Changed Master Password

Comments

• Jpker17
    Jpker17
    Community Member

I have the same probleme
    During my holidays I wanted to use 1 passepord on my iPad, problem with keyboard impossible to type the letter ç. I reinstall the apps using the same password, now my password no longer works on my computers. Have I permanently lost my files? I have file backups on my Mac but can not retrieve them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jpker17: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion since what you describe is very different than the other user's comments (since it sounds like you did knowingly make a change).

First and foremost, while I don't know what it's called, you can totally enter ç on the iOS keyboard. Just hold the c key until it pops up this and other alternatives. This also works on newer versions of macOS.

That said, we do recommend using only standard ASCII characters in the Master Password to avoid issues like this, since different platforms will treat characters that look the same to you and I differently under the hood. After all, 1Password isn't looking at or storing your Master Password; it's simply taking the input and trying to use it to decrypt the data.

If you have a backup of your 1Password data, that's great news! Can you tell me why you're having trouble restoring? Are you able to access your 1Password data on another device? Also, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did in the first place to end up in this situation. If you can explain the steps you took, that might help us help you come up with a solution.

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say exactly what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• Jpker17
    Jpker17
    Community Member

During my holidays, when i type ç I obtain c on my Ipad mini4 (10.2.1). I have reinstalled from Appstore: OK for ç but can not unlock, unrecognized password
    Back to my house: Cannot unlock on all my machines: iMac 27 "(10.12.3) and iMac 21" (10.12.3), iPad 2 (9.3.5)
    I followed your explanations and reinstalled IPasseword 6. Still impossible to unlock on all the machines. Currently if I reinstalle 1Pass the classic window open and ask me for my code, I cannot even retrieve a blank version to recreate my data.

• Jpker17
    Jpker17
    Community Member

I restart my computer on a old Clone, impossible to unlock !!!

• @jpker17,

have you tried typing just plain c instead of c+cedilla? we've seen some issues with accented characters when typed on different OS/keyboard configurations that can cause it to look like ç when typed, but be treated as a completely different character.

Rudy

• Jpker17
    Jpker17
    Community Member

I give up, how I erase everything and create a new vault

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jpker17,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with your master password! Before erasing your data and starting over, please make sure you've tried the suggestions in this support article in case they help: If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password

If nothing works and you need to start over, you can do that by following the steps here: How to erase your 1Password data and start over

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• Jpker17
    Jpker17
    Community Member

I clean App and :
    2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper
    ◊com.agilebits.onepassword-osx
    com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.safariextensioncompanion
    com.agilebits.onepassword4.safariextensioncompanion

After reinstalle, always the same probleme impossible to cerate a new vault, he ask me my passeword

I am going to Dashlane !!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jpker17: It sounds like you didn't follow Drew's suggestion to reset 1Password (Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data). And keep in mind that if you've installed multiple versions of 1Password that have their own data, you may need to do it for each of them. Just be sure you drag any extras to the Trash afterward. You really only need one copy of the app. Cheers! :)

• Jpker17
    Jpker17
    Community Member

I reinstalled everything but could not synchronize with iCloud. I switched to Dropbox and everything is OK 2 Mac et one iPad.
    Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jpker17: Ah, you're welcome! You didn't mention iCloud previously. If you have data stored there and would like to clear that as well, you can do so in 1Password for Mac Help > Reset iCloud Data, or 1Password for iOS Settings > Advanced > Erase iCloud Data. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.