1Password 6.5 does not let you add unsupported local vaults first, must sign in first.

Options
fatoink
fatoink
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I launched 1Password 6.5, it's now stuck at the signup screen. Does it not work with local file anymore?

1Password Version: 6.5.401
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: local file
Referrer: forum-search:stuck at signup

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @fatoink,

Thanks for writing in.

Did you update to 1Password 6.5 or is this a new install on a new computer? Updating to 1Password 6.5 should retain what you had before.

1Password 6 only supported local vaults as read-only and only for migrating the vault to your 1Password.com accounts. We're making changes to make this clear and so, yes, it is not going to let you add local vault first. You have to sign in first and then import the local vault into your 1Password.com account.

• fatoink
    fatoink
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Yes, I did an update from v6.3 if i remember correctly. I have the standalone license for 1Password 4, but as I'm using the Microsoft Surface, the high resolution screen does not work very well with v4, so I installed 1Password 6 as the view-only mode connected to the local file.

Is there any way I can make use of 1Password 6 with a local file? Since I paid for the license, it seems kinda stupid for me to change to a subscription model at this point in time.

-jeremy

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @fatoink,

I just installed the previous 1Password 6.3 version, added the local vault, and then updated to 6.5.401, no issues. Can you email us at support+windows@agilebits.com, we may figure something out for you.

For 1Password 4 on Surfaces, you can disable the display scaling feature to make it more usable and with upcoming Creators Update update soon, you can use the system enhanced scaling to improve it further. However, only 1Password 4 can work with local vaults, 1Password 6 is for 1Password.com service only right now. Right now, we're only focusing on 1Password 6 and 1Password.com service and it is going to be the future for us on Windows.

I can't find your license information with your forum's email address but depending on when you bought your license, we may be able to do something with it to switch it over to a subscription. If you bought it within the last 30 days, we can apply the full amount as credit on the 1Password.com account, so you wouldn't have to pay anything for a few years depending on what plan you choose.

• fatoink
    fatoink
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike, will follow up with an email to support.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fatoink: We will be looking forward to your email! :+1:

After the email to our support address, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• fatoink
    fatoink
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg, the support number is [#SDU-34298-978].

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fatoink: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll get back to you shortly! :)

ref: SDU-34298-978

• rumpadunk
    rumpadunk
    Community Member
    Options

Similar issue. I use Resilio Sync to sync my vault. This works great across 5 devices (2 Mac, 1 Windows, and 2 iOS devices), however my other Windows system will not pick up the changes. Resilio Sync itself syncs the changes but 1Password just operates using the cache. Anyway, the only way I found to have it update is to clear the sqlite cache files in AppData\Local\1Password\data. So, I updated, had to clear the cache to be able to re-open my vault and have the cache recreated, and now I'm at this login screen with no way to open my vault. How do I fix this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rumpadunk: As Mike mentioned above, the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app only supports local vaults for importing; they're read only and are not sync'd. You may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps (including 1Password 6), the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. Otherwise 1Password 4 supports local vaults fully.

• rumpadunk
    rumpadunk
    Community Member
    Options

I don't want a subscription based service. I want to own my data and not rely on any external services (including Internet access) for storage and sync. I was able to open the vault after signing up for an account and getting logged into 1Password 6.5, then I could open my existing and use it. Subscription based products that have MRC is the reason I left LastPass.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't want a subscription based service.

@rumpadunk: No argument there. That's just a matter of personal preference.

Personally though I find I get a lot more consistent improvement from services I'm subscribed to as opposed to one-time purchases (many of which have stopped receiving updates altogether). People badmouth TextExpander, but they didn't even have a Windows version (and the alternatives were...not great) until they introduced subscriptions. And the progress there is something I'm glad to pay for.

I want to own my data and not rely on any external services (including Internet access) for storage and sync.

Just to clarify, with 1Password.com, you still have access to your data in the app if you can't connect, as it's cached locally.

I was able to open the vault after signing up for an account and getting logged into 1Password 6.5, then I could open my existing and use it.

Keep in mind that local vaults only work as read-only for importing, so you won't be able to make any changes there. 1Password 6 doesn't have the ability to edit or sync data in local vaults.

P.S: I don't know what "MRC" is (and a Google search didn't prove helpful), so if it's safe for work I'd love to know! :blush:

• rumpadunk
    rumpadunk
    Community Member
    Options

Haha, yes, it's safe for work. Monthly recurring cost. Subscription based models are good ways to make customers sticky to your products and helps with forecasting of revenue to some extent (especially with contracts). So from your perspective, customers on the subscription based model are MRR (Monthly Recurring Revenue) and to your customers you are MRC (Monthly Recurring Cost). If you had infrastructure added to support subscription based model that would be MRC to you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rumpadunk: Ahhh thank you. That makes sense! I feel like I should have thought of that. :lol:

I'm not sure I believe that it's a good way to forecast revenue in most cases. It's actually kind of scary: If you screw up, you lose subscribers right away. Or if you're HBO and the Game of Thrones season is over...

On the other hand, while we're not perfect, if we stay on our game and keep making 1Password better, then everybody wins. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.