Can I still buy standalone license for the 1password? [no longer being marketed]

Comments

• @Ben

Additionally it makes it much easier to change devices or platforms, as unlike licensing a subscription give you access to the latest version of the 1Password apps for whatever supported devices you're using.

Much easier to change devices and operating systems. I've been on this site for 2 years and I remember reading a lot on here "I had the Mac version, but it won't work on my Windows PC, I have to buy another copy!?" all the time. This subscription eliminates this problem, and my wife can use her Windows version while we have all Apple at home... except my one Ubuntu laptop, but the 1Password.com makes it easy and I shrill have access to my passwords :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:+1: :)

Ben

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

@therelybare I note that you say that people don't want to buy into a subscription until they know how much they'll use it. I don't think any of the other replies have pointed out that there is a thirty-day free trial, and even a longer period from time to time.

Also, a stand-alone licence is approximately the same cost as a two years sub. In those two years there would probably be an upgrade, whose stand-alone cost would be about that of another year's sub. So the sub only starts to become more expensive after around three years.

And the sub's value is even greater if one is using more than one OS, as it covers all versions. Of course, this isn't relevant to everyone.

• Literally the only reason why I switched from LastPass to 1Password was the option of storing the vault locally on my computer. Every time I saw LastPass mentioned anywhere, I would extol the virtues of 1Password and how it was a secure alternative for those who simply do not wish to trust their data to any cloud service.

I'm struggling to remember a point in time when I was more disappointed with a software company than I am at hearing how difficult you are making it for people to purchase the stand-alone version.

Of course I understand that you want a steady flow of income rather than relying on one-time purchases (I too am a software developer), but why in the name of Thor's thundering buttocks can you not offer the OPTION of letting the user control their own data? Would the added support from people who enabled Advanced mode and clicked through 5 warnings and entered their master password thrice to disable "cloud mode" to revert to the old behaviour really outweigh all the downsides with your current system?

I know that reading that paragraph made you want to dig up the link to the security whitepaper and whatnot, but it's irrelevant. I'm sure LastPass had good security on their servers as well, didn't stop them from being compromised. It doesn't matter if you have your triple encryption system going on, the fact is that if your servers ever get compromised, users have to change their passwords. Sure, your encryption is unbreakable today, maybe it's even unbreakable next year. But what about in 2 years? In 5 years? Do you have a crystal ball that tells you there will be no breakthroughs in computing, no vulnerabilities in the encryption layers, so your encryption scheme can never be broken and any stolen vaults will remain secure for all time?

With the app I have just now, if I receive an email saying the agilebits.com or 1password.com servers have been compromised, I go "k" and move on with my day.
    With your subscription system, if I receive the same email, I'm now scrambling to change 1500+ passwords (and figuring out which of those 1500+ sites are still active and online) because I don't know if or when my vault is ever going to be cracked.

Every single tech blog and internet discussion I visited after the LP hack, and the LogMeIn acquisition, listed 1P as the secure alternative because it had an offline mode that let you control the sync yourself. Now, all those thousands of articles and posts are factually incorrect, because you've developed a system that has the same problems LP had.
    To re-iterate, it doesn't matter how good your encryption scheme is, it doesn't matter if your servers are behind 7 proxies, if your servers ever get compromised, security conscious users will still be forced to conclude that their vaults are vulnerable and as such, they need to change all their passwords.

Which, for many of us, is exactly the reason why we didn't want forced cloud sync.

I give you guys enough credit to believe you weren't blind to the fact that every tech blog and discussion recommended 1P due to its offline feature, so I can only assume this decision was purely a financial one, with no regard for your customers.
    Being able to edit our vaults via a website is the only feature I've seen that you technically didn't have to build, everything else is the bare minimum that you would need in order to sell people on a subscription. I find the notion that editing vaults via a website is a big enough selling point to warrant taking away control over our data completely laughable and quite insulting.

I would even go so far as to say this decision is more idiotic than Microsoft's decision to include ads and forced data tracking in Windows 10 - at least Windows 10 is free. I didn't pay for Win10, and if they stick with their current plans, I won't have to pay for Windows ever again. I'm not okay with what they are doing, and I'm certainly not okay with seeing ads on my lock screen, but when I don't pay for the product, I am the product. I can accept that much.

In summary, I'll simply say I would rather use a text document or a password protected note in OS X to store my passwords than use an online-only vault. If you have even the slightest regard for your customers, please build an offline-only mode into 1P 7. It shouldn't be that difficult, considering that's how your existing app works.

