Can I still buy standalone license for the 1password? [no longer being marketed]

Comments

• Hi @Frank,

Thank you for your message.

Believe me, I hear you... and have been in the software industry long enough (and at times in your very shoes) to appreciate the delicacy of the situation...

Sure : no one knows for sure what the future will bring about... Anything can happen the next moment... some of which much beyond our control... etc, etc, ..

And that's precisely why we've got terms such as "plan", "program", "roadmap",... These do not have to coincide with outright prediction or fortune-telling... BUT they do need carry two important notions (at a minimum) :

• genuine intent
    • genuine effort (i.e. resource commitment)

What is being asked here is precisely this kind of announcement, in either direction; so that your current and potential customers (including myself) can make their own plans...

Naturally, this kind of call / announcement would have to come from the top decision makers of agileBits. So, if you do not happen to be one of those, please feel to forward this request.

As a matter of fact, the fact that standalone licences are no longer being marketed is already an implied sign on its own in one particular direction... If that persists, people will end up getting the message... Perhaps a bit later than sooner, that's all...

I myself became aware of the situation when I visited the agileBits site the other day in order to purchase a copy of 1pasword for my spouse (whom I was finally able to convince to start using a password manager after all this time...)

So, whilist waiting for a proper announcement on behalf of agileBits, I would appreciate if you could post or send me the famous "link" for getting a standalone license, before she changes her mind... :-)

(in any case, if I do end up needing to switch password managers, I am in for a massive data migration, anyway. So adding her data would not be much of a deal.)

• Hello all,

First off, as an IT manager, I do appreciate the concerns of maintaining a consistent revenue stream to ensure further development. As such, I really have no problems with a subscription model that helps you stabilize your bottom line.

That being said, also as an IT manager, being asked to effectively re-purchase the app every year for a reduced feature set is a bit more difficult to swallow. Yes, I get it that you're offering a smoother user experience by going the LastPass-style route- but I really do prefer to use Dropbox (even with the API issues that creates over time).

I also recognize that I'm an edge case. :)

I implore you to maintain the feature of allowing local control of your keyfile; along with Dropbox and iCloud support. With these features, if (actually, when) you try to force me to a subscription model, I would be willing to go.

But but in the meantime, I do need an additional license... :) Can you please send me the link to download and purchase a standalone version of 1Password 6?

Thank you!

• hallo, can someone explain the difference between a subscription plan and a standalone one?
    I know you're pushing the subscription plans, but I'm oriented on a standalone one due to an economic factor.
    Will I be fine using a mac and an iPhone with that?
    thanx

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @aleviga,

You can read about the differences here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

From a financial perspective a subscription is much easier to budget for because it includes access to the latest versions of all of our applications, whereas standalone licenses do no. A standalone license is for one platform (e.x. Mac), and for one specific version (e.x. v6). If you switch or add another platform that is a separate purchase. If we release an upgrade and make it available for standalone licensing that would be a separate purchase. Additionally each license only covers one person, whereas a 1Password Families subscription allows for up to 5 people to use 1Password.

If you do decide to purchase the standalone products instead of subscribing you actually may pay more.

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@Ayk and @Gallamor

I'm going to reach out to each of you individually by email by the end of day today. :)

Ben

• Please can you send me a link to purchase a stand alone version?

Many Thanks

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @NLong,

We're no longer marketing stand alone versions of 1Password. Have you read through our account benefits guide?

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Ben

• Can I please have the link to buy the standalone version. I use 1password for the past 2 years and never had any trouble installing or sync it. Don't see the value of paying every months.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @tiju,

Please see above. If you'd like to discuss further please feel free to drop us an email to [email protected].

Thanks!

Ben

• Hi @Ben

I have indeed read about the benefits and completely understand your business model. I do, however, have a special use case that a stand alone version would work better for.

Many Thanks,

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Please drop us an email to [email protected] so we can further discuss. When you email in you'll receive an automated response back with a support ID. Please post that ID here.

Thanks!

Ben

• Why don't you give the choice to people without making it so secret ?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@tiju,

Because we're no longer marketing the standalone apps.

Ben

• I'd like to buy the stand alone license. Please contact me about it.

YAP-48911-833

• FrankFrank

Team Member
    edited May 2017

Hi terfos - Thank you for posting the Support ID number here. I located your email and we'll get back to you shortly :smile:

ref: YAP-48911-833

• Hi, I've sent an email to [email protected] asking how to buy for a Standalone license. Waiting for it.
    Thanks.

