temporary access to another vault without merging it with my own?

pixel41
pixel41
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

We let someone go in our company. He used 1Password 4 for company purposes (which I don't think is the version online because he had his vault in DropBox). He gave us access to the vault and allowed us to change the Master Password so that we could have access to all of the work passwords he had, but we currently have to log into his laptop to access them.

Is there a way I can set up my own 1Password 4 to have temporary access to his vault? I have his password. I just don't want all of his passwords to merge into my passwords. I know that Team 1Password may do something like this, but this seems unnecessary since we only need access to it temporarily.

If by chance I am able to connect to his vault and the passwords merge into mine, will they be removed once I disconnect from his vault?

Thanks

1Password Version: 4.6
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
_Sync Type: DropBox
_Referrer
: forum-search:access a temporary vault

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello there @pixel41,

Thank you for contacting us!

It is possible to open a second local vault in 1Password 4 on Windows if it is shared with you. To do so:

1) Open and unlock 1Password 4 on your PC.
    2) Go to File > Open 1Password Vault...,browse for the vault that was shared with you, and click OK.
    3) Enter Master Password and click OK.

It should not be merged with your existing one. After that you can switch between two local vaults on your PC by going to File > Reopen 1Password Vault or by pressing Ctrl+1, Ctrl+3, etc.

Let me know if it helps. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• pixel41
    pixel41
    Community Member

This works perfect! Thank you!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Greg, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.