• @Belazor if you still have the single license, they said many, many, many times that you can keep using it.

• edited May 2017

@danco The people I'm trying to get to use 1Password are my parents and in laws among others, who stray away from buying apps, much less paying subscription-based services. I'm just trying to get them to use their iOS app to save passwords other than putting it into an excel document or putting it on a piece of paper. Honestly, they've balked at using 1Password because it wanted a method of payment. That's all I was really trying to get at. Personally, I purchased a license for my windows machine, my mac (which I don't have any more) and my iOS devices. I have what I need. I have other friends that are posting about the way they treat passwords and I wanted to direct them to 1Password. I don't know if they will balk either, but I thought it would be beneficial for them to, at least, buy the app for their phone and protect their passwords. That's why I was asking about the standalone account. I didn't mean to start or continue a war! :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited May 2017

I would extol the virtues of 1Password and how it was a secure alternative for those who simply do not wish to trust their data to any cloud service.

@Belazor: The most important "feature" (if you can call it that) of 1Password.com, is that you don't have to trust "the cloud" with your sensitive data; all the server ever gets is an encrypted blob, and only you ever have the keys to decrypt it. Otherwise we wouldn't use it either. It's just too important. So while there are much sexier benefits to a 1Password.com membership, that's the only reason we were willing to build it in the first place. After all, if is isn't truly secure, the convenience and sexy features (and less-sexy features like automatic offsite backup) aren't worth the ones and zeros their encoded in.

With the app I have just now, if I receive an email saying the agilebits.com or 1password.com servers have been compromised, I go "k" and move on with my day.

Yep. And using 1Password.com, it's the same. I think the thing you're overlooking is that because of the 1Password.com security model, those who use it do control their data. There just isn't anything AgileBits or anyone else can do with it. And the security model does matter. The whole point of all of this is that a breach of 1Password.com won't give an attacker access to my data, yours, or anyone else's who uses the service, because they can't get the keys from us; only users like you and I have them, so we have the power. And saying that 1Password.com can be "hacked" just because some other website did is like saying that all movies are terrible based on Star Wars Episode I. There's a right way and wrong way, whether we're talking about A Galaxy Far Far Away or a password manager at your fingertips. We can all learn from others' mistakes. And there's plenty of incentive for people to find ours.

To re-iterate, it doesn't matter how good your encryption scheme is, it doesn't matter if your servers are behind 7 proxies, if your servers ever get compromised, security conscious users will still be forced to conclude that their vaults are vulnerable and as such, they need to change all their passwords.

Nope. Our servers just don't have the power to give up all of your passwords so you'd have to change them. Only you can do that.

But ultimately no one is forcing you to use 1Password.com or any other cloud service, so it's up to you.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I thought it would be beneficial for them to, at least, buy the app for their phone and protect their passwords. That's why I was asking about the standalone account. I didn't mean to start or continue a war! :)

@therelybare: Ha! No worries! I think pretty much anyone who would participate in this kind of discussion is going to have a strong option, and frankly I think it's beneficial for all of us to challenge our assumptions. :)

I think you're right on that for a lot of people the mobile app can be a good place to start. But if they come to rely on it at all, down the road they can get into a lot of trouble if they're not using a 1Password.com account:

• "I had to replace my phone because it broke, but now I can't find my passwords!"
    • "I deleted something I didn't mean to, but now I'm missing (the 1Password app / a login / etc.)
    • "I forgot my Master Password!"
      or, perhaps the least terrifying but nevertheless annoying:

• "I want to use 1Password on my computer. Do I really have to buy something else?"

This is what we see every day. It's a long, long list, but I think that gives you an idea of why we created 1Password.com memberships, and why we believe so strongly that they're really the best option for the vast majority of people.

• primeprime
    edited May 2017

@Belazor the whole LastPass "hack" wasn't that big of an issue. All the hackers got was the blob. Unless they knew the master password of the blobs, they didn't get anything. I've been reading a lot when these issues happen.

As for Windows 10 being free, here is a tip on free stuff... if it's free, you're the product, not the customer. Have you read all the privacy issues with Windows 10? If you want to avoid them, you have to buy the professional version of Windows 10. I'm sorry, I would never be the product. If I was to go to Windows 10, I would pay for the professional one. But that's my opinion. If you want ads in your password manager, that is a horrible idea, and can lead to issues.

Being able to edit our vaults via a website is the only feature I've seen that you technically didn't have to build, everything else is the bare minimum that you would need in order to sell people on a subscription. I find the notion that editing vaults via a website is a big enough selling point to warrant taking away control over our data completely laughable and quite insulting.

