To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New 1Password.com Account/Migration

Knocka
Knocka
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years. It is installed on several Macs, an iPhone and an iPad. I synch using Dropbox. I did not, until today, have an account on 1password.com.

When I created a 1password.com account, it wanted a Master Password. But, the one I use on all my devices was too short. So, I used a different one. That's as far as I've gone.

A few questions:
1. What do I have to do now? If I want to use 1Password.com, do I have to change my Master password on devices?

1. What is the benefit of using 1password.com vs. Dropbox to sync?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Knocka: First of all, I'm glad to hear that you've strengthened your Master Password! And since both it and your Secret Key are used to encrypt your 1Password.com data, you're even more secure than you'd be just by changing it. :sunglasses:

What do I have to do now? If I want to use 1Password.com, do I have to change my Master password on devices?

If you've already migrated all of your data from the local vault(s) you were syncing with Dropbox, it would be best to start over on each device with only your 1Password.com account. Just login to 1Password.com first to verify that you have everything there. Then setup 1Password with your account on each device and you're good to go!

What is the benefit of using 1password.com vs. Dropbox to sync?

As far as sync, it's only a single step when you setup a new device: you simply login to your 1Password.com account to access your data. But 1Password.com is much more than sync. It automatically backs up your data offsite, and that includes item history, so you can restore previous versions of an item if you make a mistake. Either way, you never have to worry about losing your 1Password.com data just because your device is lost, stolen, destroyed, or you simply upgrade to a new one. And since your data is encrypted on your device and the keys are never transmitted, only you ever have access to it.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Knocka
    Knocka
    Community Member

You said: If you've already migrated all of your data from the local vault(s) you were syncing with Dropbox, it would be best to start over on each device with only your 1Password.com account.

I have not migrated all data. How do I do that?

• Hi @Knocka - Thank you for clarifying :wink: So let's get the migration party started. I will include steps below on how to migrate your existing 1Password data from your Primary vault over to your new Personal vault.

Make sure to only do this from one device and make sure your account has already been added -

Open & unlock 1Password on your Mac > Click 1Password in the menu bar, choose "Switch to Vault" and select your Primary vault from the list > Select all of the items by pressing Command-A after clicking one of the items in the list > Click Item in the menu bar, choose Share > Personal > Move. You can also follow along with this guide, just in case -

https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/#to-move-items-in-the-apps

Let us know if this helps or if you have any additional questions. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.