• FrankFrank

Team Member

Thank you for letting us know :smile: I noticed Jen was able to reply back to you so let's continue the discussion over there.

ref: GNL-38311-445

• I've read the pros and cons of subscription and stand alone. I'd like the link to the stand alone license. Thank you.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@kompeitou

Please drop us an email to [email protected] including your forum username ( kompeitou ) so we can further discuss. When you email in you'll receive an automated response back with a support ID. Please post that ID here.

Ben

• Bonjour,

I'm using 1Passeport for several years, and did advocate for your product. I like it very much.

I understand what your compagny want to do, but that is very far from where I'm ready to go. I will never go licensing, I'm against that trend. If I cannot bye a standalone, I will have to go elsewhere. Sorry guys, but sometimes, you have to go with the clients or loose your base support. And, if I read well what's written here, I'm not alone. So, I hope you will reconsider. Thank you.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @macisard,

We feel a 1Password.com membership is the better solution for most customers, and it seems most customers agree. There is certainly a vocal minority who are comfortable with the standalone product, and we aren't taking that away. If you've already got a standalone license you can continue to use it. If you're looking to purchase a 1Password for Mac license please send us an email as described above and we'd be happy to discuss.

Ben

• primeprime
    edited May 2017

@macisard I used the stand alone for many years and switched to the subscription, and I'm not looking back. It's far easier, piece of mind, no longer relying on Dropbox (who lost my trust for ever, and unlimited devices.

There are also many people who are/were in my shoes. The issue with the internet, it's the people who are upset who are the loudest.

Also, if you already bought the stand alone in the past, it's not like AgileBits is going to shut them off. I seriously do not get this. Again, I had the stand alone, and I am free to go back to them if I want.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks @prime. :)

Ben

• Not a problem @Ben! :+1:

• I've been seeing a constant theme here, but since you don't market standalone accounts anymore, how do I recommend your apps to people who only want or need a standalone account. I talk to people day after day who are in great need of a password manager and 1Password is the best one I've ever used, but most people don't want to buy in to a subscription until they know how much they'll use it. Thank you for my two minutes...

• primeprime
    edited May 2017

@therelybare I tell them the benefits of the subscription. If far easy to use, has back ups, you don't have to rely on 3rd party apps anymore (I posted why I lost my trust with Dropbox a few times, and just a few posts up from this post), unlimited times putting the apps on different devices, and more. If you get the family subscription, you can have as many organizers as you want, to help eliminate the "ooops I forgot my master password and lost all my passwords".

Talking to people, I think the 2 things people are afraid of are (after the whole "put all my passwords in one spot!?" talk:

1. What if I forget my master password?
    2. Why do I have to use Dropbox to sync? (most non-techie people won't or can't use wifi sync due to set up)

They made it so even none-techie people can uses it easily. One of my fears was my in-laws. They travel a lot and if they needed to get a new iPhone, I know my in-laws wouldn't been able to set up 1Password very easily at all. The new subscription makes it 100% easier to set up, and they can now do this without me around. That's huge in my opinion.

I also break down cost for them. Everyone I know spends more on coffee in one day then they would on a month subscription to 1Password. IMO it's not that much considering what it's protecting... your finacinaces (credit card/bank), it can store important documents, and more. Using the same or weak passwords for important stuff will cost you way more in the long run to fix.

I am willing to bet others can chime in too. I used the stand alone for years and I like the subscription much, much better.

• Good for you, Prime, but I believe in owning my app., not in leasing it. The later may fit with you, but I will not enter the world of licensing.

• primeprime
    edited May 2017

@macisard hate to break it to you, but technically you never own an app, movies, or music... I think even these days you don't even own a GM car or a John Deere

I also spend money on other apps that "I owned" and kept paying for updates. IMO this is no difference. But I now get the updates all the time without doing anything anymore.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@macisard,

When you "purchase the app" you're licensing it, not buying it. As prime pointed out, you never truly own software unless you're the copyright holder.

Many folks find it easier to budget for the subscription vs having to pay for upgrages sporadically. Additionally it makes it much easier to change devices or platforms, as unlike licensing a subscription give you access to the latest version of the 1Password apps for whatever supported devices you're using.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.