Spouses version of 1Password is read-only. Family sharing not working

Options
kurtjeckert
kurtjeckert
Community Member

I purchased 1Password in October of 2014. My wife has also been running it for quite a while via family sharing. Recently her version of 1Password became unstable so I deleted her install and downloaded the latest version from the App Store. Now her copy is read-only and it is asking her to purchase a license.

1Password is still listed in the store as supporting family sharing so I expected it to continue to work. Is there something I need to do to make her copy work?

Comments

• kurtjeckert
    kurtjeckert
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Version: 6.6.4
    iCloud syncing

• ag_kevin
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @kurtjeckert ,

Try this on your wife's computer:
    1. Quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.
    2. Delete the 1Password app.
    3. Open the Mac App Store app and click on the Purchased tab, but do not download 1Password just yet.
    4. In the upper left corner there should be a "Purchases" popup menu. Make sure you choose your name from this list, not "My Purchases".
    5. After the list refreshes, choose 1Password from the list there and download it.

What happened was your wife likely downloaded the new copy recently, she did it under her AppleID so it would be considered a new copy and doesn't have the purchase history that the one in your Purchases list does.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• simongnz
    simongnz
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I tried the suggested remedy but my wife's 1Password continues to show Read Only.

• Hi @simongnz,

Can you tell us when you purchased 1Password and from where? That should help us figure out why this is happening.

Thanks

Rick

• simongnz
    simongnz
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, from the App Store - Jan 4, 2015.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @simongnz,

Just to be clear, when you say "App Store", you're referring to the application on your Mac called "App Store", and not the app of the same name on an iOS device, right?

When you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store, did you do so under your own Apple ID? If so, and if your wife was previously using it on her Mac via Family Sharing, she may have recently downloaded the new copy under her own Apple ID. If so, that download wouldn’t have been connected to your purchase history. You/she should be able to correct this by following these exact steps on your wife’s Mac:

1. Open the main 1Password app, then hold down the control key and go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menu bar.
    2. Go to the Applications folder and drag 1Password.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    3. Empty the Trash, then reboot the Mac.
    4. Once the Mac restarts, launch the Mac App Store app and click on the Purchased tab, but do not download 1Password yet.
    5. In the upper left corner, click the "Purchases" popup menu and choose your own name from this list (not "My Purchases").
    6. After the list refreshes, find 1Password in the list and download it from there.

I think these are the same basic steps you followed on your wife's Mac before, but I wanted to have you try them again since something didn't work correctly the first time. If you try the above steps but 1Password still shows "read only" on her Mac, can you confirm that you were able to switch from her name to your own name on the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store?

• simongnz
    simongnz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes, the Mac App Store is the one I was referring to.

I tried those steps again and it still results in her copy of 1Password showing Read Only.

Yes, I was able to change the Purchased dropdown on her computer to show my name prior to clicking on Install for 1Password.

Thanks,

Simon

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming that, @simongnz. To make sure we understand, is this only affecting 1Password mini / browser extension? Or is the main 1Password app also in read-only mode? If you're not sure, please have your wife open and unlock the main 1Password app on her Mac and see if it allows her to add new items or edit existing ones. Thanks!

• simongnz
    simongnz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, it's the main 1Password app. It shows Read Only up near the top right.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @simongnz,

I think we might need to have you send us a diagnostics report from your wife's Mac, but first can you please check something:

• On your wife's Mac, launch the Mac App Store and click the Purchased tab at the top.
    • In the top left corner, click the "Purchases" popup menu and choose your own name from this list.
    • Find 1Password in the list of purchased apps.

What is the date shown next to 1Password in that list? Thanks in advance!

• simongnz
    simongnz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

The purchase date shows Jan 4, 2015.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @simongnz. To help us figure out what going on, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/77332/spouses-version-of-1password-is-read-only-family-sharing-not-working
    • Your forum username: simongnz

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• simongnz
    simongnz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG, Support ID #DJC-51834-518

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you, @simongnz! We received your Diagnostics Report, and someone will take a look and get back to you as soon as possible with more information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Hopefully we'll be able to get this all sorted out soon! :)

ref: DJC-51834-518

• kurtjeckert
    kurtjeckert
    Community Member
    Options

I finally got around to trying your suggestion. I completely removed 1Password from my wife's Mac, emptied trash, restarted and then reinstalled the app again after selecting my name from the dropdown. My copy of 1Password was purchased on October 24, 2014. I can send a diagnostic report if that will help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

@kurtjeckert: The Mac App Store won't recognize if you purchased 1Password from AgileBits. You'll need to install it from our website:

1Password downloads

"Read only mode" means you've installed 1Password from the Mac App Store using an Apple ID that hasn't purchased it there. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kurtjeckert
    kurtjeckert
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry about that. I was certain that I had repurchased 1Password through the app store so that was how I was attempting to reinstall on her machine. I reinstalled on her machine from the AgileBits download and it's working now.

• kurtjeckert
    kurtjeckert
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting, This is what I get when I do an "About 1Password" on my machine.

1Password
    Version 6.7 (670008)
    Mac App Store

Apparently I remembered correctly and did repurchase 1Password from the App Store. The install on her machine now shows that she is running the AgileBits Store version but it's functional and syncs via iCloud. One would think that I would be able to download the App Store version on her machine using my purchase and have it work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kurtjeckert: You may have "purchased" 1Password from the Mac App Store for free, which will leave you in read only mode without paying again. If you paid for the AgileBits Store version and you're seeing "Mac App Store" in the about box, it's best to drag it to the Trash, restart your Mac, and install a fresh copy from our site. That way you won't have to deal with any restrictions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.