Cannot Find License for Sale

Options

I cannot find the Windows license for sale. The program sends me to https://agilebits.com/store which does not list the Windows version.
I do not want to run the latest v6. My vault is in Dropbox and I am not interested in the cloud offering. I already have a 5 person license for the Mac version. Why can't I use that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @KnightOfNight,

Thanks for writing in.

We no longer sell licenses for 1Password 4 for Windows since we will not be offering new features for it, all new features will be going into 1Password 6 instead. For Windows, we now only offer 1Password.com memberships that includes 1Password 6 for Windows and all future versions at no extra cost.

Beside the cloud offering, is there a specific reason you do not wish to use 1Password 6?

Just to be clear, Dropbox is a cloud service, only we'd be more secure to use due to our use of Secret Keys and an integrated 1Password experience. In addition to an improved security system, we also take the complexity out of managing the sync and backups since it's built into the 1Password.com account you use. Plus, you get access to all 1Password apps and future versions at no extra cost. There are more benefits that you can find out here: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

• KnightOfNight
    KnightOfNight
    Community Member
    Options

As I said, I already have all my passwords in dropbox. I've been using that method for years, since 1P 3. I don't want my access to my passwords to be dependent on being able to login to a 3rd party service. Even if Dropbox is down and I can't sync with it, I still have a local copy of my passwords. Also as mentioned, I already have 5 licenses for the Mac version paid for, so I don't want to have to buy new licenses for everyone just to switch to your new cloud backend. Why do you even have version 4 for Windows available for Download if I can't buy a license for it? Moreover, why don't you offer a version 6 for Windows that syncs with Dropbox like v6 does on the Mac?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

@KnightOfNight: I'm sorry of the confusion. With 1Password.com, there is no 3rd party service. We run it ourselves and develop and maintain it alongside the apps. I know it isn't obvious, but you still have access to your data offline as well, since the apps cache the data locally for you. The only thing that won't work without an internet connection is the 1Password.com web interface...though I guess the browser extensions are less useful without internet as well...

Like all older versions of our apps, 1Password 4 is available for download for folks who've purchased it. For example, there are customers still using 1Password for Mac version 3 and 4 as well. So we don't have plans to remove the app for download. Local vault support isn't something we're working on currently though, as we're focused on 1Password.com since that's a much better and and more secure sync experience for most users. You and I are certainly comfortable managing this stuff ourselves, but the rest of my family isn't and I'd wager that goes for some of your loved ones as well.

And at the end of the day, making it easy for everyone to be more secure without having to learn about per-platform license terms or worry about losing data because something wasn't setup correctly has to be our priority. With 1Password.com, every user has automatic, secure offsite backup for their 1Password data with item history, and the ability for family and team members to help each other recover their accounts. We can't in good conscience recommend the old way of doing things, and it would similarly be inappropriate to continue to sell 1Password 4 under the circumstances. And as far as buying new licenses for multiple family members, you don't need to buy any with a 1Password Families membership, as they're all included.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

We no longer sell licenses for 1Password 4 for Windows since we will not be offering new features for it, all new features will be going into 1Password 6 instead. For Windows, we now only offer 1Password.com memberships that includes 1Password 6 for Windows and all future versions at no extra cost

Does this mean AgileBits (currently?) no longer sells licenses on the Windows platform?

While I converted to being a 1Password.com subscriber myself I'm rather disappointed if this is true, since I have seen several posts from AgileBits employees on this forum that state that the company would no longer market licenses, but still sell them to people that request them. Has this (silently?) changed now?

Is this temporary until 1Password 6 supports local vaults and 3rd party sync mechanisms? (which currently are not being worked on?)

Or did I misunderstand?

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @XIII,

You've understood it correctly, this is a new change and we're not selling 1Password 4 for Windows licenses anymore as it is not getting more updates beside security updates.

To be clear, we're not selling 1Password 4 for Windows licenses anymore but we will continue to sell 1Password 6 for Mac licenses as it is still being updated.

We're already retiring the support for third party sync services in the upcoming 1Password 6.5 for Windows update, we'll support read-only vaults as Folder Sync, just like in macOS version but we're not going to maintain the third party sync APIs. Instead you would need to have Dropbox/OneDrive providing the sync, like in 1Password 4 for Windows, and 1Password for Mac.

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @dahanbn,

Don't you use Amazon Web Services at least for backups?

Yes and for other purposes, not just for backups. They're not a third party service to our customers, our customers do not interact with Amazon. We own and manage the encrypted dataset that Amazon is hosting for us.

Just as Dropbox did in the past.

. With subscriptions it is totally different. You are only entitled to use the software if you have an active subscription.

Yes, and in this case, if you let the subscription lapse, you can still use 1Password apps and your 1Password data in the "frozen" state. You would need to reactivate to continue editing your data or if you don't want to do this, you'll have to export and choose a different product.

Currently there is a strong shift in the software market to go to subscriptions.

Unfortunately, that is true as the market continues to shift toward multiple devices with multiple OS platforms per user. As long as software continues to get more complex across platforms, the more maintenance it is going to require and given how fast the technology is shifting every year with different security issues, there has to be a sustainable business model and subscriptions is the latest trend that is working.

And as it seems you are doing the same and somehow pushing your customers towards that model as well.

The subscription funds the central servers that is simplifying a lot of the 1Password experience. We've gotten far more positive feedback from families and businesses that were able to get more people using 1Password just because of how simple 1Password.com is compared to the complexity of the local vaults + third party services.

Just to be clear, we're only killing the new sales of the 1Password 4 product. There is nothing that says we will not offer licenses for 1Password 6 for Windows in the future.

Everything is subject to change, of course.

• KnightOfNight
    KnightOfNight
    Community Member
    Options

So, just to confirm, if I want to run 1password on Windows, I have to use your new subscription service.

For the sake of argument, let's say I do that. How do I get my 1password data from Dropbox into your service?

• KnightOfNight
    KnightOfNight
    Community Member
    Options

Further, how do I access your subscription service using the Mac version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So, just to confirm, if I want to run 1password on Windows, I have to use your new subscription service.

@KnightOfNight: If you already purchased a 1Password for Windows license, it will continue to work and you can download the app any time. We're just not selling licenses for that anymore since all of our efforts on Windows are focused on the new app. But if you don't have a 1Password for Windows license already, then yes, a 1Password.com membership is what is available.

For the sake of argument, let's say I do that. How do I get my 1password data from Dropbox into your service?

Just follow the instructions in this guide to load your existing vault and copy your data over.

Further, how do I access your subscription service using the Mac version?

You simply login to your account in the app (or browser) to authorize it and access your data. And since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether, there's never anything more to setup. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.