Can I still buy standalone license for the 1password? [no longer being marketed]

Comments

• edited June 2017

@brenty you must understand that the moment you start forcing us all to pay you every month, you box us in to a financial commitment. This is no nonsense says the donkey to the horse, it just stinks! To buy a product and go, is what the client "me and other" wants. To refuse us that freedom is the Microsoft mentality. You can say what you will, you will loose the market share you have an you will be forced to return the the open-source mindset soon enough. Everyone move over to [removed] today they are the future! agile has clearly lost their way!

When big companies just move into a new direction that is clearly forcing you to pay them monthly, then they are making slaves of you. Why not give the above mentioned option, I mean buy a year or six months update access? no you force us to subscribe to a monthly payment because you want us in your cage. Yes we can leave your program, and yes we we will. But for those of use who have been using 1password since it inception this stinks!!!!

You have lost 50 users today my friend, since that is how many people I represent. Small number in the global scheme of things... sure. But what you don't realize is I am one of the few letting you know that this move is a mistake. Meany of my fiends just leave and you will never see them again. They don't forgive and they don't forget.

• @1password you just don't get it do you.... we don't like the direction you are going. As always your greed is killing your judgment!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited June 2017

Thanks for the feedback. Any time a company makes a shift there are going to be folks who don't want to shift with it. As much as we'd love to be able to we'll never be able to make everyone happy. We feel this is the best move for 1Password, and so far the majority of customers agree. I'm sorry if you do not. I'd hope, after using 1Password for such a long time and across such a large user base, you'd consider at least doing the free trial of the new offering before passing judgement. Before making a decision I'd think you'd want to see what value you get for your money -- afterall it sounds like 1Password has been providing good value to you all along.

If not, or if it doesn't meet your needs, then I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you. :)

If you have questions about the products/services we're offering please feel free to drop us an email to [email protected].

Thanks!

Ben

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@angryclient: I appreciate that some people are militantly opposed to subscriptions of any kind, regardless of the actual value they represent. That's fine. But I think you're overlooking the fact that you don't have to sign up for a 1Password.com membership if you don't want to. The choice is yours. Take care.

• Please send me a link on purchasing the Standalone License. I have read all the previous comments and this is the only way I would consider

• FrankFrank

Team Member
    edited June 2017

Hi mrgillies - I appreciate you reaching out to us over here. I'll be happy to continue the conversation with you via email. When you get a chance, reply back to me over there and I look forward to hearing back from you. :smile: Have a great day!

ref: CQR-94947-145

• I'm a long-time user and lover of 1PW. I'm agnostic about personal license vs subscription as long as there is security and value. With all due respect for the great company you have built, I am highly uncomfortable having AgileBits be the keeper of my most important information.

Consider the companies that go out of business, get purchased, etc. Consider the aspect of governmental agencies gaining access to these accounts by going to the service provider. Consider the number of times I read about hackers able to penetrate even the biggest of companies and gain a single password or identity and what they are able to do with that. Consider the number of times we read about major outages at some huge companies. So, from a security perspective it is not clear at all how you will overcome these in your subscription model as a "small" business (that is a compliment, not a disparagement).

As to value. If I could use 1PW as I do today for your single subscription price (and if I could get comfortable with your company security and technical security) I would consider the subscription. I am retired. Only my spouse and I use the software - although I did purchase the 5 family member license. The differential between the subscription pricing for single and family do not make sense in our situation.

Finally, on the subject of value, I subscribe to Photoshop, iTunes, and a couple of other services. In each case if there is an outage or data loss or hacker penetration - I am annoyed, perhaps a little inconvenienced, but I don't lose anything that I cannot immediately recover. If I surrender my 1PW vault and any of the possibilities occur - I am screwed! Subscription models work when there is little at stake. I have a whole lot of my private life in a 1PW vault. Even the financial institutions I deal with do not have the breadth of information about me that I store in a 1PW vault.

So, net-net. While I have long advocated for 1PW and have caused a dozen or more conversions to the software, I'm not likely to continue that practice. I am open to learning how you will combat the threats I've mentioned (probably there are a lot more).

As some others have requested, please re-consider your sales model. Perhaps in addition to your subscription service, an annual subscription for the continued use and maintenance of the stand-alone software license? (I really do want you to stay in business and make lots of money).

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I'm a long-time user and lover of 1PW. I'm agnostic about personal license vs subscription as long as there is security and value. With all due respect for the great company you have built, I am highly uncomfortable having AgileBits be the keeper of my most important information.

