1Password Mini not filling Safari [Solved]

JasonN
JasonN
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi there,

When I open a link from the menu bar, the correct page loads but the credentials will not fill in.

Can anyone advise me?

AgileBits Update: A solution has been found for this problem. Please click the Proven Solution badge to view it.

Kind Regards

1Password Version: 6.6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JasonN,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sorry for the trouble with the credentials not filling in, I'm Matt :-) Hopefully I can help.

May I ask if this happens to all pages you've tried or just one particular web page? If you have an example web page, could you provide the URL for the log in page so I could try it out and see if I can reproduce?

Hopefully we can get this to work for you.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• JasonN
    JasonN
    Community Member

Hi there,

It happens with all pages.

Here is an example.

https://forums.applenova.com

Kind Regards

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @JasonN,

Thanks for the quick reply - I've just tried this out and can confirm that it should work. Let's see where the issue might be for your setup.

You mentioned earlier that the right web page will open but it just won't fill in the credentials. Based on that, it sounds like the website field of the Login item is correctly set to https://forums.applenova.com/.

I'm wondering if you go to the website in Safari and then click on the 1Password extension button in Safari, do you see the Login item appear?

If you do see the right Login item appear, try clicking on it. Does it fill in the credentials?

Just as aside, in your initial post, you mentioned using version 6.6.3 of 1Password for Mac. You should be able to update 1Password to 6.6.4. This shouldn't affect filling, but it would be good to be up to date.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• JasonN
    JasonN
    Community Member

Hi Matthew,

I don't use the Safari extension as I heard (I can't remember where) that it wasn't very secure and that credentials could get passed. When I was using it, I remember that it did fill correctly.

Kind Regards

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

Hey @JasonN,

Ah - that would explain what's going on. The 1Password browser extension is neccessary for all kinds of web form filling to work. The extension is passed the credentials from the 1Password app and then injects them into the correct locations on the web pages that you wish to fill.

While we are always want to improve our security, we are confident in the security of our 1Password extension - I won't go into all the security background about how it's secured but we do have a great article in the support area of our website that describes how the communication between the 1Password Mini and 1Password browser extension is secured if you'd like to check it out.

We also offer a cash bounty of up to $100,000 to anyone who can break our security. We have a great blog post going into why we did this - the starting few lines capture it well:

We believe that we’ve designed and built an extremely secure password management system. We wouldn’t be offering it to people otherwise. But we know that we – like everyone else – may have blind spots. That is why we very much encourage outside researchers to hunt for security bugs. Today we are upping that encouragement by raising the top reward in our bug bounty program.

Hopefully the above details provide confidence in the security of our extension and of our security offering as a whole. If you have any questions or would like more information just ask, we'd be very happy to answer any other questions.

Proven Solution:

Getting back to the issue at hand to get that web form to fill in, you should just need to install the 1Password browser extension and once you authorize it, things will work as you expect :chuffed:

Please let us know how it turns out.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.