test email address I have and got 1Password to generate a password for me which I placed in the Dashlane app. It the informed me it was sending a authorisation code via email. I received this and entered in the appropriate box. When I pressed the login button the damn app said my password was incorrect, well I knew that was impossible so I tried again to end up with the same issues. So the grass in not necessarily greener on the other side. :(

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Thraxmanius - It's great to hear back from you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We definitely try our best to provide the best customer experience:+1: Keep us posted if you have any questions. Have a great weekend :-)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Again, it's just a gimmick. If you need gimmicks to sell, something isn't right.

• Jacob
    Options

That's one way to see it. Not everything is about selling, though :)

This discussion has been closed.