@KBB: Tell me about it! We are too. And that's why we never get the keys to your data, not even temporarily, only an encrypted blob. This is not only to protect you, but also us, as we don't ever want to be in a position where someone could use us to get to your data. :dizzy:

Consider the companies that go out of business, get purchased, etc. Consider the aspect of governmental agencies gaining access to these accounts by going to the service provider. Consider the number of times I read about hackers able to penetrate even the biggest of companies and gain a single password or identity and what they are able to do with that. Consider the number of times we read about major outages at some huge companies. So, from a security perspective it is not clear at all how you will overcome these in your subscription model as a "small" business (that is a compliment, not a disparagement).

Absolutely. These are all things we consider, not only when building 1Password, and now 1Password.com, but as we continue to develop both. There's a lot to unpack here, but the bottom line is that you and the rest of our awesome customers are our bottom line; our only business is 1Password, and our only revenue comes directly from the people paying us to use our products and services. We don't accept outside funding, we're not for sale, and we don't collect customer data or sell ads. What you see is what you get. Independence is really important to us, both as a matter of pride, but also as a matter of pragmatism, as we're not beholden to outsiders who can pressure us to do things that aren't right for 1Password or its users. The only people who have any say in what we do is us (we get to choose what we work on, and the care we put into it) and you (if people don't value our work, we go out of business).

As to value. If I could use 1PW as I do today for your single subscription price (and if I could get comfortable with your company security and technical security) I would consider the subscription. I am retired. Only my spouse and I use the software - although I did purchase the 5 family member license. The differential between the subscription pricing for single and family do not make sense in our situation.

While ultimately it's up to you, a 1Password Families plan is still more affordable than two individual accounts, and also makes secure sharing possible. Some couples probably share an individual account (though not everyone would be comfortable doing so), but I'd encourage you to shoot us an email at [email protected] and post the Support ID you receive here. We can explore the options and see if there's something else that might be a better fit. :)

Finally, on the subject of value, I subscribe to Photoshop, iTunes, and a couple of other services. In each case if there is an outage or data loss or hacker penetration - I am annoyed, perhaps a little inconvenienced, but I don't lose anything that I cannot immediately recover. If I surrender my 1PW vault and any of the possibilities occur - I am screwed! Subscription models work when there is little at stake. I have a whole lot of my private life in a 1PW vault. Even the financial institutions I deal with do not have the breadth of information about me that I store in a 1PW vault.

That's a fair point. But honestly if you're using the standalone version of 1Password, your chances of getting "screwed" are probably much higher. Not everyone has a full backup strategy in place (or any backup at all), but even those of us who do make mistakes...

Right now I'm thinking "I haven't tested my Time Machine, CrashPlan, or SuperDuper! backups for a while..." The chances of all three being bad are not good, but if this building burns down tomorrow, two of those (and the original copies of my data on my devices) are going to be an insurance write-off rather than tools for recovery. But I know that having my Emergency Kit in a separate safe location means that I can still get into my 1Password account within a matter of hours, even if everything else is wiped out completely.

Now, truth be told, that's not something most of us will have to face tomorrow. But the automatic offsite backup means that 1Password.com members don't have to worry about this. And this also enables another feature that is more likely to see regular use: item history.

Anyway, I'm pretty serious about backup, and you may be too; but it probably isn't something either of us can afford the time or money to be completely on top of that. And with 1Password.com, at least for our 1Password data, we don't have to.

So, net-net. While I have long advocated for 1PW and have caused a dozen or more conversions to the software, I'm not likely to continue that practice. I am open to learning how you will combat the threats I've mentioned (probably there are a lot more).

I've just touched on a few things here — the tip of the iceberg, really — so e sure to let me know if you have questions about any of this, or anything else.

As some others have requested, please re-consider your sales model. Perhaps in addition to your subscription service, an annual subscription for the continued use and maintenance of the stand-alone software license? (I really do want you to stay in business and make lots of money).

Honestly, if we could sustainably offer 1Password.com memberships for a(n affordable) one-time fee, we probably would. It's the best way to use 1Password, and we want everyone to use it. But not only are there ongoing costs associated with running servers, patching, improving, and continually adapting to the ever-changing security (and browser) landscape, people don't want 1Password to stand still; so this also allows us to sustainably develop and ship new features and improvements whenever they're ready.

That said, if you already get everything you need from the 1Password setup you've been using, don't feel like you need to pay us anything else just because you want to support us (though we appreciate the thought!) It's up to us to make 1Password.com memberships provide enough value to justify you giving us money for it, especially on an ongoing basis. So if the benefits 1Password.com has to offer you today aren't what you're looking for, let us know what you'd like to see us add in the future. Cheers! :)

• sisvasisva
    edited June 2017

It's very expensive the subscription model for users like me who lives in the 3rd world. The standalone license model is more affordable. What options do we have?

