Dropbox sync [supported in 1Password 4 using Dropbox client]

Options
anasazi
anasazi
Community Member
edited July 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi!

I just want to know for certain if the Dropbox sync option will be removed from 1Password?
I'm using it for a shared vault with my wife but I would also keep my apps up-to-date.
In the latest realse notes just mention this:

Due to upcoming external API changes, we are retiring 3rd party sync options (Dropbox & OneDrive)

So, does this mean that if I want to share a vault with my wife AND use the new versions this will not be possible?
Is my choice to move to 1Password Famliy?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@anasazi: We don't have any plans to remove support for syncing with Dropbox. We've only ever removed features due to security concerns, and have even brought at least one back when we were able to come up with a solution. I agree though that this line is a bit confusing:

Due to upcoming external API changes, we are retiring 3rd party sync options (Dropbox & OneDrive)

The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app has never had support for local vaults or 3rd party sync, but the presence of Dropbox and OneDrive as options for migrating data into 1Password.com accounts was confusing and arguably misleading. While there was basic support for the Dropbox API to read the data, it wasn't possible to make changes to the data there; so with the upcoming API changes, we've decided to remove those options and read a local folder from disk instead. This can still be a local folder in Dropbox or OneDrive though.

So with regard to 1Password in general and 1Password 6 in particular, or recommendation remains the same: try a 1Password.com membership. Especially with 1Password Families account, it's easy to share with loved ones, and you don't have to deal with configuring sync for each vault on each device for each family member; you each simply login to your account and you're done. While it's certainly still possible to sync and share using Dropbox with 1Password 4, I'm glad my family doesn't have to deal with that any more. It's fine for me, but for most people it's just too much hassle.

• anasazi
    anasazi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your answer!

But if I use local vault for 1Password 6 and share that folder with Dropbox, can I still use 1Password iOS app with Dropbox synchronization?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@anasazi: You're welcome! As I mentioned, since it isn't possible to make changes to local vaults in 1Password 6, you'd essentially be re-importing the vault's data each time there if you made any changes on another device, so it's not really recommended.

• ekontrec
    ekontrec
    Community Member
    Options

This is a complete cop-out. You support Dropbox sync with Mac, but now not Windows. You built a product from the beginning that supported Dropbox syncing and now are taking it away to force people to use your subscription based model. You don't want customers any longer to use the pay once/use on many devices option because it doesn't make you money. Soon enough we'll see that you'll remove Dropbox and iCloud syncing on Mac and in doing so will force all your users to use the pay monthly option.

This is what's wrong with the world these days - forcing people to do what they don't want. I paid for both OSX and Windows standalone products + the full iOS package and got in bed with you guys. i paid fully for your products and have the expectation that it will be supported to my satisfaction. It's easy to point the finger at 'external factors' for a lame excuse that you will be retiring features.

I use dropbox as my primary sync method on all fronts - Mac, Win and iOS. You guys just effectively killed my password management workflow by removing this Windows dropbox support. Next month it will be iOS support and then after that comes Mac removal.

Why don't you spend some time and effort to work with Dropbox in this case to see if there is a way to get the Dropbox sync to work? You are losing the support of your customers when you drop features like hot potatoes. I spent well over $100 to buy all the said products above and I would like to see some ROI on my investment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This is a complete cop-out. You support Dropbox sync with Mac, but now not Windows.

@ekontrec: 1Password for Windows version 4 supports Dropbox sync (and WLAN Server).

You built a product from the beginning that supported Dropbox syncing and now are taking it away to force people to use your subscription based model.

Even depending on which "from the beginning" you're referring to, that's just not the case. Originally 1Password for Windows did not support Dropbox. That's something we added later on. And the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app has never supported syncing with Dropbox, only reading a vault stored there, which it still does — I've got one loaded via a local folder myself. It's just read-only, as has always been the case.

You don't want customers any longer to use the pay once/use on many devices option because it doesn't make you money. Soon enough we'll see that you'll remove Dropbox and iCloud syncing on Mac and in doing so will force all your users to use the pay monthly option.

