Three different sync files, only two vaults

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Which 1Password.agilekeychain file to keep on Dropbox.

Comments

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member
    Options

I'm resurrecting this thread since the same problem haunts me. Unlike the OP, however, I didn't notice this until a password appeared to be missing from my iPhone---lo and behold, there are three files residing in my 1Password Dropbox folder now:

1. 1Password.agilekeychain (the original, I believe)
    2. 1Password.opvault (I assume, my "Primary" vault, created in later versions of 1P)
    3. Archived items.opvault (again, assuming this is the "Archived" vault I created in later versions of 1P)

The problem is that some passwords reside in #1...some in #2. How do I pare this down to just the Primary and Archived vaults without losing passwords that have landed in the older keychain bundle?

Creation dates are in line with recent changes Agile made to licensing, etc. (i.e., the passwords missing from one but not the other are current, not old, outdated passwords).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PaperQueen,

I hope you don't mind, but I've split your post into a separate thread so we can focus on this specific situation. Thanks for reaching out to us for help!

Just to make sure I understand: It sounds like you have 2 vaults in 1Password on your Mac, and 2 vaults in 1Password on your iPhone. The vaults on the Mac should be syncing with the vaults on the iPhone, so you should only have 2 sync files in Dropbox, but you discovered you have 3 sync files there. Also, at least one vault is not syncing correctly between your Mac and iPhone.

My guess is that one vault syncs correctly between Mac and iPhone, but the other vault isn't syncing because it points to a different Dropbox sync file on your Mac than on your iPhone. You can check that by following these steps:

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab and select your Primary vault on the left.
    • Confirm the Primary vault is set to sync with Dropbox, then check the file name and file path for the sync file.
    • Select your second vault (Archive?) on the left.
    • Confirm the second vault is set to sync with Dropbox, then check the file name and file path for the sync file.

On your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync.
    • Tap on the Primary vault, and confirm the 'Sync Service' is Dropbox.
    • Tap Sync Service and check the file name and file path for the sync file (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox).
    • Go back to Settings > Sync, tap on the second vault, and confirm the 'Sync Service' is Dropbox.
    • Tap Sync Service and check the file name and file path for the sync file (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox).

If one vault on one device is pointing to a different sync file than the corresponding vault on the other device, all you need to do is disable sync for that vault on one device, then re-enable sync for that vault and choose the same sync file as the other device.

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks!

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

Thanks for moving this into its own thread. Makes sense.

While checking Pref's on both the MBP and iPhone, something occurred to me---the latest 1P update (necessitating the differentiation between original Dropbox users and newer ones) happened while I was transitioning from an older MacBook Air, which had been my primary computer for years. A peek at that uncovered the source of the problem:

1. MBAir (the original laptop) syncs to the long-used 1Password.agilekeychain. The application contains two vaults--Primary and Archived Items.
    2. MBPro (newer laptop) syncs to two different bundles called (you guessed it) Primary and Archived Items.

All three are in the same Dropbox > 1Password folder.

I can easily redirect the older laptop (MBAir) to the newer 1Password.opvault, but...that means some of the passwords stored in the original 1Password.agilekeychain will be missing (that's what tipped me off to this disconnect to begin with).

Is there a way to merge the two without duplicating a zillion entries (or worse, losing any)?

(Currently, the phone points to both, since I needed passwords unique to each of them this week...which, of course, means a LOT of duplicate entries when I search for a password in iOS.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaperQueen: Depending on when and how you switched vaults (and how long you've been living two lives), you're probably going to end up with some duplicates. Unless you're incredibly lucky, that's just unavoidable. Just keep in mind that this isn't necessarily a bad thing; duplicates are better than losing data because something overwrote something else. We definitely don't want that. Your best option is to backup everything and then merge the data from both vaults:

1. Backup your 1Password data on each device
    2. Disable sync on each device
    3. Drag both "1Password" vaults (AgileKeychain and OPVault) to your desktop
    4. Setup Dropbox sync on your first Mac (doesn't matter which)
    5. Let Dropbox finish syncing the data
    6. Setup Dropbox sync on the second Mac, choosing the same new vault you just created on the first
    7. Tell 1Password to Merge the data, and then let is finish syncing

One way to help you sort through any duplicates is Security Audit in the sidebar. It can show you duplicate passwords, so it's easy to see if you have more than one of the same login. Just keep in mind that you may have made changes in one of them, so give them a once-over before deleting. But, worst case scenario, if you don't empty the Trash in 1Password for a bit, you can grab the deleted item if you find you've made a mistake. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty,

Thanks for the step-by-step directions. One piece of the puzzle that appears to be missing, however: When/how do I introduce the original AgileKeychain file into 1Pass after rebuilding the two Vault files? Step 4 allowed 1P to create new OPVaults (both Primary and Archived items), but we haven't accounted for unique files still lurking in the old keychain bundle.