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited June 2017

@sisva: As with other technology (computers, smartphones, etc.), good software does cost money to not only develop and test, but also to use. A 1Password.com membership isn't more expensive unless we give away all of our upgrades for free, and we just can't sustainably do that. We offered early adopter pricing previously, and I'm sure we'll offer other promotions in the future as well.

You can keep up with AgileBits and 1Password news by following us on Facebook, Twitter, our blog, and our email newsletter. Nothing spammy, always just useful 1Password tips and announcements, such as sales. And if you'd like to discuss your particular situation, just shoot us an email at [email protected] and post the Support ID you receive here. Maybe there's something we can do to help. Cheers! :)

REF: LYQ-87426-851

• Wow, the move to force us to go with a subscription model is really weird, I'm definitely not trusting my passwords on a software that requires a subscription.

I don't want to loose my password if I loose my CC or online account or whatever, I don't want to ever think about it.

I guess I'll find an alternative...

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@analogue: While you're entitled to use something else if you choose, I'm not sure I follow your logic. 1Password only ever stores your data in encrypted form, and the "keys" to decrypt it are only ever in your control. So someone cannot steal your data (login credentials, credit cards, etc.) from us. We just don't have access to them. And with a 1Password.com account, even if you do not subscribe, you can access and export your data, just as you can using a trial of the standalone app. We never lock you out of your data. Only you have the power to do that. Hope that clears things up.

• https://agilebits.com/store

For those that want to buy it.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited June 2017

But anyone who does so should keep in mind the following:

Cheers! :)

• @schrino you can also get it from the Mac App Store, it's not like AgileBits is hiding it.

As @brenty said, much more advantages to the subscription.

• FrankFrank

Team Member
    edited June 2017

This is true :+1: Thanks Prime for the additional details about the Mac App Store.

• @analogue they aren't forcing you to do anything. If you currently own the stand alone, they still work, don't they? The subscription is for new customers. I'm an old customer and I switched, and couldn't be happier. Please do research on the subscription and don't just assume. Lots of info.

• FrankFrank

Team Member

I'm glad to hear you're happy with your decision, Prime :smile:

• If you currently own the stand alone, they still work, don't they?

@prime it's just a matter of time, without the subscription model I'm locked out of new versions. I just learned about it while wanting to see the price to upgrade my Windows version: Can't.

• FrankFrank

Team Member

Hi @analogue - If you prefer to continue rocking your standalone license, that's perfectly fine. We will continue to update the 1Password apps for both use cases. In fact, we just improved Dropbox and implemented their new API not too long ago. The only way your standalone license will stop working is due to OS upgrades. We still help customers rocking 1Password 3 on their Macs :smile: I do believe a 1Password membership offers a better experience but if you're happy with your current use case, we're happy.

• is there a way to provide me with the standalone trial version download please. I had to reinstall my pc. I understand the business model of the monthly subscription but all those principle go again the way I normally plan to use software, most of the time I buy a version and stick with it until it really need an update and that could be a couple of years.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@tiju: You could use the trial, but we are no longer selling 1Password for Windows version 4 licenses since it is not being actively developed. Given your intention to pay for an app and use it for years, I'm not sure I could recommend that today since it won't be receiving updates apart from critical fixes — which is why we've stopped selling it. It would really be better for a whole host of reasons (not the least of which to make sure you always have the latest version for your OS) to try a 1Password.com membership. Technology in general and especially security are not standing still, so neither is 1Password.

• I'm a huge fan of 1Password but I think what you're doing here is externalising responsibility for a bad business decision on startup. The license model was never going to work long term. Why not apologise for that miscalculation, offer those of us who bought licenses a grandfather deal, and move on. I'm inclined to stay with you no matter what, but I think of you as a bank now rather than a cool tech company.

Just sayin'. Best of luck with next steps in development of the product.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited June 2017

I'm a huge fan of 1Password but I think what you're doing here is externalising responsibility for a bad business decision on startup.

@DuncanGrey1930: I don't think so. There are certainly externalities that we have to take into consideration (OS, browser, known threats, etc.), but we take full responsibility for the decisions we make.

The license model was never going to work long term.

I'm not sure I understand your idea of "long term" then. 1Password has been around for 11 years, and roughly 10 of those were exclusively with the "license model". In technology terms, that's an eternity. If 1Password stood still, and we continued developing with a product which mainly power users were comfortable with, that's probably something we could continue for a long time though...

But more and more people are using computers in their everyday lives — whether that be PCs or Macs like you and I are perhaps more comfortable calling "computers", or the tiny computers, which are more powerful than anything that existed on desktops a decade ago, that vastly more people carry around in their pockets today. These people deserve security too, without having to sacrifice convenience to stay safe online. Add to that that many of our existing customers (and others who were interested but whose needs weren't met with the standalone model) were asking us to get rid of their license, sync, and sharing woes...and frankly a lot of power users have better things to do too than spend their afternoon configuring new devices for themselves and/or family and friends. These are just some of the kinds of busywork that are no longer necessary with 1Password.com memberships.

