1Password VERY slow to unlock

Options
sodiumpowered
sodiumpowered
Community Member

It appears that whenever I first start up 1Password, such as after a reboot, it takes a very long time to unlock. I've timed it at 1 minute 30 seconds, maybe sometimes a few seconds longer than that. If I open 1Password very soon after booting up, this delay occurs after the 5-10 second delay when the message "Connecting to 1Password mini..." pops up.

If I quit and immediately restart 1Password, it opens in an unlocked mode, even if I manually locked it on quitting it, but it shows 0 items in all vaults. After a long delay (probably the same 1:30 or so), during which time 1P mini is unresponsive, it shows the lock animation, then I can type my password, and then it unlocks within 3-5 seconds.

I've read another discussion about this (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/59811/1password-slow-to-unlock), but in that thread people were talking about delays like 5-10 seconds. My delay is always much longer, and this happens consistently for me. The suggestion to restart 1P mini doesn't seem to apply, because in many cases 1P mini has already just started. I've found that if I restart 1P mini (using Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini), it simply delays the unlock for another 1:30 or so.

System details are included below. I am using 1P for Families currently, but this problem has been happening for quite a while (months), going back to before I was using 1P for Families. I currently have 967 items in all vaults, which includes 2 local vaults, and about 10 vaults in the 1P for Families cloud. This only happens on OS X. The 1P for iOS app opens immediately.

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password slow to unlock

Comments

• bkheshti
    bkheshti
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same issue. Running 6.6.4 on 10.12.3 on a 2017 MBP. Unlocking takes 1-2 minutes and the general performance of the app is very slow.

• Good morning @sodiumpowered and @bkheshti,

I believe that the 3-5 second slowness issue is different than the 1-2 minutes one. So far most of the "really long" unlock times (which I'll classify as anything above 30 seconds) that I've seen I've been able to attribute to an issue with how we do watchtower lookups, or systems that very frequently broadcast notifications about changed filesystem events which ends up triggering sync during the unlock process. The latter's usually caused by Chrome Canary's update checker.

Can you tell me if you've got Watchtower enabled? If so, can you disable it for the sake of testing to see if this helps at all? And are you Chrome Canary users?

Thanks

Rick

• I'd also be curious to know if the slow unlock issue happens for you when you aren't running the 1Password main app at all and instead simply unlocking mini.

Rick

• bkheshti
    bkheshti
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rickfillion. I did have Watchtower on, but I turned it off and it didn't make any difference. Also the delay occurs with both the main app and mini. I am not a Chrome Canary user, I primarily use Safari. Also to note I created a support ticket (#NJC-86115-147) a week ago which I have yet to receive a reply to.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bkheshti,

Thanks for trying that! The OP mentioned the slow unlock problem happens after rebooting their Mac. If you reboot your Mac and then try to unlock 1Password, does that still take 1-2 minutes?

Also, if you open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini, then unlock it again, is there still a long delay? If not, does the problem come back the next time you need to unlock 1Password?

• bkheshti
    bkheshti
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG. Yes, if I reboot it still takes 1-2 minutes. If I restart 1Password mini there is still a long delay.

• sodiumpowered
    sodiumpowered
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion I have disabled Watchtower, will see if that helps. Also will check if 1P mini has the same delay.

I do not use Chrome Canary (or don't know what it is, I do have the regular Google Chrome installed).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bkheshti,

Thanks for confirming that. I'm going to check with our developers to see what they think. In the meantime, I also wanted to make sure I understand: Is this primarily just a problem when unlocking 1Password? You previously said the app runs slow in general, which I assume means that you're experiencing delays and/or slow behavior in 1Password even after unlocking it. I don't know if that's connected to the unlocking delay or if it's a coincidence. If the app is still behaving slowly after unlocking it, can you please elaborate on that and maybe give examples of what exactly is working slowly?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @sodiumpowered! We look forward to hearing if it helps to have Watchtower disabled, and if the same thing happens when trying to unlock mini (while the main app is closed). :)

• bkheshti
    bkheshti
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG An example of slowness when using the app is if I am flipping through entries the metadata in the entry takes 2-3 seconds to update to reflect the highlighted password entry. Essentially there is a delay when selecting and item and then 2-3 seconds for the view to reflect what has been selected. This is on MBP Touchbar with 2.6ghz i7 with 16gb of RAM. Not having performance issues with any other apps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @bkheshti! So, when you click on one of your items in the main 1Password app, you don't see any of the item details in the right side of the window for a few seconds?

Do you happen to use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your MacBook Pro? If so, and if you disable the Touch ID option from 1Password > Preferences > Security, does that seem to make any difference in the unlock speed or in the app in general? (It's a bit of a long shot, but if that makes a difference, it will tell us a lot about what's causing this.)

• bkheshti
    bkheshti
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG Yes, I have until now only used Touch ID to unlock. Unlocking via typing in my password is significantly faster, only the 2-3 second delay. The massive unlock delay seems to only be when I use Touch ID to unlock. That said, even when typing the password in, the performance when switching between records in the app is still very slow.

• sodiumpowered
    sodiumpowered
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG It appears after multiple tests that disabling Watchtower has no effect. Also, unlocking directly from 1P mini (with the main app closed) also has more-or-less the same delay. The first time I tried, it seemed to open somewhat faster, at 40 seconds, but on a second attempt it was 1 min, 26 seconds.

