Software without installation?

Options

Hello,
In my company it is not allowed to install own software. Maybe is there a version without installation or maybe an app which I can install on an USB stick like http://portableapps.com/?
Thanks and Cheers!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Philipp,

Thanks for writing in.

Is this because you don't have admin rights to install apps? As of 1Password 6.4, it can be installed without having any admin rights. There will be a UAC dialog at the end of the setup but you can deny it and 1Password will still work. I'd suggest trying 1Password 6.4 and see if it works, you can find it here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

Technically, 1Password 6 doesn't need to be installed, you could copy its app folder to a USB stick and it can work without installing but you will need to edit its 1Password.json file to point to your 1Password data directory. See this post for more information.

We may look into storing a portable copy on our site if we get enough requests.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

It hasn't happened as far as I can tell. Will 1Password be made portable, i.e, be able to run from a USB Disk. If not, can the extension be made to run on a portable browser like Firefox Portable or Chrome Portable?

portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wkleem, I've moved your post in this thread as it is related.

1Password can be made portable if you want to do it, just copy the apps folder to the USB drive and edit the JSON file to point to the directory your 1Password data is in.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT Thank you for your response.
    I could install software without admin rights as well. But a colleague of mine, who installed some software on his company notebook, got a message after a while (maybe weeks or months) at systemstart, that there was found some not system compliant software on his system and he had to uninstall it.

• So one hand I think I could evade this maybe imminent risk with a portable app version. But maybe I should try to install 1Password and the only problem is maybe I have to uninstall it in a while again.
    • On the other hand I'm not sure how is it working with updates in the portable app case? If I have a portable app and there will be an update in the future => Will I get it automatically or have I update the app everytime with downloading and setup a new portable app version?

Thank you and Cheers!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Philipp,

That's a different story, we do install some registry keys (to your current account only, not computer-wide) for your 1Password extensions and it may cause that compliance issue.

But maybe I should try to install 1Password and the only problem is maybe I have to uninstall it in a while again.

It is up to you, you could always try this first and if you got that message, you can try the USB drive trick.

On the other hand I'm not sure how is it working with updates in the portable app case?

I would skip the updates and recreate the portable copy at home.

A portable version of 1Password 6 would mean no integration at all to avoid all registry calls (we need this for the 1Password browser extensions) and at this point, you technically have this via the 1Password.com web app as it is self contained there.

This discussion has been closed.