Nope. By all means, if you've already purchased what you need, continue using the same setup! But keep in mind that you seem to be complaining that you can't use the new thing without paying for it.

This is what's wrong with the world these days - forcing people to do what they don't want. I paid for both OSX and Windows standalone products + the full iOS package and got in bed with you guys.

While I think that this is perhaps a conversation more appropriate for an entirely different forum, no one can force you to do what you don't want with regard to 1Password. No one has taken anything away from you, and you can continue to use what you paid for. But as with any other products, you just don't get something new which you haven't paid for.

i paid fully for your products and have the expectation that it will be supported to my satisfaction. It's easy to point the finger at 'external factors' for a lame excuse that you will be retiring features.

That's not how it works. Purchasing a 1Password license does not — and never has — entitled you to all of the work we do in the future in perpetuity. As you said yourself, that's "because it doesn't make [us] money". We make a living selling software, not selling user data, selling ads, or selling out. I'm sure that you appreciate being paid for your work too.

I use dropbox as my primary sync method on all fronts - Mac, Win and iOS. You guys just effectively killed my password management workflow by removing this Windows dropbox support. Next month it will be iOS support and then after that comes Mac removal.

Nope. You can still sync with Dropbox on all of those platforms. Heck, I do. I agree that you'd have a legitimate complaint if we'd done what you say, but that just hasn't happened.

Why don't you spend some time and effort to work with Dropbox in this case to see if there is a way to get the Dropbox sync to work? You are losing the support of your customers when you drop features like hot potatoes.

We've only actually removed features due to security concerns, and we're actually in the process of updating the mobile apps for the new APIs. So that Dropbox sync won't just stop working for with 1Password you on your devices. And it won't cost you a thing.

I spent well over $100 to buy all the said products above and I would like to see some ROI on my investment.

We don't accept outside investment, but all of our products have received regular updates and many new features and improvements over time. Unless you purchased 1Password yesterday, you've been a beneficiary of that; and if you've been a long-time customer, you've received months and years of updates at no additional cost. We can't offer you a direct financial return on your 1Password purchase (though if time is money, you've probably done so indirectly; I know I have), but when you chose to support us, we didn't stop working for you. And the next update you receive will be a testament to that as well, in addition to any help you need with 1Password. We can't give you everything you want — especially not for free — but we're here for you if you need us.

• ekontrec
    ekontrec
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty You keep saying that I'm trying to get something for free, that I'm 'trying' to use features that I haven't paid for. Well guess what? I am paying for it. I have as mentioned already paid for: standalone OSX & Windows 4 clients, iOS client with full upgrade, and my work has a Teams account where the 1password6 Windows comes into the picture. So enough about the freeloading nonsense please. How else could I know about whats going on with 1P6 unless I'm actively using and paying for it.

My gripe is that it seems like you say one thing an do another. Case in point about the Dropbox and 1P6. You've had it there, albeit in R/O mode, since you started 1P6 but pulled it now on v6.5. You say that you support Dropbox, but now only as a local folder. If you say that you support Dropbox, then fully support it - instead of a half arsed solution. I'd rather you just say that you don't support it period and stop misleading people. This is what this thread it about - people are confused about what you guys are talking about and are being misled.

You disagree with my points about taking away features and just dismiss them as untrue. Well I beg to differ. You are only mentioning the state of the nation today. Your points may be true today, but tomorrow is a different day. Mark me, it won't be the last time a much loved feature or option will be on the chopping block for some arbitrary excuse.

"Due to upcoming external API changes, we are retiring..." to me translates as starting the process for "what wording/tool can we use to encourage those standalone product users from jumping onto the subscription model by polluting their experience with the standalone products". Soon enough, you will stop supplying updates to those products and then your customers' hands will be tied - either fork up, catch a different bus, or risk running insecure software.

