Login troubles with Citicards web site

On the Citicards.com web site, 1Password fills in my username and password, but then doesn't automatically hit the "Sign On" button. Instead, the page just sits there, then I use my mouse to click the Sign On button, but nothing happens. Hit it over and over again. Restart computer. Try again. That button is weirdly dead. I was able to delete and then manually type in my username, and that worked. But what the heck?

(Every single time I've tried to get 1Password to work on a web site on my desktop or on an app on my phone, there has been some weirdness like this, and it's getting very, very frustrating.)

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: No idea

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I've seen the "automatically sign on" doesn't work all the time. My mom had a site that it did something strange (can't remember what), so I turned off the auto sign in, and all was fine. She just had to let it auto fill, and she clicked "logged on" herself. Some financial sites don't play nice with password managers, and it's frustrating. Agilebits even made an Open Letter To Banks and I've used it a few times.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pdp: Can you provide some more details about where you're seeing this — for example, the URL and browser version? I login to my Citi accounts regularly but haven't encountered this particular issue. Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pdp: Thanks! In addition to having to click, that login form is kind of a mess. Try this URL instead:

https://accountonline.citi.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do

You may be able to simply change the URL, but manually saving a new login there will definitely work. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• pdp
    pdp
    Community Member

So, is this normal with 1Password? I need to search web sites for "good" forms and avoid the "bad" forms? How am I supposed to know? Where does one find the good forms? I spent two hours struggling with the Citicards login. The previous day, I struggled for an hour with the Fidelity login. Your program has really, really complicated my life.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pdp: I'm sorry that you feel that way. Personally, I find it less complicated to have an app that can remember and enter my passwords for me, rather than having to do it myself, but certainly there's plenty of room for improvement. Unfortunately we don't have control over the way websites are designed, and no two are alike. That's just the reality. There are clearly defined web standards that they can use to design compatible websites. And while it benefits users of password managers by making it easier to successfully save and fill long, strong, unique passwords to keep their customers secure, reduce their service costs, and generally make everyone's lives easier, there's a much, much better reason for adhering to web standards: accessibility. Now, it may be that neither you nor anyone you care about has the need for accessibility devices like screen readers, but I assure that as complicated as this seems to you it's much more difficult for the visually impaired. And I'm just talking about using a website, not trying to do anything fancy. That said, it's our goal to make your life less complicated, even if you've got 20/20 vision. And in that spirit we're constantly working to make 1Password better at saving and filling login credentials in general, but also with specific sites where it's more difficult; and we're always here to help if you run into any issues. But we can only offer help if you ask for it, so please let us know if you're still having trouble with Citi, Fidelity, or any other sites in particular, rather than struggling alone. 1Password isn't perfect (and perhaps never can be), so we'll keep working to make it better, and we're always here to assist you no matter what.

• pdp
    pdp
    Community Member

Thanks for your response. I know the vast majority of your users love your product. I have been slowly migrating my info to 1Password this past month, one site at a time, and every single site has been a challenge.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pdp: Ah, I hear you. Thank you for giving 1Password a chance! We've made some progress in this area, but there is still a learning curve. But while 1Password has plenty of room for improvement (we know this more than anyone!) we love working to make it better, and are more than happy to help in any way we can. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions, comments, or suggestions you might have. Seriously, we're here for you. :chuffed:

• jimmacmillan
    jimmacmillan
    Community Member

I know that this discussion has been inactive for a few months now but I feel the need to defend 1P in this scenario. I'm a Citicard user so I understand the frustration. Having said that, Chrome's password manager (at least for me) will not even fill in the login form. In fact it's one of the reasons I searched out a password manager. Still, the more I use 1P the more I like it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jimmacmillan: Thanks for the kind words. As you pointed out, it's definitely a difficult problem, not only for us, but for other apps' login filling as well. I don't think that compatibility with password filling is a priority for most websites, and while I can't say this is the case with Citi, from experience it seems like incompatibility with password filling is a priority for many financial sites. Often they go out of their way to thwart this, making customers jump through hoops (e.g. "enter the n th character of your password") in the process. So in that regard I'd say Citi is much better than others.

But I'm also fortunate enough not to be visually impaired to the point where I simply cannot use this and other sites. So while I'd argue that compatibility with password manager is important (since it allows us to practically use strong, randomly generated, unique passwords to keep our accounts secure, which benefits everyone), I think that making websites accessible to everyone is a goal we can all get behind — and when you do that, you effectively get compatibility with password managers "for free".

But since we're all living in the really real world, at AgileBits, we'll keep working hard to improve 1Password, since that's the piece we have control over; and we're here to help in any way we can. Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@jimmacmillan an idea I suggest is Tweet them on Twitter. I just tweeted them the Open letter to the banks and they did respond to it. My issue is they want me to direct message them my issue, and I don't use them :lol:

So I think if enough of us say something, they may change it. Doesn't hurt to try.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Yknow what, you're right. It's been too long since I tried. Thanks for inspiring me to tweet my banks about this again — including thanking one who works great with 1Password and even integrated it for logging into their iOS app. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.