Getting a new Mac how do I uninstall on old Mac

randivanthe
randivanthe
Community Member

Will my 1Password account on my iPad keep the logins and passwords if I delete the 1Password account on my old iMac? I get my new MacBook Pro tomorrow.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Getting a new Mac how do I uninstall on old Mac & will passwords stay on my iOS 1Password account/de

Comments

• randivanthe
    randivanthe
    Community Member

I have Version 6.6.4 on my about to be "old" iMac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@randivanthe: You can follow this guide to remove 1Password from your Mac:

How to uninstall 1Password

But it would be much easier and more secure from the standpoint of anything else on the computer to wipe the drive reinstall macOS completely. That way whomever ends up with it doesn't get your browser history and whatnot. Cheers! :)

• randivanthe
    randivanthe
    Community Member

My husband is getting my old iMac and it will be wiped clean. I have 1Password on my iPad and on iCloud. When I set up my new Mac and install 1Password on it will all of my passwords still be in iCloud and on my iPad so I can just sign in to my 1Password account and sync and my passwords will be transferred /synced from my iPad to my new Mac? Is this clearer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My husband is getting my old iMac and it will be wiped clean.

@randivanthe: Perfect! I'm sure He'll enjoy it. :)

I have 1Password on my iPad and on iCloud. When I set up my new Mac and install 1Password on it will all of my passwords still be in iCloud and on my iPad so I can just sign in to my 1Password account and sync and my passwords will be transferred /synced from my iPad to my new Mac? Is this clearer?

Crystal! If you're saying your 1Password data using iCloud, when you install the app you just need to be logged into the same Apple ID, and then sync your existing data from iCloud.

But to clarify, you'll only have a 1Password account if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. It may be something to consider, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. And we have a family plan too if you want to help your loved ones both secure their data and share with you. Just a thought. Cheers! :)

• randivanthe
    randivanthe
    Community Member

We had a Tech type certified Windows/Apple speaker who came to our user group meeting and he said to never use the extension that goes with Safari. He said it is not safe and can be hacked. He went on to say 1Password get hacks all of the time, but the users are never told when it happens or what info is taken. I took off the 1Password extension in Safari as a result. I have two step factorization on my iCloud account and a super strong password. I tried getting the family one to work, but was never able to, so my husband's 1Password works wth his IMac and devices and syncs okay and mine is independent of his account with 1Password and works fine.

• randivanthe
    randivanthe
    Community Member

I think the reason why we can't get the family plan to work is because we don't share an iCloud account. My husband's is separate from my iCloud account. It seems to work for us to keep them independent. I'm the techie in the house and he is clueless.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We had a Tech type certified Windows/Apple speaker who came to our user group meeting and he said to never use the extension that goes with Safari. He said it is not safe and can be hacked. He went on to say 1Password get hacks all of the time, but the users are never told when it happens or what info is taken. I took off the 1Password extension in Safari as a result.

@randivanthe: Well that's pretty terrifying and misleading. There are a few things to keep in mind, and then I'll leave it to you to decide what's best for you:

• First and foremost, when you use 1Password, only you ever have access to your data. It is encrypted using your Master Password, and as a result that's also necessary to decrypt it.
    • Your Master Password is chosen by you and never stored with your data or transmitted, so even if you sync your data, it's just an encrypted blob which, again, can only be decrypted using the Master Password that only you know.
    • Because of that, even if someone "hacks" iCloud, Dropbox, 1Password.com or anything else you use to sync your data, they won't have the what they need to decrypt it (your Master Password, and, in the case of 1Password.com, also the Secret Key). So while we haven't actually been hacked, even if we were, that wouldn't put your data at risk, because we simply don't have what the attacker would need to unlock it.
    • The app doesn't decrypt all of your data when you unlock it, only individual items as you access them. That way the vast majority of your data remains encrypted at all times, even as you use the app.
    • And finally, the 1Password extension doesn't have your data either. It depends on the app for that. When you install the 1Password extension, you also need to authorize it in your browser so that 1Password doesn't communicate with an impostor, and 1Password also validate the identity of the browser itself. Last but not least, when you select a login to use in your browser, 1Password verifies that it is genuine (not a request from a malicious extension), and then sends only the data needed to complete the request.

There's more to it than that of course, but that should give you a good overview of our security model, from start to finish.

I have two step factorization on my iCloud account and a super strong password. I tried getting the family one to work, but was never able to, so my husband's 1Password works wth his IMac and devices and syncs okay and mine is independent of his account with 1Password and works fine.

That's great! It's confusing because Apple offers two relatively similar options, so if you're not yet using their newer two- factor authentication, definitely set that up.

I think the reason why we can't get the family plan to work is because we don't share an iCloud account. My husband's is separate from my iCloud account. It seems to work for us to keep them independent. I'm the techie in the house and he is clueless.

Sorry for the confusion there! 1Password.com doesn't use iCloud at all, so that won't be a factor. 1Password.com automatically stores and syncs the data you store there, so there's no need to setup a 3rd party sync option like iCloud.

But if you haven't signed up for a 1Password.com membership, you're right that while you can sync your data using iCloud, it isn't possible to share data between iCloud accounts. You'd both need to be using the same iCloud account for that to work. But a 1Password Families plan with 1Password.com makes it super easy to share data with your loved ones.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with, and be sure to have a great weekend! :)

• randivanthe
    randivanthe
    Community Member

Thanks for all of your help. You were clear and concise and used user friendly terms so I could follow you very easily. Kudos to you and let your superior your comments were spot on and extremely helpful. You have put my mind at ease. Your time and effort is greatly appreciate. I can now go ahead and turn off my worry button!!! I will continue to recommend 1Password to my students.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow. You're most welcome! And...thank you! :love:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the kind words — especially "concise": not something often said about me! :lol:

It sounds like you should be all set, but please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions — or worries. We're here for you. :chuffed:

• JBallin
    JBallin
    Community Member
    edited May 2017

@randivanthe That speaker may have been confusing 1PWD with LastPass, they've had browser extension vulnerabilities recently.

Additionally there was some recent fear about how auto-fill can fill fields you didn't intend to fill (such as credit card info) because they are invisible. So be careful autofilling with anything in 1PWD that has personal info (your "identities" for example may have a social security number). A plain login (user and password) won't share any other info.

BTW I use the safari extension, works great.

I'm confirming you can keep your "worry button" OFF! :p

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your ideas about that! Indeed, it doesn't sound like the speaker had been talking about 1Password. I'm glad the OP asked us about that so we could clear things up! :)

This discussion has been closed.