1P4 supports Dropbox fully as you said, so why not 1P6? I don't think I've ever seen a solid reason/explanation as to why it "isn't possible to make changes to local vaults in 1Password 6". My hunch is it isn't a technical reason, rather a economic one. Windows users aren't going to evaporate anytime soon. I run 1P4 on my home PC and 1P6 on my work PC. I'd rather not have to maintain 2 separate versions but I have little choice at the moment.

Finally I'd like a download link for 6.4.377 so I can downgrade my 1P6. I, like probably many others, have inadvertently upgraded and only realized after the fact.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

Just to pop my two pence in. I'm very clear that AgileBits are moving to a subscription model and that's why I migrated from my original Dropbox Solution to a 'family' account. I thought about it for a while then realised that AgileBits had been fairly generous with their upgrade policy in the past on Mac but realise that a subscription model is the way to go.

I use Windows, Mac and iOS (wife uses Mac and iOS) and having to buy separate licenses, sync via Dropbox or OneDrive for each of us, was a bit of a pain. After using the family model for a while - I know realise this is a good model as it supports a decent company providing decent software that, if you think about the data the service protects, is well worth it.

That being said - I could have stuck with 1Password 4 on Windows (and I'm sure AgileBits would continue to support it) but decided I needed to move on.

Strangely, I've also come to realise that I actually don't need Dropbox anymore (which is a shame) and have moved all my data across to OneDrive and OneDrive for Business (nothing to do with AgileBits of course).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You keep saying that I'm trying to get something for free, that I'm 'trying' to use features that I haven't paid for. Well guess what? I am paying for it. I have as mentioned already paid for: standalone OSX & Windows 4 clients, iOS client with full upgrade, and my work has a Teams account where the 1password6 Windows comes into the picture. So enough about the freeloading nonsense please. How else could I know about whats going on with 1P6 unless I'm actively using and paying for it.

@ekontrec: Sorry for the confusion. This is the only reference I made to something being free:

We can't give you everything you want — especially not for free — but we're here for you if you need us.

So I wasn't really saying what you seem to think I did. It sounds like you've paid for 1Password for Windows version 4, so you're entitled to use that until you no longer have a computer that will run it.

My gripe is that it seems like you say one thing an do another. Case in point about the Dropbox and 1P6. You've had it there, albeit in R/O mode, since you started 1P6 but pulled it now on v6.5. You say that you support Dropbox, but now only as a local folder. If you say that you support Dropbox, then fully support it - instead of a half arsed solution. I'd rather you just say that you don't support it period and stop misleading people. This is what this thread it about - people are confused about what you guys are talking about and are being misled.

I'm sorry if we've been unclear on this point: Dropbox sync and local vaults are supported in 1Password for Windows version 4. 1Password.com accounts are supported in 1Password 6. .

I think the confusion comes from needing to have a means to import data into 1Password 6. We really don't want anyone to have to enter data by hand in order to migrate. Given that we have some support for importing data from 3rd party apps, we would be negligent if we didn't support importing from earlier versions of our own.

I hope that clears things up. This has always been the case, but please let us know if there are ways you'd like us to make this clearer in future updates.

You disagree with my points about taking away features and just dismiss them as untrue. Well I beg to differ. You are only mentioning the state of the nation today. Your points may be true today, but tomorrow is a different day. Mark me, it won't be the last time a much loved feature or option will be on the chopping block for some arbitrary excuse.

What feature did we take away?

"Due to upcoming external API changes, we are retiring..." to me translates as starting the process for "what wording/tool can we use to encourage those standalone product users from jumping onto the subscription model by polluting their experience with the standalone products". Soon enough, you will stop supplying updates to those products and then your customers' hands will be tied - either fork up, catch a different bus, or risk running insecure software.

We're continuing to support 1Password 4 with security updates as needed. And we haven't made changes that negatively affect the user experience there to push people to subscriptions either.

