1Password 4 (local) versus 1Password 6 (hosted)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Junior Member
    Community Member
    Options

I hope it's OK to jump into this thread - I didn't want to start another one on the same (or similar) topic.

I recently re-installed Windows on my work machine and installed the latest version of 1Password at the time (which was an earlier version of the 6.x series). I didn't realise for a few weeks that I'm no longer able to edit any of my existing logins or notes, but I obviously now understand why that's not possible. I'm obviously disappointed that the default download option at the time I visited the site was 6.x and that it wasn't made clear to me during the installation that I wasn't going to be able to work with my local vault going forward, but that's life and I don't really want to argue the merits of this decision. It's your software, so you're entitled to take it in any direction that you see fit and I do agree that embracing "the cloud" is the right decision in the long-term for the majority of your customers.

With all of that in mind... please could someone at AgileBits tell me what I should do next?

I'm quite keen to keep using 1Password 6.x as that's where you're spending the vast majority of your development time (and I have a High DPI display, so it looks a lot nicer than the older 4.x versions did), but I don't really want to pay an annual subscription or store my data in the cloud. Do I have any options that fit in with those requirements, or do I need to look for an alternative to 1Password? That's obviously my least desired outcome as I've used 1Password on iOS, Mac and Windows for what seems like forever.

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere, and thanks for your help.

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @thatinkjar,

The short answer based on your requirements right now: not 1Password, unfortunately.

To stay with 1Password, it is either to keep using 1Password 4 with local vaults support as long as you have a current license for it or switch to 1Password.com which gives you all 1Password apps including 1Password 6 for Windows. Note the subscription gives you access to all future 1Password versions as well, no extra fees. If you don't want subscriptions, then sadly, you'd have to choose an alternative product. I wish I could say wait until 1Password 6 get support for local vaults/licenses but we don't know when that is coming but we want you to make a decision on what it can give you now, not what it can give you in the future.

Note that we are not starting to embrace the cloud right now, you could always use Dropbox or iCloud with 1Password for several years. We're just doing our own service because there's a point where we cannot deeply integrate with third party sync services anymore and have to do our own to add more advanced features like what we're doing with 1Password Families and Teams; ease of setting up 1Password for family members, sharing data, faster integrated sync/backup and so much more.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope it's OK to jump into this thread - I didn't want to start another one on the same (or similar) topic.

@thatinkjar: Not a problem! Thanks for reaching out. You didn't do anything wrong, but I did want to split you off into a separate discussion in the Windows category (as opposed to beta) so we can focus on your specific situation. I hope you don't mind.

I'm quite keen to keep using 1Password 6.x as that's where you're spending the vast majority of your development time (and I have a High DPI display, so it looks a lot nicer than the older 4.x versions did), but I don't really want to pay an annual subscription or store my data in the cloud. Do I have any options that fit in with those requirements, or do I need to look for an alternative to 1Password? That's obviously my least desired outcome as I've used 1Password on iOS, Mac and Windows for what seems like forever. Sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere, and thanks for your help.

At this time, there are really only two viable options, and it doesn't sound like either is precisely what you're asking for:

• Continue using 1Password 6 and switch to a 1Password.com account
    • Return to 1Password 4 to use local vaults without an account

We're just not to the point where we can support local vaults there or sell licenses for the new app, and it wouldn't really be feasible to give it away for free either. It sounds like you'd prefer to stick with 1Password 6, so why not give 1Password.com a try for a month? You don't have anything to lose, but that will allow you to continue using you preferred version and be able to make changes. But if that doesn't work for you, I'd rather you use another product that better fits your needs rather than be unhappy using 1Password — or nothing at all. Feel free to shoot us an email at support@1password.com if you want to give it a go, and we'll see if there's anything we can do to help. Just post the Support ID you receive here so we can find it and get back to you sooner. Cheers! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Junior Member
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

After giving this some more thought today, I've decided to switch back to version 4 for the foreseeable future. Thank you for the helpful replies, and I hope to get a chance to revisit version 6 in the future to see if it better fits my needs.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I understand completely. 1Password 6 has come a long way, but it doesn't yet have all of the features 1Password 4 does already. Be sure to reach out if you need anything. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.