Help! Cannot access items secured with master password!

alexandros
alexandros
Community Member

Hello, I've been using 1password for many years now without any problems.
I'm not sure exactly when this started, but I cannot access the items I have secured with master password!

I'm running 1Password 3.7.2 on iOS 10.2.1 with 320MB free space. When I click on a secured item and enter the correct master password, the screen freezes for 2-3secs then the app crashes. If I enter any wrong password I get an error message and the app doesn't crash.
Also, when I tap on the '<-- Logins' button, the app crashes again (that is the back to main logins screen arrow button on the top left).

Things I've tried:

• I downloaded a database backup by enabling the WiFi server on my iPhone, then downloading a 1Password0100-20170322.1ptbackup file to my Mac.
  • I installed the latest iOS 1Password 6.5.3 on the same iPhone, then when I open the old 3.7.2 I get prompted to 'Import into new 1Password'. Then I enable Airdrop, tap on the Send to 1Password button, then the new 1Password opens, I press the Import Now button and the new app crashes immediately.
  • I tried zipping and renaming this file as @Drew_AG suggested in another thread, then tried restoring this zip in latest MacOS 1password but it didn't work (the app crashed)
  • I tried adding the above zipped and renamed file into the new 1Password iTunes File Sharing, then from Advanced clicked 'Restore from Backup' option, again the iOS app crashed.

Can you please help? The items I have secured are very very important to me and I do not have any other backup of them. If I lose them I'm losing years of work which is a huge catastrophe. I've always trusted 1Password to be my go-to-choice for storing secure items, I never imagined this moment will come..

Thank you very much for your help,
Alex

1Password Version: 3.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.21
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@alexandros: I'm relieved because it sounds like you know your Master Password. When I first started reading this I thought you might have forgotten it, and there's simply nothing that can be done in that case. If you know it, there's almost certainly a solution though. :)

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us. I'm sorry for the trouble you're experiencing in migrating your data from 1Password 3 (the older version) to 1Password 6 (the new version). 1Password Pro 3.7.2 is over five years old now, no longer under active development, and will not receive further updates. iOS itself has gone through several major updates since 1Password Pro 3.7.2 was current. While 1Password Pro 3.7.2 has remained relatively stable in the years since each subsequent update to iOS does seem to diminish its functionality and stability. Unfortunately the migration process can be fragile and somewhat unintuitive depending on your setup.

However, it does sound like there may be one simple thing you haven't tried. Rather than importing the data using 1Password 3, if you install a fresh copy of 1Password 6, one of the setup options is to migrate from the old version. Please try that if you haven't already, as that should be able to load it right up provided you have the correct Master Password. But if you're still having trouble, shoot us an email at support+forums@agilebits.com with all of the details of your OS, 1Password, and device versions, and we'll walk you through the migration. Just be sure to post the Support ID you receive here so we can get back to you quickly. I look forward to hearing from you!

• alexandros
    alexandros
    Community Member

Hey @brenty ,

Thanks for your quick response!
    I've just sent you an email detailing the problem as well as the steps I've tried to solve the issue (support ID is [#LSX-72574-516] )

As per your suggestion, I've followed this migration guide from 1Password v.3 to 1Password v.6 but it did not work. Specifically I tried both ways but with no luck:

1) Through the old 1Password 3, I selected the 'Import into new 1Password' option from the popup, then tapped the 'Copy to 1Password' on the popup as per the instructions, but then I wasn't prompted to enter the master password at all. In fact nothing else happens after this step, I'm still at the old v3 1Password, and no other screens appear.

2) I tried the second way too, by uploading database '1Password0100-20170322.1ptbackup' I exported from the WiFi server of 1Password v3. I dropped this file into iTunes File Sharing, on 1Password app. then from the Advanced>Import Vault section of the app, I select that backup file and tap Import Now. Then the app crashes and exits without any warnings!

Any ideas?
    Thanks very much for your support on this important issue,

Alex

• alexandros
    alexandros
    Community Member

Hey @brenty,

Thanks very much for your quick response and help on this serious issue, I appreciate this!
    I've just sent you an email describing the problem as well as the steps I've taken to solve it (support ID is [#LSX-72574-516] )

As per your suggestion, I followed the steps in this migration guide from 1Password v.3 to 1Password v.6 but it did not work.
    Specifically, I tried both ways mentioned in the guide, with no luck:

1) Through the old 1Password 3, I selected the 'Import into new 1Password' option from the popup, then tapped the 'Copy to 1Password' on the popup as per the instructions, but then I wasn't prompted to enter the master password at all. In fact nothing else happens after this step, I'm still at the old v3 1Password, and no other screens appear.

2) I tried the second way too, by uploading database '1Password0100-20170322.1ptbackup' I exported from the WiFi server of 1Password v3. I dropped this file into iTunes File Sharing, on 1Password app. then from the Advanced>Import Vault section of the app, I select that backup file and tap Import Now. Then the app crashes and exits without any warnings!

Any ideas?
    Again, thanks very much for your support and understanding,

Alex

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alexandros: Thanks for the details! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you as soon as possible!

ref: LSX-72574-516

• alexandros
    alexandros
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty for the update,
    Let me know if you need any more information from me (ex. my IP address to pinpoint crash reports?)

I'll be eagerly waiting for your response on this,

Best, Alex

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.