1P4 supports Dropbox fully as you said, so why not 1P6? I don't think I've ever seen a solid reason/explanation as to why it "isn't possible to make changes to local vaults in 1Password 6". My hunch is it isn't a technical reason, rather a economic one. Windows users aren't going to evaporate anytime soon. I run 1P4 on my home PC and 1P6 on my work PC. I'd rather not have to maintain 2 separate versions but I have little choice at the moment.

Since this has been discussed many times over the course over the last year and you didn't ask, I didn't think to address the question. But you're right that it needs answering. We already have an app that supports local vaults on Windows. It's called 1Password 4. However, from the beta of 1Password Teams in November 2015 the number one complaint we had (by a long shot) was that there was no native app on Windows. 1Password.com has a useful web interface, but it's a far cry from a native app. Initially we had thought that we could retrofit 1Password 4 for 1Password.com support, but that proved to be impossible. That set us back considerably, and is the reason we didn't have something — even a beta — for quite some time: We needed to build a brand new Windows app. That's why there are two Windows apps today: We already had a standalone version, which could not be made to support the subscription service, so instead of making another standalone version, we've focused on making 1Password 6 work with 1Password.com from the start.

Finally I'd like a download link for 6.4.377 so I can downgrade my 1P6. I, like probably many others, have inadvertently upgraded and only realized after the fact.

Sorry for the confusion. It was in the release notes, but I appreciate that not everyone reads those. You can download pretty much any version of 1Password from our update site. However, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Revering to an older version won't get you Dropbox sync or local vault support; it works the same way there as it does now. The only difference is that we've tried to present it more clearly in the UI as an import option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@architect1337: Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad if 1Password.com is helping you and your loved ones secure — and share — your important data. :blush:

• jonathanmorgan
    jonathanmorgan
    Community Member
    Options

I apologize for re-opening this, but is there any plan to add Dropbox support to the windows version of 6 at some point? How long will you continue to support 4 on Windows? I like what you are doing, I'm open to a subscription (I keep buying more licenses, might as well get on the family plan), but I am cautious with security, and I need to look more into your servers before I'm going to be ready to switch to them (no offense, and not certain I trust Dropbox more, but inertia, and I have some credentials I'd have to carve out since I assume your servers are in Canada... though, again, this might end up being a net positive). I was actually ready to get a subscription to get 6 for windows until I found it doesn't support Dropbox. I'm willing to pay a subscription for the general quality of your software, but it does seem odd that you have dropbox in every platform but windows. I'd also be willing to discuss in email, but I tried emailing support about it, got the "we're busy" message, didn't think this warranted a "ticket". Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonathanmorgan: First of all, you did the right thing by reaching out a second time, whether that be via email or here in the forums, but you shouldn't have had to do that. I'm really sorry that our response times aren't acceptable right now, and while we're working hard to improve them, it isn't right for you to have to wait in the mean time. You deserve better. All of our awesome customers do. :(

Now, I think you may actually be asking a few very different questions here, so I'll try to address your concerns as best I can.

First and foremost, 1Password 4 will continue to receive critical updates for some time. I can't say exactly how long that will be, but the idea is that we want 1Password 6 to be ready to replace it. That's what we're focused on right now. At some point, like any legacy software product, 1Password 4 will stop receiving updates altogether, but we're not there yet.

However, as far as support, we haven't ever actually set an official cutoff. If you've purchased a product from us, we're happy to help you use it until you literally no longer have a machine to run it. In that vein, we haven't actually helped anyone with 1Password 1 or 2 for years, but that's because we simply don't hear from anyone running those any more. And that's likely because everyone has long since upgraded to newer hardware that won't run it. We do, however, regularly hear from folks running 1Password 3 still, and I even helped one earlier today. So if 1Password 4 fits your needs, there's no harm in sticking with it, and we're always here to help.