You obviously haven't read the whole thing, because you can do some much more with it. You can manage what devices have it (delete access to that device if that devices is stolen or lost), manage vaults with other people, recover a vault for someone, a big back up, and more.

I think you're right on that for a lot of people the mobile app can be a good place to start. But if they come to rely on it at all, down the road they can get into a lot of trouble if they're not using a 1Password.com account:

"I had to replace my phone because it broke, but now I can't find my passwords!"
    "I deleted something I didn't mean to, but now I'm missing (the 1Password app / a login / etc.)
    "I forgot my Master Password!"
    or, perhaps the least terrifying but nevertheless annoying:

"I want to use 1Password on my computer. Do I really have to buy something else?"

This is what we see every day. It's a long, long list, but I think that gives you an idea of why we created 1Password.com memberships, and why we believe so strongly that they're really the best option for the vast majority of people.

@brenty
    You also can add the people who try to sync a legacy 1Password to a brand new 1Password and it doesn't work right.

I've been on here for over 2 years now and I have seen these issues a lot as well. The new subscription is a life saver for my in-laws who travel a lot, for months at a time. It's soooo much easier to set up a new device now with the subscription. My 60+ mom can do it easily as well :)

I think (again this is my opinion) when 1Password 1st started, it was aimed towards techie people who can set up wifi sync, Dropbox, or file share. Times has changed and AgileBits has to change also. More and more people are using password managers and AgileBits had to do something to make it easy for the none-techie people who just expect it to work. It had to be very user-friendly. The people who don't want to download a 3rd party app to make it work, fiddle with settings for syncing, and others things. I love tech stuff, but I even want it to "just work" at times. I'm the guy my family calls for help, and at times I wanted to scream. They all know I read this stuff for fun, I help run 2 tech sites also, and for the most part, it's fun. But I am getting older, I just want it to work like it should. Now we have this subscription, and it's just that, user-friendly for the none-techie person.

It took some getting use too for me and some reading/research on this, but I like it a lot. I've gone from "the subscription is stupid" to "best thing ever" :)

• FrankFrank

Team Member

Thank you Prime for sharing your experience with us :blush: I'm glad to hear you're happy with your 1Password membership. :+1:

• I too want to get a standalone license. I would buy into the subscription model if you allowed users to use local vaults. I would also want assurances that 1password would continue to work with no internet or at least no connection to your servers. So far I haven't seen that either of these are possible. I have a license for Windows and now want a licence for a Mac. At one time you offered a discount for a second platform license is this still true? In any case can you send me a link for the purchase of a Mac license?

• @gmaddry I have the subscription and it does work without internet.

• OK. Last I saw there wasn't a local file. I guess things have changed. You mean there is no check for license? If so after you get it what is to keep you from using it after your license expires?

• Can you please send me the link to purchase a single windows/mac license, I only want to use the dropbox vault. It's a pitty that i cannot create a dropbox vault with my purchased ios version, therefore it seems I need to buy a further license to create dropbox vaults. I am no fan of further cloud storages and subscription models, therefore it's not an option for me.

Thanks in advance
    Florian

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@lyann,

My apologies but 1Password for Windows is no longer available to be licensed. If you'd like to use 1Password on Windows you'll need a 1Password.com subscription account.

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@gmaddry

1Password caches your data locally for offline use even if using a 1Password.com membership. It is definitely possible to access your 1Password data while offline, so long as you already have logged into your 1Password account through the 1Password app on your device.

Ben

• Ben,
    But can I sync without your servers? How long can I run without contacting your servers? You say if I have logged in to my account I can access data, but what if I reboot offline will I still be able to access my data?
    My concern is what would happen if Agilebits disappeared. I certainly hope the company will be around for a long time but things change and I have a LOT of data in 1Password.
    For Mac the app standalone is still available from the App store for $64.99, so I will have to buy a full license for $64.99 to use Mac with my Windows 4 1Password?
    As I said in a earlier post I am not opposed to a subscription but I need for the 1Password to revert to standalone mode if Agilebits were no longer available.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

But can I sync without your servers?

@gmaddry: Technically yes, you could use local vaults and sync using Dropbox or something...but this isn't something we recommend as you're giving up most of the convenience of a 1Password.com membership without gaining any security benefit by doing so.

How long can I run without contacting your servers?

1Password works offline, but you'll still need to sign in to your 1Password.com account in each of the apps in order to authorize them. Otherwise you'll be stuck with the trial restrictions. 1Password just has no way of knowing you've paid otherwise.

