To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

License and WLAN

Options
mac2025
mac2025
Community Member

I purchased 1Password off the Apple App Store for my Mac in 2014. I would like to sync to my android using WLAN. Do I have to purchase the Subscription package to do this (and download the android app)?

Great software. Thanks Dan

1Password Version: Most recent
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Most Recent
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mac2025: Thanks for reaching out. I'm glad you asked! I'll try to explain this as best I can, but please let me know if any of this is unclear. The short answer is that you can use WLAN Server to sync local vaults via Wi-Fi with 1Password for Mac, even if you're a 1Password.com subscriber. However, it isn't something I'd recommend. Only 1Password.com vaults have the benefit of the Secret Key strengthening the encryption.

And honestly, a big reason that 1Password.com exists in the first place (though it has many other features and benefits now too) is to offer easy, zero-config sync for 1Password users. Typically the comparison is to Dropbox or iCloud, as those are also cloud sync services, and are more popular than WLAN Server due to convenience and ease of use.

But in each of these cases, when things aren't syncing as expected, there's very little we can do to help. This is painful for us because it's painful for our customers. So we built 1Password.com from the ground up to be an efficient, secure way to keep 1Password data up to date across any number of platforms and devices. Having trouble with Dropbox/iCloud? We don't own/operate those services and have very little insight into how they work and where things go wrong. WLAN Server not working? While this is a feature we built and maintain ourselves, it's fairly simple, so nearly 100% of the issues that users have experienced with it over the years in aggregate are specific to their network environment, which we also have no control over (e.g. firewall, proxy, antivirus, router, driver, and yes, even incorrect system time).

So while you could use a 1Password.com membership solely to get access to all of the apps, and then sync your own data, you're really making more work for yourself than is necessary, and foregoing a huge benefit of the service. Close to 100% of the time, 1Password.com just works. And with 1Password.com, if something breaks (barring network restrictions imposed on the user), we can find out why and fix it.

This is obviously a really important feature for the vast majority of 1Password users, but the only reason we can be comfortable offering it and recommending it in the first place is because of its security. With 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since Your Secret Key (F.K.A. Account Key) is created locally, your Master Password is only known by you, and neither is ever transmitted, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data. Even if an attacker compromises our servers, they don't have the means to decrypt it. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and please don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have! :)

This discussion has been closed.