Regarding Dropbox, it makes perfect sense that you'd wonder. While this isn't immediately apparent from the outside, we're actually working to update the mobile apps with their new API so it will continue to function there. Additionally, on the desktop, it will continue to be supported in the standalone apps, since the Dropbox client on the computer handles syncing the data. You'll just need to make sure you're up to date with their software. The mobile apps can't work like this though, so we need to explicitly build support into our apps there — and in this case update them. And while it's definitely confusing, because the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app has only read-only support for local vaults for importing, it doesn't make sense to have a separate option there, as it's easy to open them from a local folder as is.

As a long-time Dropbox user myself, this is pretty close to my heart, and while I'm a bit concerned myself anytime I hear about upcoming API changes (I have other apps that use it), at least with regard to 1Password this won't affect my workflow. But at the same time, while I was skeptical at first, 1Password.com has become indispensable to me, even as I continue to sync some local vaults with Dropbox.

And you can bet that you're not alone in security being a concern any time there's something new, so I'm glad you brought it up security with regard to 1Password.com specifically. It's very much something we put a lot of thought into, since an attacker might break into our servers and steal the database. Clearly we're likely to be a an attractive target. There's a lot more detail in our security white paper (which is actually a really fun read, even if you're not into cryptography), but with a 1Password Account, three things are needed to do anything useful with your data. We usually think of it as two, but there's one more we can't forget:

1. Your encrypted data — without this, well...you're out of luck.
    2. Your Secret Key
    3. Your Master Password

Without each of these, it's impossible to access anything you have stored at 1Password.com. With a local vault, only the Master Password and vault are needed. That's not to say it's insecure. But we needed to take it a step further for storing people's data on our servers, so that even if the server is breached, it is impossible for someone to gain access to your data.

And more awesomely, with a 1Password Account, it is also impossible for someone to perform a brute force attack on your Master Password to try to decrypt the data — because they also need to guess the (randomly generated, 128-bit) Account Key.

Finally, the Secret Key and Master Password are never transmitted: only you have them. The Secret Key is generated locally on your device when you setup the account, and the Master Password is chosen by you. So even if we are compromised, we simply don't have the keys to anyone's data.

Anyway, I hope this helps answer some of your questions, and I'll also reply shortly via email in case you'd prefer to continue the conversation there. Cheers! :)

ref: SBW-16433-178

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonathanmorgan: I just realized I completely forgot to reply to your comments about Canada. Sorry about that! Currently we're using AWS servers in the US, but we'd like to host servers there (and other places) eventually as well.

• jonathanmorgan
    jonathanmorgan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed response. I've continued to mull, and I like what you've done to make getting at the underlying data you store much more complex than just hacking your servers. I also must admit that using 1password.com to sync would address my other parallel fear, that dropbox will (or is already) doing something that could expose my data, or that its client will become so intrusive and performance-killing that I'll no longer be comfortable using it. Thanks again!

• MikeT
    Options

On beahlf of Brenty, you're welcome.

You're actually not the only person with these performance/battery life and hijacking concerns, a lot of people were only using Dropbox just for 1Password and as soon as 1Password.com became available, a lot has switched to it and removed Dropbox.

If you have any questions, please do let us know.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @freediverx,

Thank you for taking time to contact us and your support over the years! We would not be here without you and we really appreciate it.

There was a lot of rumours on the internet over the last couple of days, so we decided to write a post in our blog and clarify the situation with standalone vaults and explain why we are in love with 1Password Memberships. Please check it out:

Why We Love 1Password Memberships

Please let me know if it helps you understand what is going on. If you have any additional questions, feel free to raise them in your reply. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• lostlogik
    lostlogik
    Community Member
    Options

Going to voice my concerns too. I have also sought alternatives to Adobe products because of their subscription model, having previously been a user of their standalone versions. Your switch to subscriptions fills me with dread. If I like something, I'll buy it and pay for updates but being forced into a monthly cashflow hit to maintain the products I no longer own but effectively hire sucks. And I will admit to concerns about my data now being held on your servers, a hacker's treasure chest.

