Thread Revival - 1 Click (or More) Password Changer

Options
mpvescio
mpvescio
Community Member

I've read a handful of threads dating back as far as 2011 on this forum which request a feature related to facilitating the whole password changing process. More and more databases and websites seem to be getting infiltrated and while 1Password is a very safe place to store our passwords - it seem's as though the websites and applications we're logging into are not.

Changing a password is tedious & complex (likely one of the barriers to launching this functionality) It often involves confirming a security question or actioning an email as a security measure. Simplifying this process would mean the world to many 1Password users.

While I've allowed 1P to auto-generate secure & random passwords for quite some time; upon checking my security audit, I'm quick to find that many of my passwords have not been updated in 12 months or more.

I'm posting this with the hope to receive a response of: "Hey Mike, you seem like a nice guy. Why don't you help us pull this feature together." or "Sorry bud -- we don't plan on doing this because of 'X' reason". I get it - agilebits is a business and you don't always have the ability to divulge what's in the pipeline but I need to change my passwords and I would be vexed to find out that this functionality is coming next week!

Best regards,
Mike

1Password Version: 6.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mpvescio,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your feedback & request! The first thing I wanted to mention is that if you need to change some of your passwords, it's best to do that now instead of waiting and hoping for a feature that makes it easier. (We won't be coming out with a feature like that next week, but even if we were, I would still say you shouldn't wait.)

A feature like that would definitely be handy, but it's not something we're currently working on. As you suspected, it would be extremely difficult to do something like that, and it wouldn't work with all websites. Web forms to change passwords work differently (and have different requirements) on just about every site, and the steps to find the form and initiate the change are even less consistent. We would need to create custom code for every single site, and even if we started with a list of top sites, we would need to update our code every time one of them makes a change to how its 'change password' process works.

That's not to say we'll never look into the possibility of adding a feature like this, but it's not currently feasible as it would take more time and resources than we currently have available, and is something that would only work with a small fraction of websites where customers might need to change passwords.

So, I'm afraid this is more of a "Sorry bud -- we don't plan on doing this because of 'X' reason" type of response. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! But at least you can change your passwords now and not have to worry about it becoming much easier next week. ;)

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us about that, we really appreciate it! If you have more suggestions, questions, or need help with 1Password, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• mpvescio
    mpvescio
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the detailed reply Drew -- Perhaps it's time to start negotiating SSO plugins for websites in order to make the login & password changing process even more seamless! Many app devs have already implemented it (ish) on iOS apps where I see the 1P logo!

Cheers to your weekend as well!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's certainly an interesting possibility. Thanks for the feedback on this. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.