Forgot Master Password

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Lost master password on family account..

Comments

• daup
    daup
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have a family licence for Windows. I have 1Password on my android phone as well. I've forgotten the master password for the windows licence. What can I do?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @daup - Thank you for contacting us. I'm sorry to hear about your Master Password. By design, we don't store your Master Password for security reasons therefore we can't reset this. You can guess your Master Password without the fear of being locked out. Remember to make sure your CAPS lock is off and spaces do count. There are a couple of additional tips listed in this guide that might help you:
    https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If you can't remember the Master Password the only other option will be to start over. Sorry for not having a better answer for you. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

• daup
    daup
    Community Member
    Options

@Frank Thanks for your help. If I start over on Windows will my backup on dropbox or android be wiped as well? How can I ensure I don't lose my data in my android account?

• Frank
    Options

Hi @daup - Good question! The reset will only erase the data within the app itself and it won't affect Dropbox. But keep in mind, the data that is being synced via Dropbox is encrypted with your Master Password - so you will need to know your Master Password in order to access the data that is being synced via Dropbox. Are you able to access your 1Password data from your Android device?

• daup
    daup
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I can access my 1 Password data on my android and it would sync with my Mac through dropbox. I no longer have the Mac. The windows account has never been used much and the android master password doesn't open it - so maybe I never registered them together. I'll erase and restart the Windows licence and then look for ways to link them. Thanks again for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daup: It sounds like we're on the right track then. Please make sure you have the Dropbox client installed on your PC, and then you can open your vault in 1Password (File > Open 1Password Vault) from your Dropbox folder. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• daup
    daup
    Community Member
    Options

Can I use drop box online to open my vault in 1Password? I'd need to uninstall my husband's dropbox and install mine to follow your instructions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daup: While you could have him login to your Dropbox account and simply share it between the two of you, if he already has his own it might make more sense to share the 1Password vault between your accounts:

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/19

That said, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

And a 1Password Families plan makes it much, much easier to share data with your loved ones, since there's nothing for them to setup when you do so. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.