Having used and recommended your product since the outset, I'm reluctant so to do moving forward.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

While the issues mentioned here seem isolated to the Windows version of the product, I get a strong sense that Agilebits intends to eventually move their entire product line from standalone licensing to a subscription model.

@freediverx: I think this is the crux of it. Keep in mind that we've just updated both 1Password for iOS and 1Password for Android to use the new Dropbox API. Frankly, if we were planning on removing support for local vaults and 3rd party sync, that would be a huge waste of our time as far as development and testing.

What I’m not comfortable with, however, is the growing trend with standalone licenses being replaced by mandatory subscriptions. [...] I’d appreciate if Agilebits would come clean with their future plans. Do you intend to move entirely to a subscription model in the future and eliminate support for syncing via other services such as iCloud?

I hear you. I can't divulge future plans generally, as for the most part they haven't been made; but as we've mentioned countless times both here on the forums, our blog, and on Twitter, 1Password.com memberships aren't mandatory. And, as Dave mentioned in the blog post Greg referenced, we don't have plans to drop local vaults in general.

If you like the setup you have, we'd prefer you continue using it. We've worked really hard to make the "standalone" version of 1Password, as it's begun to be called, a great way to secure our digital lives. After all, that was the only 1Password for a decade. And we use it too. We believe that 1Password.com memberships offer a better experience, but that's subjective, and if you don't want to use that you don't have to. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Going to voice my concerns too. I have also sought alternatives to Adobe products because of their subscription model, having previously been a user of their standalone versions. Your switch to subscriptions fills me with dread.

@lostlogik: I can understand why, but the fact is that we haven't "switched" to subscriptions, and you don't have to sign up for a 1Password.com membership if you don't want to.

If I like something, I'll buy it and pay for updates but being forced into a monthly cashflow hit to maintain the products I no longer own but effectively hire sucks.

I feel the same way viscerally, but the reality is that you and I don't own software. No one does, apart from the owners of the companies who make it. I like the idea of "owning" things as well, but this is really only practical with something like a house or a car, since you can resell it later if you want to. The flip side of that is that it's also your responsibility to maintain it at your own expense, and the only way it will get better is if you invest in improving it. I don't have a lot of apps that can still be maintained and improved by a single person. There are certainly some good ones out there (Overcast, for example), but for the most part none of us has the ability to maintain and improve our own software — especially when it comes to something as critical as security. And you probably want someone working on security. That's what we do so you don't have to, because we love it, but we also need to get paid. Just something to think about.

And I will admit to concerns about my data now being held on your servers, a hacker's treasure chest.

Totally. That's our concern as well. After all, we wouldn't use 1Password.com either if we couldn't make it at least as secure as the standalone apps. But in fact 1Password.com is more secure, as the data is also encrypted using the 128-bit randomly generated Secret Key, which is also never transmitted to us. So there's an additional layer of security there as well. When you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Secret Key is created locally, your Master Password is only known by you, and neither is ever transmitted to us, only you have the means to decrypt the data.

As I mentioned above, if someone gains access to our servers and dumps the full database (we've designed 1Password.com with this in mind), they simply don't have what they need to decrypt it, as each individual user alone has the keys to their data. So an attacker won't have that and can't get it from AgileBits. And apart from our own efforts, we participate in external audits and cooperate with independent security researchers to find any flaws so we can fix them. Security never sleeps, but we're on the case.

Having used and recommended your product since the outset, I'm reluctant so to do moving forward.

That makes sense, actually, if you're basing that decision on the assumption that 1Password.com is both insecure and mandatory, but I hope I've demonstrated that neither is the case. Either way, please let me know if you have any questions at all. And, of course, if you're happy with the setup you're using, you can continue to do so. No one is going to take that away from you. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017
    Options

@freediverx: Great question! The short answer is "Canadian law and the fact that we don't have the ability to decrypt any of the data", but I think our website says it better than I ever could:

Absent a restraint authorized by Canadian law, customers for whom responsive data is held will be notified and will be provided a complete copy of the request for their data.

