Add Credit Card by Photo-Scan

Options
RyanPoirier
RyanPoirier
Community Member

I've been wondering why 1P iOS doesn't have the feature to add new CC/Gift card info via optically reading them, like Apple Pay can do. This feature would be fantastic! I'd be using it right this minute. (I have a gift card to jot down)

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: iOS 10.3 b7
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @RyanPoirier

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Not enough hours in the day my friend. :) Heh. But seriously this is pretty cool technology and something we'd certainly like to consider adding to a future revision. There is a pretty long list of things we might like to add, so I can't make any promises at this point, other than to say we'll add it to the list.

Thanks again!

Ben

• rossstokes
    rossstokes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    I agree with Ryan - this to me is a basic, fundamental feature. One of the reasons to have 1password is to digitally manage the plastic card creep. To manually enter each card is archaic in this age.

From a seamless user experience I had expected the first thing to pop up was a image and character recognition screen on my iPhone app. CLICK data populated and image stored!

I don't understand the logic for this not to be present? I do understand software development roadmaps and prioritising features.

My user response is, mmm ok... 1PW is ok for browser capture and storage but I know need alternative digital wallet for plastic card storage... eg gift cards, PPs, driver license, club cards, loyalty cards, and any other non bank related cards.

Is there anything planned on the development roadmap or should I look else where for this kind of seamless, easy to use, delighted user experience?
    Thanks
    Ross

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Agilebits's priority is their subscription service which does have the ability to capture photo images, although this may not be what you want to hear? I wish the 1Password for iOS App had the ability to capture images directly as well.

• Ben
    Options

@wkleem

That is actually different functionality than what Ross and others here are looking for. Folks here want to be able to hold a card up to the camera and have 1Password OCR the information off the card and create an item based on it, not store an image of the card (though that could be part of it in addition).

@rossstokes

Is there anything planned on the development roadmap or should I look else where for this kind of seamless, easy to use, delighted user experience?

It isn't currently on the roadmap. That isn't to say that it couldn't / wouldn't be added to the roadmap at any time, but it isn't there right now as far as I'm aware.

I don't understand the logic for this not to be present? I do understand software development roadmaps and prioritising features.

I think these are contradictory statements. ;)

We're a small company, and like to remain true to our name ("agile"), so we don't generally plan for a large number of versions in advance.

My user response is, mmm ok... 1PW is ok for browser capture and storage but I know need alternative digital wallet for plastic card storage... eg gift cards, PPs, driver license, club cards, loyalty cards, and any other non bank related cards.

If you want to store images of your cards, as wkleem mentioned, this is currently possible using a 1Password.com membership. I realize this isn't quite as nifty as having the card OCR'd, but it may work as a stopgap, and is what I currently do with my cards.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• RyanPoirier
    RyanPoirier
    Community Member
    Options

The only question I have is how to get the OCR feature towards the top of the iOS app To-Do list? :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2017
    Options

@RyanPoirier

Heh. If I knew that it'd be there. ;)

Ben

ref: OPI-2284

This discussion has been closed.