Uninstalled FF extension; can't reinstall

1Password 4.6.1.619. Firefox 64-bit v. 56.0.1. Windows 7 64-bit.

My 1pw icon disappeared from Firefox after I installed - and uninstalled - some new extensions. At that point, 1pw was still listed in my add-ons but the icon was missing and 1pw wasn't available from the customize option. So I uninstalled the extension intending to reinstall it and hope to get the icon (and my life) back. Now I can't even get the extension to install. It starts to download but stops with the message that "the add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure". I get that from the green button install link and also the download from the AgileBits server, hosted on Amazon EC2.

I tried pausing my ESET AV and Malwarebytes. No joy.

I have a bunch of XPI files in my Firefox profile but couldn't find any identifier indicating 1pw. Ah! But I do have, in today's regular backup folder (Firefox extension download) two XPI files. One is 1Password-4.6.0.xpi* (sic) and the other is 1Password-4.6.1.xpi* The asterisks are part of the filenames but I don't know whether my backup program added them or if they're really part of the filename. I have other XPI files created by that backup program and they don't have asterisks so ... But those are the versions of the desktop 1pw and, as I recall, the extension version was different.

I should also mention that I "upgraded" to Firefox 64-bit a few days ago. But my icon has been there and worked since that. There was a Firefox upgrade earlier today and that may coincide with the other activity.

I have 1pw enabled in Internet Explorer 11 but can't get the icon there either. I don't use that browser except for proofing so it isn't especially bothersome. Interestingly, I also have it enabled in Opera (43.0) where it's completely normal, icon and all. But I don't use that browser either. Sigh.

I'm sure I'm missing something to tell you. You'll let me know. But I do hope I can get my working extension and icon back soonest. They've really become a critical part of my working day. Might be you intended that.

Thanks as always.

-G.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.619
Extension Version: I need a TARDIS ...
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @gorham,

Thank you for contacting us and giving us a chance to help! :+1:

It looks like you bumped into troubles with extension installation we outlined in the following article:

If you can't install the 1Password extension on your Windows PC

Could you please try to take the steps we mentioned there (ESET and Firefox related) and let us know if it helps?

I will be looking forward to your reply!

Cheers,
    Greg

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Good morning and thanks.

Actually I came back to report that I woke up this morning with more energy and better brainwaves and actually figured it out. It may have been more drastic than required but maybe what I did will also help others. I did remember that the security applications could hinder installation but I have no idea why the icon disappeared in the first place.

Anyway, I went into safe mode (with networking) and stopped ESET (AV) service, MBAM (Malwarebytes) service and Windows Defender service. Then, still in safe mode, I opened 1Password. I think maybe I opened version 1. Anyway, it got me to the Firefox extension installer. Which again was the old version but which very kindly offered version 4 which I chose. And it did install! I opened Firefox to verify and then shut down out of safe mode. When I booted normally, all was as it should be. All my security services have resumed and Firefox has the extension and icon back where they belong.

This is all wordy but my take on it is Safe Mode (with networking) --> stop all security services --> open 1Password, install Firefox extension --> reboot to normal desktop.

Thanks for taking the time.

-G.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@gorham: That is great to hear! Thanks for good news. :chuffed:

Please contact us anytime if there is something else we can help you with. Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.