To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password 3 Macbook - iPhone 7 app - 1Password Personal account - How to Sync all?

Options
lightcam
lightcam
Community Member

I have 1Password 3 on my Macbook Pro and on my iPhone 7

I've been having some issues recently with browser extensions not working, IOS app crashing.

So I decided to join 1Password with a Personal account, hoping to avoid future problems.

How do I sync up my 1Password data onto my online personal account? The tutorials don't make sense... I basically want all data synced across my devices.

All data is backed up on dropbox

Needless to say, I don't want to lose years of data (passwords and logins).

Can someone help please?

Thanks
Mark

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lightcam: While I'm glad to hear that you're considering a 1Password.com membership, I can't promise you that your problems will go away as a result. However, no matter what you decide on, we're here to help, so I'm glad you reached out!

It sounds like you're having a few issues, but certainly having the latest version of 1Password (which is included with your membership) on each device will help ensure compatibility. That in itself may help you avoid crashes. And with 1Password.com, anything stored there is backed up automatically, so you'll never have to worry about losing data again, no matter what happens to your devices.

So I think that since you haven't migrated yet, we really need to start with backup, and then go through to get everything setup. Just follow these steps:

1. Backup your 1Password data on each device (on your Mac running the old version, simply copying your AgileKeychain somewhere safe will be simplest — Dropbox is not a backup)
    2. Install the latest version of 1Password for Mac, but don't do anything with it yet
    3. Determine where you have all of your 1Password data. If all of your devices have the same data already, great! All you need to do is open 1Password 6 on your Mac and tell it to use your existing vault from 1Password 3 (if it doesn't automatically load it)
    4. Then follow our guide to migrate your data on your Mac to your 1Password.com account, and remove the Primary local vault
    5. Login to your account on 1Password.com and verify that all of your data is there
    6. Start over with the latest version of 1Password on your other devices (note: you should be starting out fresh on each of these so you don't migrate the same data multiple times)
    7. Setup 1Password on each of your devices with your 1Password.com account to access your data

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• lightcam
    lightcam
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help.

I downloaded 1Password 6 but can't find it on my Mac.
    I can see my current version (1Password 3) in applications, but v6 has mysteriously disappeared.

Any suggestions?

• lightcam
    lightcam
    Community Member
    Options

I successfully synced to my account and now have 1Password 6 on my laptop and iPhone... thanks very much.

I now nervously want to delete the old version from my laptop.

• Jacob
    Options

@lightcam Glad to hear you got things sorted with the upgrade! :) You should be all set to remove the old version from your laptop if your data is in 1Password 6. Just open 1Password 6 and make sure everything is there, then move 1Password 3 to the Trash, reboot your computer, and empty the Trash. Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.