So while it is within our power to turn over _encrypted data, there is a high bar that must be met before we will even do that:

Information for Law Enforcement

That's another reason we the 128-bit, randomly-generated Secret Key is also used to encrypt the data.

But this, to me, is the most important thing as a 1Password user myself:

Secure Data is owned exclusively by our customers and we have no plaintext access to this information. This means we have no means by which we are capable of providing decrypted information which may be stored in 1Password account vaults.

We just don't have the kind of information that would be useful to anyone targeting 1Password users, whether that be malicious hackers or governments, and that makes 1Password a much less interesting target for both. Cheers! :)

• beren
    beren
    Community Member
    Options

See, this doesn't assure me of anything. As a long time customer of many different software packages, you see some that are either not around anymore, or don't support "legacy" devices. My iPad 1 can only run 1Password 3, but instead of helping guys with older devices, dropbox support was removed instead of updated to v2 so there's no way to easily keep it updated. Not even with wifi sync (which was also removed)

I used a baby app that tracked feeding, sleep, medicine, etc. It started with local wifi sync, then cloud. It was great. wifi sync was removed, now the company closed up shop. No more cloud sync. The app is usable, sure, but only for 1 parent on a single device.

What is your reply to people who follow the advice of "Use 1password on a thumb drive when traveling to hostile locations/governments" if there is no local vault support? Not everyone has internet access all the time, and some people (like me) use an encrypted vault on a portable drive to use with some computers. online accounts are a revenue stream sure, but some of us don't mind a cheap upgrade fee, and some of us want to control where our vaults are being stored. I'd like to see webdav or some other support added so I can use my personal "cloud" to keep the vault up to date. I don't have 60tb of space to not use it.

• @beren: It's great to a have a contingency plan, although I certainly hope we're not going anywhere. :chuffed:

you see some that are either not around anymore, or don't support "legacy" devices.

For 1Password memberships, we know we have some work to do to ensure not only that we won't lock you out of your data (which, of course, we would never do), but that we can't do it, even if we were all mind-controlled by evil aliens. We're currently considering the best way to do this and, while we don't have anything to announce just yet, we do want to make it easy to do as our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts suggests – judge us by our capabilities and not our intentions.

As for legacy support, there's always going to be a breaking point with older versions. We do our best to keep them running as long as possible, but there's a point where older versions are so incapable of interacting with new that their use is limited for most customers. Given the fact that 1Password 3 is only now reaching the end of it's life, I'd say it's done pretty well for itself. In the specific case of 1Password 4 for Windows, we know we need to keep it running for our standalone users and have recently pushed updates to address forthcoming changes to Firefox and Chrome to ensure it does just that. :chuffed:

What is your reply to people who follow the advice of "Use 1password on a thumb drive when traveling to hostile locations/governments" if there is no local vault support?

My first reply would be to use Travel Mode, but barring that, I've heard of folks who completely uninstall 1Password when traveling. With standalone vaults, you reinstall and sync up at your destination and with a 1Password membership, you reinstall and sign back in. No matter how you use 1Password, your database remains available offline so an internet connection isn't necessary to access your data. Any changes will be saved for later and synced up when you're connected again.

some of us don't mind a cheap upgrade fee, and some of us want to control where our vaults are being stored.

Ultimately, the core message of Dave's post is that we have no plans to remove standalone vaults, so while I can't plot out a five-year-plan for you, this is certainly not something you need to worry about now or in the foreseeable future.

I'd like to see webdav or some other support added so I can use my personal "cloud" to keep the vault up to date.

You might find this comment thread of interest here. You won't find a promise of WebDAV support there, but it does look like you're not alone and this is certainly something that would be interesting to look into. We'll see! :wink:

• beren
    beren
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the great reply, that's why I love this company. Maybe someday we'll see 1Password 6.9 with local vault and dropbox support so a standalone version doesn't have to be maintained :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Right now we're focused on some big stuff to support major web browsers and accessibility, but you never know. :)

This discussion has been closed.