Current website filtering is very frustrating

Options
ofrm_dcb
ofrm_dcb
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Let's say I'm currently on a microsoft.com page and I want to open up the agilebits forums to provide some feedback. Ctrl-\ and all I get is microsoft's logins. I can't type "agile" to get the agile bits password to show.

This seems to be a recent change which means most of the time I'm getting blank lists of passwords unless I have a brand new web page. Driving me bananas and causing frustration rather than removing it.

1Password Version: 6.5.398d
Extension Version: 4.6.4.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password for Teams

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

@ofrm_dcb: We're in agreement 100%. I can't say exactly when we'll be able to improve this because there are a lot of things higher on our todo list, but as you can imagine we feel this same pain every day with our agilebits.com and 1password.com logins. While typing in "agile" gets me my forum login, it's halfway down a very, very long list. :lol:

Just to clarify, if you're at discussions.agilebits.com and click or press Ctrl \, 1Password will fill your login there if you only have one; if there's more, you'll be given a list to choose from. However, typing in the search field will show all results including that text. Same if you use Ctrl Alt \ to open 1Password mini. You can also use Alt 1 to view All Items if you're looking for a login for a different site.

I hope this helps clarify things. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ofrm_dcb
    ofrm_dcb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty

Not quite what I'm seeing.

"if you're at discussions.agilebits.com and click or press Ctrl \, 1Password will fill your login there if you only have one; " Yes

"if there's more, you'll be given a list to choose from. "

"However, typing in the search field will show all results including that text" If there is only one matching login, get nothing, no matter what is typed.

Ctrl Alt \ and Alt 1 I didn't know about so thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ctrl Alt \ and Alt 1 I didn't know about so thanks.

@ofrm_dcb: You're welcome! Glad that helps. :)

"However, typing in the search field will show all results including that text" If there is only one matching login, get nothing, no matter what is typed.

I'm not sure I understand. You're saying that 1Password doesn't do anything at all for you on websites where you have a single login saved? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance!

• ofrm_dcb
    ofrm_dcb
    Community Member
    Options

This prevents me from Ctrl-\, typing in a new name and jumping to the site. I have to open a new tab first. Now running 6.5.400d, same Chrome extension.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ofrm_dcb,

That's intentional. Ctrl + \ was never meant to open another site, it is meant to directly fill your 1Password data on the site you're on or if you have more than one item, you get 1Password mini with the matched Login items you can search to narrow down if you have a lot of items for the same site.

You have to use Ctrl + Alt + \ instead if you want to open another site.

We will add support for extending the search beyond the matched Login items, so you can open other sites even with Ctrl + \ in a future update.

• ofrm_dcb
    ofrm_dcb
    Community Member
    Options

I've always used CTRL + \ and it's worked fine. That's why I mentioned the change. Will adjust my muscle memory accordingly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No need to adjust. While Ctrl \ has always been the default shortcut for "fill login" (equivalent to clicking the 1Password button and selecting the login match for the site in order to fill it), if you have more than one login match for the site you'll be presented with that list instead so you can choose. And Ctrl Alt \ will always open 1Password mini if you just want to browse for something. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I do hope that 1Password will somehow find a way to get back to 1Password 4's method of login filtering? It made a lot of sense to do it that way but now in 1Password 6, what's being shown is a semi mess?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: As mentioned previously, while the app currently shows all logins matching the TLD, we'll be adding subdomain matching i the future to present the best results first. Cheers! :)

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to see that the 1P extension (specifically for Firefox in my case) would try to match on subdomain. This is my use case:

I have difference credentials for two domains: jira.mydomain.com:8443 and sub.mydomain.com. When I go to the jira domain and hit Ctrl+' (my shortcut for quick fill) I get a list of credentials containing both jira. and sub.mydomain.com. I then have to type jira to filter the results or choose the one i need with arrow keys.

I have made sure I don't have any duplicate credentials for the same domain, I've also cleared the stored url:s from ports. The jira domain is accessible only on a specific port (which I've put in the address field of the browser).

Reading this thread and other on the forum it seems to me that subdomain matching is not available in the Windows client. If it is available it is not working for me or I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks!

I'm running 1Password 6.5.401d, Firefox 53.0 on Windows 7. (Win7 is not by choice.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@henningklasen: Thanks for letting us know. While we definitely have plans to improve this, I do want to be clear about what that means. I should mention that port matching isn't a feature that 1Password is capable of, and we don't currently have plans for that. However, in 1Password for Mac, the browser extension will still show all matches for the TLD, but those matching the subdomain as well will be listed first. This isn't yet implemented in the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, but it's something we'll be adding in a future update. Cheers! :)

• henningklasen
    henningklasen
    Community Member
    Options

THanks! In my specific case I'm not asking for port matching, but rather strict subdomain matching. Since the jira server kicks me out every night I need to fill the credentials every day. Using Ctrl+' is a lot faster than Ctrl+' then type jira then enter. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@henningklasen: No problem! I understand completely. Just wanted to clarify how 1Password is designed to work, and what you can expect with future updates. :)

This discussion has been closed.