Crash when syncing with Dropbox

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password Crashes on iPad after login.

Comments

• engintonic
    engintonic
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem. The app crashes when trying to connect to Dropbox.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @engintonic

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

If you are experiencing crashes with 1Password for iOS, first please be sure you are using the latest version:

1Password 6 for iOS - iTunes App Store

If you are, and are still experiencing crashes, please send us the crash logs directly. Here are the steps you'll need to follow:

1. Plug your phone into your computer and sync it with iTunes.
    2. Switch to the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose "Go to Folder..."
    3. Paste the following into the window that pops up: ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/
    4. Select all the files that begin with 1Password and drag them to Mail in the Dock to create a new mail message.
    5. Send the email to support+forum@agilebits.com

With your email please include a link to this thread:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/77405/
    as well as your forum handle.

When you send the message you will get an automated reply from BitBot containing a Support ID. Please post the Support ID here so we can 'connect the dots.'

I hope that helps!

Ben

• engintonic
    engintonic
    Community Member
    Options

XTR-82726-862

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @engintonic! I had our developers look into these crash logs and this appears to be a crash that we are aware of. The difficulty is related to certain characters existing in the path to your keychain in Dropbox. The current workaround for this is to create a vault in 1Password for iOS. From the welcome screen scroll to the bottom and select the option to create a standalone vault. Use the same Master Password for this vault as you use for your keychain in Dropbox.

And then sync that empty vault with your existing vault in Dropbox:

Sync your 1Password data

For anyone else reading we hope to have this issue resolved in 1Password 6.7 for iOS.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• engintonic
    engintonic
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben.

The workaround has worked for my Primary Vault.
    But I have five more vaults. When I tried to sync them by using the usual way, that is:
    choose "Sync Additional Vault" command in the "Vaults" tab >
    Sync with Dropbox >
    choose the existing Dropbox account >
    choose a vault among the available ones >
    I am prompted to "enter the password for (vaultname).opvault in Dropbox" to continue...
    which I do, but get a "Incorrect Password" error message.

I am sure that I use the correct password because for me it is always the same as the Master Password
    as recommended by the app when creating a new vault...

So I need more help.

Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

@engintonic,

The Master Password for secondary vaults is not necessarily the same as the Master Password for the Primary vault. Additionally if you've changed the Primary vault Master Password that would not change any other vaults along with it.

Ben

• engintonic
    engintonic
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I am aware that "the 'Master Password' for secondary vaults is not necessarily the same as the Master Password for the Primary vault".

Please remember that when creating a secondary vault, Create New Vault window recommends:
    "If you don't intend to share this vault with anyone, we recommend using your Master Password instead of creating a new one."

As this fits my situation, I am pretty sure that I used the Master Password for the Primary vault when creating any subsequent vault.
    Also all the password hints presented in the iPad sync window confirm this (for me at least).

I understand that these passwords cannot be recovered, but I would like still note this as a "not normal" behavior in the sync process.

I would like also note that the "Master Password" terminology used for both the primary vault and secondary vaults seems rather confusing to me.

Regards.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @engintonic.

You can see if you know the correct Master Password for the secondary vault(s) by opening 1Password for Mac, switching to the vault you'd like to test:

and then opening 1Password > Preferences > Security. From there select the button to change the Master Password of the selected vault:

For both the old and new Master Password enter the password you believe to be the current correct password.

If you're correct, the process will succeed:

If you are not correct, then it will fail:

Ben

• engintonic
    engintonic
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben,

I already tried this. I agree that there is not a common sense explanation for the password change other than my involvement.

But I still cannot understand how I could change inadvertently all my four secondary vault passwords. Because there is no apparent reason for me to do it consciously. That's why I wanted to let you know...

I am not in a desperate situation. I will transfer my items to newly created vaults.

Thank you for your attention. 1Password is a great solution. I remember using it since 2009...

Best regards.

• Ben
    Options

But I still cannot understand how I could change inadvertently all my four secondary vault passwords.

My best guess would be that they weren't changed, but rather:

• You set them to the Master Password you were using for the Primary vault at the time, and then have since changed the Master Password for the Primary vault (so they no longer match) OR
    • You actually created one or more unique passwords for them when originally setting them up

Obviously I can't prove either of those theories, but in my opinion one of those scenarios seems more plausible than having changed the Master Password for all of the secondary vaults at some point.

I am not in a desperate situation. I will transfer my items to newly created vaults.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest if you got a failure on the above procedure. Excellent. :)

Thank you for your attention. 1Password is a great solution. I remember using it since 2009...

Thanks for the kind words! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.