Mac App Store version shows "Read Only"

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password Extension is in Read-only mode and I have bought a Family license..

Comments

• wfcperrine
    wfcperrine
    Community Member

I need help. I have been a customer so long- I can't remember when I bought. But I do have it in my purchases at Mac Appstore. Version 6.x

But now all oF a sudden everything is READ ONLY and Safari extensions isn't working. Very frustrated. What do i do. Did not have this problem till yesterday and things have been working fine for years

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wfcperrine,

Are you certain you paid for 1Password through the Mac App Store? The Mac App Store version of 1Password has been a free download since February, but will be in read-only mode unless one of the following conditions is met:

• You paid for the Mac App Store version of 1Password before it became free to download in February.
    • You download it for free but then make an in-app purchase to use 1Password as a standalone app.
    • You sign up for / sign into a 1Password.com subscription account.

If you paid for the Mac App Store version before it became free to download, it shouldn’t be in read-only mode - if it is, you might have downloaded it with a different Apple ID than the one you used to buy it. If you’ve only ever used the same Apple ID, then it sounds like you didn't buy it from the Mac App Store.

Did you perhaps buy a license for 1Password from our own AgileBits Store? If so, you were probably using the AgileBits Store version until recently, then switched to the Mac App Store version - but a license from the AgileBits Store won't work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. In that case, you would need to switch back to the AgileBits Store version by following the steps from my previous response.

Does that help? Please let us know if you have any questions about that. Thanks! :)

• wfcperrine
    wfcperrine
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Just to be clear. I do not want the subscription model. I want the same 1Password that I have been using for 5 years. So basically for some reason I downloaded the Mac Store version thinking I was getting something better. But from what I'm understanding from you- I need to delete that and ONLY use the app directly from Agile Bits website.

So assuming that - my only registration is under "[removed by AgileBits for privacy on our public forum]" which when it returns my license numbers to my email inbox show version 3.x - which is way old. Do those still work and are they still legit? I KNOW I have spent more money to get the more recent versions but I don't know how I did that. I've have had no problems until 2 days ago when everything went crazy.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wfcperrine,

Just to be clear. I do not want the subscription model. I want the same 1Password that I have been using for 5 years.

No problem at all! 1Password.com accounts are great and perhaps you'll consider trying one at some point, but I'm not trying to push you to switch. The reason I mentioned 1Password.com accounts is because I was describing the different ways the Mac App Store version of 1Password can be activated.

So basically for some reason I downloaded the Mac Store version thinking I was getting something better.

The Mac App Store version has all the same features as the AgileBits Store version. The differences are really just in how purchasing/licensing works.

But from what I'm understanding from you- I need to delete that and ONLY use the app directly from Agile Bits website.

Assuming you made your purchase from the AgileBits Store and not from the Mac App Store, then yes - a license from the AgileBits Store will only work with the AgileBits Store version of 1Password. (The Mac App Store doesn't allow for external licensing systems.) I'm sorry for any confusion!

...when it returns my license numbers to my email inbox show version 3.x...

That's what I've found as well: I searched our system for the email address from your forum account, and it looks like you have licenses for 1Password 2 and 3 for Mac, but not version 4/5/6. Would you have purchased an upgrade from the AgileBits Store under a different email address? If so, try submitting that other email address in the "I lost my license" section at the bottom of our support site.

Or is it possible you were previously using 1Password 3 for Mac before you recently downloaded the Mac App Store version?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@wfcperrine, one thing I meant to mention is that if you can't find information about a more recent purchase, you can send us an email to support+licenses@agilebits.com in case we need any information (like an email address, receipt, etc) that shouldn't be posted on these public forums. If you email us, please include a link to this forum discussion and your forum username so we can "connect the dots" when we see your message in our inbox.

• wfcperrine
    wfcperrine
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

ok- So it turns out i did purchase on the app store. I purged all 1passward apps from my MacBook air to start over.

i re-downloaded from app store. And this is what I see (attached). It says READ ONLY in upper right corner. (???)

Why read only when I have purchased the full app?

[screenshot removed by AgileBits for privacy on our public forum]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wfcperrine,

I split your posts into a new discussion since the original issue in the previous thread was resolved, and because it sounds like this situation is a little different from that one. I hope you don't mind! Also, thank you for the screenshot! However, it showed the main 1Password app window with some personal information, so we removed it (these forums are public, so anyone can see them).

So it turns out i did purchase on the app store.

Is that because 1Password is listed on the 'Purchased' tab in the Mac App Store? If so, that doesn't necessarily mean you paid for it. Even though it's a "Purchased" list, it also includes apps that you downloaded for free.

Please open the Mac App Store, go to the Purchased tab, and find 1Password on the list. What is the date shown next to 1Password there?

• wfcperrine
    wfcperrine
    Community Member

ok- i need help finding my credentials then. I have a zillion apps, logins and passwords. 1Password is the one app that kept everything humming for me. Now something happened and all I see is read-only on my MacBook Air. It works fine on my desktop and phone.

Please help me fix this. I can provide every email I have ever used and maybe you can look up for me. I honestly can't remember where I bought it. The Apple store purchases records are difficult to peruse in history list. Can you please help me

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wfcperrine: Yep! Just email us a copy of your receipt(s) as Drew mentioned earlier and we'll help you get everything sorted out. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.