To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Surprise! Your account is frozen.

Options
FogCityNative
FogCityNative
Community Member

Last year, you announced syncing on your site instead of Dropbox. This did not at the time seem to be attached to a monthly payment.

Later, you announced the Personal Plan and gave your long time customers 6 months free. Without a credit card. Not much mention at the time of pricing.

You started sending me e-mails in the last month that my "trial" was ending. I am thinking "What Trial? I have been a licensed customer for years.

Today, SURPRISE! My account is frozen and it all starts to make sense. The trial wasn't a trial. I was already convinced. The "Trial" was the free 6 months of a SUBSCRIPTION.

Now it is time for me to subscribe and of course, you never bothered to collect any payment data.

The piece you missed was the e-mail or pop-up EXPLAINING that my free 6 months of my SUBSCRIPTION was ending and if I wanted to keep using 1Password you needed my credit card data. But I never received such a vital message. Instead, I got the non-sensical "Your Trial is Ending".

I really don't mind paying you $36.00 a year. 1Password is a great product and rather than paying for upgrades or add-ons, $36 covers everything and gives you guys a predictable source of revenue. (Sadly, Software Subscriptions are the new normal. For occasional users of Adobe and Microsoft apps, it is expensive to subscribe. In earlier days, you bought the package and if it met your needs, you could use it forever without paying anything further. Those days appear to be over as the whole software system matures. IBM, Oracle, Salesforce and many others have always used subscriptions and per-seat licenses).

So, I have subscribed but it doesn't feel good to have my account frozen as if I am some deadbeat that doesn't pay his bills or someone whose check bounced.

Had you asked for my credit card data, I would have provided it. But you never asked. You just clobbered me over the head by freezing my account. I am not some new customer evaluating your product. That would be a "Trial". I was already a subscriber who was given a discount for my past loyalty and you chose not to collect my credit card data at that time.

Enough said. Treat subscribers differently than new users evaluating the software.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX Sierra
Sync Type: iPassword Vault
Referrer: forum-search:surprise your account is frozen

Comments

• Frank
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @FogCityNative - Thank you for reaching out to us and I appreciate the feedback you included. I can understand why the word "frozen" would carry negative feelings. We would never lock you out of being able to access your data. We even email you 4 days before your trial ends to make sure your account won’t freeze. We’re open to suggestions on alternative wording for “frozen”.

When your free trial comes to an end and your account is frozen, you can still access everything. You just won't be able to edit the data or access certain features. You can even migrate your data from within 1Password. I'm glad you enjoy using 1Password and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I will definitely make sure to mention this to the team and maybe we can come up with a better more friendly term. I'll be happy to share any suggestions you have :-) Again my apologies and we're always happy to listen and learn where we can improve. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.