Windows license

Options

Comments

• rekkss
    rekkss
    Community Member
    Options

From MikeT's post from March 10:

We've got a big 1Password 6.4 update for you. You can read the entire changelog here. Note: this new version is for 1Password.com members using 1Password 6, this is not for 1Password 4 customers using local standalone vaults yet.

The emphasis on the word "yet" was mine. Wait, and now you're saying you won't even be bothered to further develop 1Password for Windows for standalone licenses?

Gee, I guess I have to look elsewhere. Out of principle, I never have paid nor will I ever pay to rent software. And I won't allow my passwords to be managed for me without my control in some remote server. So my Windows license is a relic now? Wow, goes to show how much you care about you long time customers. The greed got to you Agilebits.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nobody is saying that but you. Not only are you adding emphasis, you're putting words into people's mouths and jumping into other's conversations to do it, so I've split you off into a separate discussion since your comments aren't actually related to the one you originally posted in. We want to keep things friendly on the forums for everyone who visits, so bear in mind that this isn't your personal space. We're happy to have you here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

And after all, we're here to help, and there are things you can do to facilitate this:

Help us help you

I can't speak for you, but my 1Password 4 license isn't a relic. I still use it daily. If 1Password.com didn't exist and make it so much easier for me to use 1Password with my loved ones, I'd use it even still more. And while we care about all of our customers, that doesn't mean a single license purchase entitles you to all of the work we do in perpetuity. That, frankly, sounds like a pretty greedy proposition.

And while your license never expires and you can use that version so long as you have a computer that will run it, it's important to keep in mind that "owning" software isn't really as ideal as some people want to believe. Owning a house, for example, means you can sell it later, potentially for a profit. But the flip side of that is that you're responsible for paying to maintain it, and for improvements. Pros and cons. Not really applicable to software.

Since most people expect us not only maintenance but also continual improvement from software, we offer 1Password.com memberships so that everyone's needs are met: customers get all of the latest updates, and we get to keep making it better without having to try to build single large updates, which are more complex to build and test, and put a huge burden on the user to figure out if they want to pay for the upgrade, buy it, register it, install it, and potentially deal with major changes to their workflow all at once. Breaking things down into smaller updates that aren't a separate charge reduces the impact to both users' workflows and finances. And subscription revenue makes all of that possible.

Now, if you simply don't like subscriptions, that's fine. But I think the context is important — the big picture — especially when we're talking about something as personal as our finances.

This discussion has been closed.