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

There are, according to my iPhone, only eight entries' difference between the old keychain bundle and the newer Primary vault (of course, there's no way to know others aren't in one but not the other---this is simply a starting point). Is it possible to sort all files within a vault by creation date? By date of last edit? If yes, that might be one way for me to begin at least a tiny bit of untangling.

• rudy
    Options

@paperqueen,

You should definitely be able to sort by date of last edit. I would definitely suggest performing that untangling on your Mac rather than attempting it on iOS. The easiest way to wrangle getting that old keychain bundle involved is probably going to be to create a second (1Password menu -> New Vault…) and then on the Sync Tab in the preferences window select dropbox as the sync type and specifically select that agilekeychain file in the open dialog.

The sort by pop-up is just below the search 1Password field and it should allow you to sort by date modified, there is another section in that same menu that allows you to sort oldest first, or newest first.

Let us know if you have any questions along the way and we'll do our best to help you.

Rudy

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @rudy; that helped a lot. By adding the original bundle as a third vault, then sorting by creation date, I was able to quickly identify a number of newer passwords that needed to be moved into the Primary vault. :::whew!:::

I was surprised to see the vast majority of entries were duplicated between the old bundle and the newer Primary vault, created simultaneously with identical date stamps. My guess is that transitioning from an older version of 1P to a newer one (when vaults were introduced) marks that start of this "doubling up." Doesn't really matter now, but was an interesting head-scratcher at first.

Pretty sure I'm completely up to speed now. Thanks to you and @brenty for getting me through. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaperQueen: Awesome! Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted. Rudy and I are happy to help, but we couldn't have done it without you. ;)

Just to clarify, any time you copy/move data to a new vault, each item gets a new Universally Unique IDentifier (UUID). That's where you end up with extras in cases like this. But so long as you stick to a single copy of the same vault going forward, you won't have to worry about any of that. Cheers! :)

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member
    Options

Now that I've been able to merge the original standalone .agilekeychain and the newer .opvault, all of my folders have disappeared. I'm still a standalone user (i.e., not on the annual membership track)---shouldn't my folders still be in tact? They appear on the desktop version (MacBook Pro, Sierra OS), but not on either of my iOS devices.

A lot of work went into curating those folders...and they're used a lot as a result. Please help.

1Password Version: 6.5.4
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X 10.12.14 and iOS 10.3.1
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:The folders on my iPhone disappeared after the update. :::yikes!:::

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PaperQueen,

There are a few reasons you might not be seeing those folders in 1Password on your iOS devices, so I'm sure we can figure this out. Were you previously able to see those folders on your iOS devices? If so, please make sure you can see the 'Organize' tab in 1Password for iOS (which is where folders and tags are found in the iOS version of 1Password). If you don't see the Organize tab on iOS, the app isn't recognizing that you purchased the Pro features.

If you see the Organize tab, but it doesn't show your folders, open 1Password on your Mac and make sure they are regular folders. If they are Smart Folders (which have a small gear symbol on the folder icon), they won't appear in 1Password for iOS because Smart Folders are only supported in the Mac version.

Finally, if they are regular folders, but you aren't seeing them in the Organize tab in 1Password for iOS, you might be looking at the 'All Vaults' view (which shows tags but not folders). On each iOS device, open 1Password and go to the Organize tab, tap the vault icon in the top left corner of the screen, and choose a specific vault (like Primary). If that vault has folders, you should now see them listed on the Organize tab.

Does that help? Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• PaperQueen
    PaperQueen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Bingo! The solution was switching the view from "All Vaults" to my primary vault. Need to get used to this whole multi-vault thing, since it's not something I've used much in the past.

Thanks for the simple solution. Now...want to help fix my seriously messed up iTunes sync issues? :::wink wink:::

:)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Bingo! The solution was switching the view from "All Vaults" to my primary vault. Need to get used to this whole multi-vault thing, since it's not something I've used much in the past.

@PaperQueen: Ah, that's fantastic! If it helps, All Vaults will show you everything in 1Password at once. But of course sometimes it's helpful to select a single vault to manage its contents:

Using All Vaults

Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the simple solution. Now...want to help fix my seriously messed up iTunes sync issues? :::wink wink:::

Oh no! :scream:

In all seriousness, as soon as iOS became PC free in version 5, I stopped syncing with iTunes and never looked back. So I'm not sure that's something we can really help with. But if you have an Apple Store nearby, I've found them to be incredibly helpful. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.