So ultimately the only "problem" with the license model is that nowadays people overwhelmingly want things that are not sustainable that way. A really simple example of this is that power users have been asking for a powerful web interface to manage their data, and that's only possible with a hosted service...which at the very least has ongoing costs. There's more to it than that of course, but that encapsulates it well.

Why not apologise for that miscalculation, offer those of us who bought licenses a grandfather deal, and move on. I'm inclined to stay with you no matter what, but I think of you as a bank now rather than a cool tech company. Just sayin'. Best of luck with next steps in development of the product.

That doesn't make any sense. We'd essentially be apologizing for existing. If we'd done things differently a decade ago, 1Password wouldn't be around today. It would have flopped. The stuff we're doing now depends heavily on recent hardware, browser advancements, and security innovations which simply didn't exist back then. Just try decrypting an AgileKeychain vault on a G4 iMac today. It's eye-wateringly slow. Browser integration wasn't possible at first either, but I can't imagine 1Password without that now. And that's our old stuff. It would have been unusably slow at best and broken at worst, and many people — myself included — wouldn't have seen any benefit in using 1Password.

All of that iteration over time was necessary to get 1Password to where it is today, not least because it took the technology all that time to get to now. Anyway, it was the right thing for that time, and for many years following, for many, many reasons (not least of which that what we're doing now wasn't technically feasible in the past, and only is now because of things like WebCrypto and SRP).

Regarding a "grandfather deal", we've offered a number of promotions that you could have taken advantage of, especially when we launched the service. I'm sure we'll offer more in the future periodically as well, and I'd encourage you to reach out to us at [email protected] and post your Support ID here so we can explore options with you.

It's been quite a journey, and it's awesome that you've taken it with us and would like to continue to do so. And I'd love to talk to you more about all of the "cool tech" stuff we're doing even now. Not throwing complexity in the user's face is definitely a double-edged sword: on the one hand it makes 1Password accessible so that more people can secure their digital lives...but I can see how to a tech enthusiast it may seem less sexy. Definitely check out our security white paper for more of that. Cheers! ;)

• I was about to buy a standalone license for 1Password, but it looks like AgileBits is going in the wrong direction with a subscription model. What are the best alternatives? I will be using an alternative password manager on iOS and MacOS with dropbox or my own server for sync. Does anyone have experience exporting the 1P vault and importing it into another app?

Please don't reply with reasons why I should use the subscription model, that's been covered enough.

Thanks for any non-1P suggestions.

• ...And one more requirement: a password manager that doesn't use cloud sync servers controlled by the same company that writes the encryption software. 1Password is moving in that direction, as evidenced by the windows version not supporting dropbox or other 3d-party servers. "We really really really really care about security, trust us" is fine until a rogue or careless employee leaks or screws up. A number of other password managers make this mistake, one even got hacked. To me, it's an unnecessary risk.

• primeprime
    edited July 2017

@david321 a person would have to have you secret key and your master password. With the LastPass "hack", people were fine as long as they had a stong master password.

There is a blog on here somewhere and I was trying to find it @brenty, @Ben, or @Frank, you guys probably remember it. It was something how a hack isn't a hack or something? It explained what ACTUALLY happened and how LastPass didn't leak passwords or something.

Go to a Ford dealer and as what Toyotas are better...

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited July 2017

I'm sorry but this isn't the place to do that. :)

Does anyone have experience exporting the 1P vault and importing it into another app?

We have a guide that may be helpful here:

How to export data from 1Password - 1Password Support

"We really really really really care about security, trust us" is fine until a rogue or careless employee leaks or screws up. A number of other password managers make this mistake, one even got hacked. To me, it's an unnecessary risk.

The thing about our model is that you don't have to trust us. We don't hold any unencrypted data, and we never have the keys to decrypt the encrypted data that we do have. We've specifically designed the system such that a rogue employee or an attack against AgileBits would not be able to capture any unencrypted secret data.

That said, we can't be everything to everyone, and if you've decided 1Password is not the right solution for you I do hope that you are able to find one that meets your requirements that you can feel confident in.

Ben

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

@david321 As has been said many times in this thread, though the standalone version of 1PW is no longer MARKETED it is still SOLD. You just have to ask.

I can see why you might not want to risk a purchase, given the way 1PW is moving. But it is likely to last for several years, which is all that can be said of any program.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Good point. And no matter what, we're always here to support our customers, regardless of which version of 1Password. 1Password 3 has certainly had a long life, even if the OS and browsers have moved on. :)

This discussion has been closed.