Feature request: Hidden items

Options
TheDave
TheDave
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Howdy!

I'm doing some cleanup on my 1Password data. In part, I'm removing entries for companies that have ceased operations. One issue I've run into is that I have some accounts which I no longer want to see on a day to day basis, but I also don't want to lose.

An example of this is iTunes, for various reasons I had two iTunes accounts and have now consolidated. Yet, there are a few things (purchase receipts) that are permanently attached to the old account so I don't want to lose it. However, when I am signing in to Apple's site or looking for my account on iOS, I have multiple items in the list which requires a bit of brainpower to process.

Apple / iTunes is far from the only one where I have this problem.

I'd like to hide these old items (perhaps by a tag that is hidden from the main list and search by default), without losing them completely.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Oleksii
    Oleksii
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Dave,

I can say that we plan to add some tag-based functionality, however it might be not in that perspective you need.
    If you use 1Password v6, I can advice you just moving old item to the trash. It won't ever be erased completely, so don't worry about loosing you login information. Auto-login feature won't work for this item, but you always can copy-paste.

Best regards,
    Oleksii
    WinDev team

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

Deleting makes me nervous, can you imagine storing important documents that you need in the real world in a garbage bin alongside actual garbage?

More importantly though, I have a lot of crap already piling up in the trash, items that didn't work as expected and had to be re-created, or duplicates that were accidentally generated and later consolidated (sites like StackExchange where one set of credentials works on multiple domains and places, for example -- I eventually added all the hostnames to one entry rather than maintaining them separately)

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

If you're a 1Password "Cloud" user, you could create an "Archive" vault and move everything unneeded there. Then, you could untick this Archive vault in "Settings - Vaults - All Vaults - Vaults included in All Vaults.". At least this works in iOS.
    1Password 6 for Windows does not have this setting unfortunately.
    In 1Password 4 for Windows, there used to be a setting on a per-item basis called "Display in Web Browsers" which could be unticked, but that is not there in version 6 (yet?)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TheDave: You're right. Personally I just never empty my 1Password Trash. I've only ever needed to get something out of it once or twice, but it doesn't take up much space at all. Really this is a matter of preference though. If you're compulsively emptying the Trash (I do this in the OS all the time, even though strangely I don't in the app) then it might be risky.

When you say you "no longer want to see [them] on a day to day basis", do you mean only in the browser, or in the app as well?

Manaburner hit the nail on the head. While it isn't of much help today, we'll be bringing features like "Display in web browser" and hiding individual vaults from All Vaults. I think depending on your use case, one of these should get you the result you want. I'm just sorry it isn't something that's available now.

However, whether we're talking about a 1Password.com account or local vaults, creating a separate Archive vault at least makes it easy to select your main vault to filter out all of that stuff. Cheers! :)

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

Hiding a vault form all vaults across all platforms (Windows, web) would do the trick nicely, but it's tough to tell where development is going right now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TheDave: You can always use the beta to have a better idea of what we're working on currently, and I'll let the team know you're looking forward to these features in particular. Frankly, I am too. We have a release candidate for 6.5 out now (as of a few minutes ago), so we should have a new stable version out Soon™ too. Cheers! :)

ref: OPW6-432

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

Just installed the Windows RC a few moments ago myself. I run it on 2 of 3 machines right now. Just to to figure out how to weasel my way into the iOS beta next...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just installed the Windows RC a few moments ago myself. I run it on 2 of 3 machines right now.

@TheDave: Nice! Thanks for participating in the Windows beta! :chuffed:

Just to to figure out how to weasel my way into the iOS beta next...

Just check out this forum announcement for instructions:

Joining the 1Password for iOS Beta

Cheers! :)

• rr4242
    rr4242
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love this feature also:
    --> "Hiding a vault from all vaults across all platforms (Windows, web) would do the trick nicely"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! To be clear, we don't currently have plans to sync settings across devices (that's rather complex, and we have a lot more work to do), but we do have plans to bring this feature to the Windows app. Cheers! :)

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

For the most part I'd rather many/most settings not actively sync, I use my account on a number of different machines, some of which might have different use cases.

For example, I have a "private" Vault that I want easily available by default on my desktop, but not my laptop (I may use my laptop with other people around).

Although it might be interesting to explore a "copy settings" button, or perhaps a backup-settings and restore-settings functionality? Setting up a new installation could prompt to restore settings when joining its first 1Password.com account. This would have been great in 1Password 4 because of the number of settings that needed to be changed to make it functional for my needs, but 6 doesn't currently have much that needs to be changed from default, from my perspective.

I'd say that this would be very low priority on my personal wish list.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@TheDave,

We have 1Password.json stored in the app directory that you can copy to another computer, this is being used for enterprise deployments as well. We will document this later when we add more settings and to the file itself.

Export / Import 1Password settings might work but it will be limited to the specific platform it came from.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed that, I wasn't sure if distributing the json would be supported, but I wasn't going to let that stop me the next time I'm setting up a new machine.

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @TheDave,

It is, we wouldn't ship it if it wasn't. We just don't market it because it doesn't cover all settings yet, so it may not be very useful.

This discussion has been closed.