• rudy
    Options

@sodiumpowered,

are you currently using the Webstore version of 1Password? we've made some improvements in our latest beta version that we think will improve unlock times for certain situations. If you're able to run the beta version we'd greatly appreciate confirmation if the improvements help your particular configuration.

Rudy

• bkheshti
    bkheshti
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy @Drew_AG Enabled beta and installed, unlocking via Touch ID is now taking about 28 seconds. Obviously an improvement, but still a bit frustrating. A #firstworldproblem no doubt, but I would love for it to be back down to 3-4 seconds if possible.

• rudy
    Options

@bkheshti,

That's a nice improvement there. We're still working through and identifying other areas to improve the unlock time so that you're able to consistently still see slow unlock means that you're in a prime position help us identify those other spots we can improve.

If you're able to, we'd love to get a sample of what 1Password is doing during those 28 seconds. If you launch Activity Monitor.app and select 1Password mini, then switch over to 1Password and start the unlock, and while its processing switch back to activity monitor and click the Gear button and choose Sample process. Then reset and do the same thing for 1Password 6. This should produce two reports of what 1Password is doing which will hopefully give us more things to go after in the goal of getting that unlock time back down to a reasonable time.

Rudy

• sodiumpowered
    sodiumpowered
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy I am using the regular download version of 1Password, not the Mac App Store version. I've installed the beta, will test.

• sodiumpowered
    sodiumpowered
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy With the latest beta version (6.7.BETA-3) installed, the unlock time has been reduced to 52 seconds.

I was able to sample both 1P and 1P mini during the same unlock process. Here are the links:

1Password mini:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ty2wttomk8b10r/Sample of 1Password mini 2017-04-03-20-37-20.txt?dl=0

1Password:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nc57xqm8jgy8o5/Sample of 1Password 6 2017-04-03-20-37-09.txt?dl=0

• rudy
    Options

@sodiumpowered,

thanks! i have those files now.

Rudy

• MrCoBalt
    MrCoBalt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having pretty much this exact same extreme slowdown issue:

• 1P 6.6.4 (664001) [web store/direct purchase version]
    • MacPro4,1 (so no TouchID!)
    • Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F2109)
    • One primary .opvault sync'd to Dropbox
    • Teams account with ~66 team vaults linked in

Across all these vaults there are ~2191 various items and after having quit everything 1P related and then relaunched, during the initial unlock of the main app/1P Mini I'm seeing long delays (45+ seconds), and 100%+ CPU usage by both 1P and 1P Mini even with Watchtower disabled for testing.

Even once the app unlocks I get extremely slow performance switching between vaults, items, etc. coupled with occasional 100%+ CPU usage too.

I'm throwing Activity Monitor samples into here currently and can grab more as desired: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xc2olek7aqay3xu/AABmhrGdnzRWWetV0RNBVLPua?dl=0

Next I'm going to grab 6.7.BETA-3 and see how it does…

PS - In the Activity Log in our Teams account I'm seeing a ton of "updated a device" logs that seem to correspond (at least for my account) with times when I quit, relaunched, then unlocked the app… I'm not installing "device updates" every day, that's for sure, so perhaps this is related and/or just a misleading log message?

• MrCoBalt
    MrCoBalt
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, just updated and did some testing: 6.7.BETA-3 is far, far quicker and more responsive for me. Still spikes the CPU to 100+ on unlock but that process completes in ~10 seconds and actually lets me browse through items and vaults in a speedy manner. w00t!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @MrCoBalt, I'm glad it's working much faster for you in the beta! I suspect the CPU spike and ~10 second delay when unlocking 1Password might be expected behavior due to accessing so many vaults (~66), but I'll ping @rudy in case he thinks it's still a problem and would like to investigate further.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

• digm
    digm
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue with version 6.6.4 (664002) from the App Store and about 50 vaults. The delay when using Touch ID is somewhere between 5-10 seconds.

• Jacob
    Options

@digm I'm sorry about that. We've fixed this issue in a recent beta of 1Password for Mac, and that'll be rolling out as soon as we're finished testing things. Since you're on the App Store version, I'd recommend waiting for the update, but you can also use the beta in the meantime if you want to speed things up. Hope this helps!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @digm,

I'm having the same issue with version 6.6.4 (664002) from the App Store and about 50 vaults.

Since you're running the version of 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store (MAS), my suggestion would be to stick with it rather than switching over to the website version and using beta builds. Sometimes it can be confusing to choose which 1Password data to use when switching between MAS and website versions, especially if it's not all being stored in a 1Password account.

• spnyc
    spnyc
    Community Member
    Options

I also periodically have this problem where it takes several minutes to unlock. Today was almost 10 minutes long. I had a few things going on but both 1Pmini and regular 1P both unlocked within seconds of these two processes finishing: iTunes downloading ~30 app updates AND Dropbox finishing it's photo import. Not sure if there's something there but figured it was worth mentioning

• Hi @spnyc,

Can you confirm that you're using version 6.7 or higher of 1Password for Mac? Big improvements went into that build, but if there are others that need to be chased down we'll be happy to investigate.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.