You say if I have logged in to my account I can access data, but what if I reboot offline will I still be able to access my data?

Yep. I do it all the time, especially when traveling. 100$ for 100MB internationally is too rich for me. :lol:

My concern is what would happen if Agilebits disappeared. I certainly hope the company will be around for a long time but things change and I have a LOT of data in 1Password.

Even if AgileBits disappears (we've been around for over a decade and go to a lot of trouble to be able to keep doing what we love, and people paying us for our work helps a lot), you can still export your data from the app, even without the server.

For Mac the app standalone is still available from the App store for $64.99, so I will have to buy a full license for $64.99 to use Mac with my Windows 4 1Password?
    As I said in a earlier post I am not opposed to a subscription but I need for the 1Password to revert to standalone mode if Agilebits were no longer available.

The standalone version of 1Password for Windows (version 4) is no longer being developed or sold, but it wouldn't be possible to purchase Windows software through the Mac App Store anyway. And if AgileBits ceases to exist, you should really use another solution that's still being actively developed and supported anyway.

• Ben, I have the windows license. I am looking for the Mac license and was checking if the discount was still available., From one of your answers if Agilebits' servers went away I could only use 1Password in trial mode which agrees with my concern. In another answer you tell me you access your data while traveling, is it in trial mode as you can't contact Agilebits' servers?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

From one of your answers if Agilebits' servers went away I could only use 1Password in trial mode which agrees with my concern.

No. Once you've logged in to the app once you're set, it wouldn't revert to trial mode.

In another answer you tell me you access your data while traveling, is it in trial mode as you can't contact Agilebits' servers?

No.

I am looking for the Mac license and was checking if the discount was still available.

We are no longer offering a discount on licenses.

Ben

• Ben, Thank you for taking the time to completely answer my questions and concerns.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• I just wanted to check if it's still possible to get standalone licenses, and I'd like to throw in my 2cts:

First off, I'm totally o.k. with AgileBits focusing on what's best for them and the majority of their customers; and I know from personal experience that it's not a good idea to try to be everything to everyone. Whoever isn't happy with the current offer can still choose from several alternatives.

I'm content if the "standalone" features are supported until the next major version (at which point I got my money's worth out of the licenses, and would have to decide on an upgrade anyway).

I have no security concern with the cloud sync. All security reviews have shown that it's much, much easier to attack the browser integration, or the app itself, than to try to break the encryption on the file. If you are really concerned about that, you should probably go for a 100% open source solution, and forego browser integration and sync features. But this is not something that makes sense for most "average" users...

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback, @averell23. Please email us at [email protected] if you'd like to discuss other options. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• My 2cts: I have been using 1password for years and I'm really disappointed in this move to a subscription based model :( For the moment I'm glad that I can still use my several 1Password 4 installations in combination with my purchased iOS app, but I fear soon might come a point when compatibility with the iOS App will be broken or the old iOS App will no longer be updated to work with newer iOS versions or something similar which would then essentially force me to switch to a completely different password management solution after so many years as switching to a subscription based model is out of the question for me.

Anyway, would you please also send me the link to purchase a single mac license, thank you very much!!

Best
    Nicolai

• I've been using the trial 1password for Mac and would like to purchase the standalone version. Is that still available? I don't like subscriptions. Thanks!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@shinidore: As mentioned previously, we're no longer marketing the standalone version. A 1Password.com membership is just better, as it includes access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. But if you'd like to discuss your particular situation further, just shoot us an email at [email protected]. Cheers! :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@nic: You've probably noticed that 1Password for iOS is still receiving updates. We don't have any plans to discontinue it. As you can imagine, all 1Password users with iPhones and iPads sort of need an app to use there, regardless of whether they paid for the standalone app or have a 1Password.com membership. You can continue using the versions you've paid for for as long as you have devices to run them on.

And as I mentioned above, we're no longer marketing the standalone version. A 1Password.com membership is just better, as it includes access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. Frankly, it sounds like you'd really benefit from this as you seem to want to be able to use 1Password on other platforms as well. If Just shoot us an email at [email protected]. Maybe there's something we can do to help. :)

• This is very bad news, and the very reason why we will leave your community! None of us like to be kept in a cage.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@angryclient: Well, that's just sort of nonsense. If you were kept in a cage, you couldn't leave. We want happy customers, not trapped ones. So while any licenses you've purchased will never expire and you can keep using 1Password as you have been, if your needs have changed and you'd prefer to use something else, you can always export your data. We'd rather you used a competitors' product than nothing at all. Stay safe out there.

This discussion has been closed.